Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: KETTLE CREEK TACKLE SHOP

Quote:

flybop wrote:
For anyone interested in the history of Potter co and the Black Forest there are a couple good paper backs. They are sub-titled "Strange Events in the Black Forest". vol 1 is "Fobidden Land" and vol 2 is, "Amazing Indeed". The author is Robert R. Lyman.

I've read those books and they are not so much about history as about "tales", such as reports of giant "Thunderbirds" etc. Entertaining but not informative.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 11:32

From Mont Co, Pa
Yes, the original thread was rather difficult to decipher. I was fishing in that area last summer and went into the general store in Cross Fork and bought a small booklet called 'The Story Of A Ghost Town" (part 1). It's a brief but interesting read about the rise and fall of a once bustling lumber town. Today there are around 80 people in this little town. Which I have to say, I love!

Posted on: 2010/1/10 12:28

From picture rocks pa 17762
kettle creek is a great place to expand your fly fishing expertise. hear a lot about stockies there. so. what is so wrong with catching fish. problem with kettle it is very low in summer. that is why the underground springs are a must to look for. i have seen 50 trout stacked at one of these spots. in an area of 3 ft. cubed. have fished it all. only problem now is getting my friends to fish other places rather than the leidy bridge and above. on the back road that becomes posted at the big farm. you will know when you get there, stay off grass. no parking. no fishing, do not turn around. etc. i can't remember much trash there. seems fishermen respect the lore there. always seem to take a grill, dogs, burgers, buns, mustard, kettchup, onions, and a big vat of bloody mary's on the other side of the creek. make a fire by stream and cook for 6 to 8. in my mind i am a hero there. the locals seem to accept me. seems like they expect me .

at times the header of the lake can be deadly. i mean fish all over. it is possible to catch and release 50 fish in a day at kettle creek.

in may i like the yellow adams, my version of march brown. and a green body fly.

put some deer hair wings on some. do not be afraid of the riffles. the trout are everywhere.

maxima

Posted on: 2010/1/10 19:36

From Harrisburg
When we had the Jam up there, there was an intense sulphur/drake fall crossed with a yellow caddis hatch.
Some dude KILLED them on a yellow bodied caddis, of which I had none.
All except one had a raggedy look to them with alot of mandables torn off. Maybe I'm a snob but, even though the fishing was good I also love the beauty of a trout and those beat up stockers werent worth the 3 hr drive even though the surrounding beauty was.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 19:46

From Central Jersey
Drinking and posting is my bet...

Posted on: 2010/1/10 20:48

From York, PA
Drinking and posting is my bet...

Yea, but it looks like he found the "Caps Lock" key!

Posted on: 2010/1/10 22:18

Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
When we had the Jam up there, there was an intense sulphur/drake fall crossed with a yellow caddis hatch.
Some dude KILLED them on a yellow bodied caddis, of which I had none.
All except one had a raggedy look to them with alot of mandables torn off. Maybe I'm a snob but, even though the fishing was good I also love the beauty of a trout and those beat up stockers werent worth the 3 hr drive even though the surrounding beauty was.

Were you fishing the special regs area? If you fish the headwaters of Kettle and the many, many miles of tributaries, you can find some pretty good wild trout fishing.

The middle and lower sections are mostly put-and-take. That's the same situation with most of the freestone drainages in the region. You have to get up into the headwaters and tribs to find the wild trout.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 23:18

From Pittsburgh
Maxima - I assume by "header" of the lake that you're talking about the upper end where the creek comes in. I've fished it many times - we used to refer to it as the channel. The fishing down there can be insane at times.

Talking about the old days up there again - I used to really enjoy going into the cross fork orvis shop, and BSing with Stoney. He always had a lot of great stories to tell.

And chowing down on a "bubba burger" at Deb's place, along with some cold drafts. Also a great place to watch the penguin playoff games

Posted on: 2010/1/11 0:17

From Johnstown, PA
troutbert..........if i was you i'd check out the folks at the store in Carter Camp , when i was going up there they had a huge display of old photographs and were very informed when it came to local history , specially logging , there were photos of Carter Camp where everything was bare , no trees , clear cut down to the mud with plank roads.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 5:39

From Johnstown, PA
TomG............two days in a row now i've watched your video to Max and i must admit both times I felt better , i could do that all day long right about now , what kind of fish is that , shad? THANX

Posted on: 2010/1/11 5:48

From Greensburg, PA
No Idea...max just seemed like he had those fishin' blues...happens every year about this time...

Posted on: 2010/1/11 7:22

From Johnstown, PA
Well yeah , he wants to get out there and he's stuck in the dang house , how many leaders in a row can you make before ya start to go over?

Posted on: 2010/1/11 17:14

Quote:

osprey wrote:
troutbert..........if i was you i'd check out the folks at the store in Carter Camp , when i was going up there they had a huge display of old photographs and were very informed when it came to local history , specially logging , there were photos of Carter Camp where everything was bare , no trees , clear cut down to the mud with plank roads.

Thanks Osprey,
I've been in there before but I didn't realize they were into the old history so much. I'll check that out.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 17:23

The guy who fed the deer was Slim Croyle. He had once owned the Folded Hills Lodge (still there?) about 4 1/2 miles north of Crossfork. He sold most of the property off and moved into a trailer a couple of hundred yards further up the road. My Great Aunt and Uncle, Jim and Jeanne Sumpter had a home in between these two properties & I spent a good part of my childhood mulling Slim Croyle. His way with all the deer was fascinating, but he was also a little scary. I still have recurring dreams of him chasing me...but that's another story. I haven't seen the place in nearly twenty years, and I live abroad now, but I understand it is unrecognizable but for the little pond in the meadow across the road. I believe the property, including my family's, was purchased by the family that owns/owned adelphia cable. I've got some pictures back at my parents' home in Pittsburgh. Will try to find them the next time I return.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 10:41

By the way, if any of the Kinneys are still around (Kim, Debbie) they would know where to find pictures and more information. And, Harry Kinney wrote a book on the glory days of Crossfork. On the logging railroads, etc., The hollow at 41°31'3.85"N 77°45'10.89"W was surely rich when I was a kid. I cut the end of my thumb off up there fooling around with some old railroad iron.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 10:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
152 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com