Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Just thought I would share this...

From Etters,Pa
Every time I see this it makes me sick and scares the hell out of me knowing its only 30 mins away from some of our most iconic trout streams here in Pennsylvania.

http://vimeo.com/39075187

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:11

Re: Just thought I would share this...

From Mont Co, Pa
That was interesting, I learned a lot. It's a real shame what that suff can do to a beautiful stream.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:01

From Ferguson Twp.
Damn... My head is spinning with the thought of that stuff hitting here, I just don't know what to say. Thanks Dan.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:34

From Bucks County
Thanks for posting this....

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:39

Thanks for posting that. Very disturbing to learn about that stuff.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:36

From Berks county
I'm speechless...

Posted on: 2013/3/27 20:25

thanks fwiw, I have used vibram soled wading boots with metal studs and cleats for years, and as long as you are very careful with them possibly skating on you on smooth bedrock, I think they work fine. I also always fish with at least one trekking pole, two if I am going to hike far.

safety is terribly important but from the didymo point of view, vibrams and a staff might make sense versus felts

Posted on: 2013/3/28 11:24

From Philadelphia, PA
The whole "I'll give you my felt boots when you pry them from my cold, dead hands" crew should be watching this.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 11:33

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Now using Simms Rivershed soles with studs, I can say, there's absolutely no question, felt gives superior traction.

That said, the better rubber soles are acceptable. Just have to be a little more careful at times. The cheaper rubber soles on the lower brands are downright dangerous.

I'm not gonna tear into people who still wear felt. Just be knowledgable about this and take precautions. Clean them correctly to avoid the spread of didymo. It's a hassle, but it's the price we all have to pay, and you have to pay extra close attention to it with felt.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 11:48

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Now using Simms Rivershed soles with studs, I can say, there's absolutely no question, felt gives superior traction.

That said, the better rubber soles are acceptable. Just have to be a little more careful at times. The cheaper rubber soles on the lower brands are downright dangerous.

Few people would argue that felt soles give better traction, but the risks that come along with their use are unacceptable. Just use more studs, you'll be fine.

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I'm not gonna tear into people who still wear felt. Just be knowledgable about this and take precautions. Clean them correctly to avoid the spread of didymo. It's a hassle, but it's the price we all have to pay, and you have to pay extra close attention to it with felt.

Well, I dare say you should be. I'm not saying that felt soles can't be used responsibility, I'm just saying I expect the vast majority of people who use them either ignore safety precautions or are taking inadequate precautions.

Research has shown it is incredibly difficult to kill didymo spores in felt soled boots. Unless you're heating your boots to 120 degrees for at least 20 minutes after use, you're not getting it done. Even multiple, successive soakings (soakings, not sprayings) in disinfectant solutions won't kill all the didymo in a felt sole. And drying? Forget about it. Felt soles stay wet for weeks or even months depending on the ventilation in the area where they are stored.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 12:48

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The good news, if there is any, is that didymo seems to prefer cold water relase streams. The Yough is the newest victim. Hopefully we never see it in streams like Penns, Spring, Little J, Letort, Big Spring, etc. I've seen that video before and it is pretty eye opening. Hopefully just gets the education out about how to reduce it spreading to other systems.

That said, we should all get into waterfowl hunting...

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:29

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From near Hershey, Pa
I went to the Vibram Soles with studs and found three advantages over felt.

1. Climbing up stream banks and hill sides is much safer not to mention when fishing below freezing your soles won't turn to ice on the walk out.

2. Hoping in and driving up or down stream without removing your waders is much less of a mess.

3. My wading shoes dry almost overnight which is the point but this also means I don't have to leave them sitting out in my garage for a week to dry.

So maybe some think that felt is far superior but I think that the Vibram soles have their positives as well as possibly preventing a catastrophe.

Shock

Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:34

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I disagree on #1 only. My Simms lug soles collect snow worse than my felts ever did. And I think they're harder to climb streambanks. Of course, where I fish most often, those banks are mostly solid, large rocks just like the stream bottom.

I don't deny that rubber is better on dirt and mud. Just that traction on dirt and mud was never as much of an issue as traction on rock.

#3, though, I wholeheartedly agree with, and that's why rubber is superior for preventing transmission of invasives like didymo. Gotta be a little careful not to get overconfident. Rubber merely improves the situation, not solves it. You still gotta pay attention and make sure ALL of your gear is bone dry or cleaned/treated properly. I could see an issue where felt wearers, because they're wearing felt, take proper precautions, and rubber wearers don't pay as close attention just because they're wearing rubber and think they're good to go. Everyone has to take proper precautions. Rubber merely makes it easier to do so.

FWIW, my cleaning routine when I was wearing felt was to have a plastic tub, filled with a bleach solution high enough to cover the felts, but not submerge most of the uppers. They sat in there overnight. In the morning I'd rinse the whole shoe in the solution, then rinse with water, and let sit to dry. I also had 2 pair, which would rotate, and allow each pair to dry longer. (2 pair were still cheaper than freakin Simms, lol).

For the rubber ones, I merely rinse and let dry. The one nice thing about the Simms is that even the uppers don't hold water. But unless they last me 10 years, just not worth that kind of money. They were freakin $200. I'd never went much north of $50 on wading boots before that. Lots of sticker shock.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 15:01

the studded vibrams are clearly much better than felts on the didymo issue... maybe the grip on rocks is not as good, I have used both, and I dont recall such a great difference. you have to watch the felts on smooth muddy stream banks, and the studded vibrams on smooth bedrock.

but with studded vibrams and a wading staff, you'd have both better stability and less didymo spread than with felts and no wading staff.

the trekking poles that stores like eastern mountain sports sell make great lightweight wading staffs... if you hike to fish, you can hike further and faster with a pair of them than just walking with nothing.

btw, a staff or trekking pole may be more important on a small stream than a big one... take a spill on a bigger stream, you may hit water, on a smaller stream, you may hit rocks.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 7:20

Edited by k-bob on 2013/3/29 7:45:47
Edited by k-bob on 2013/3/29 7:46:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com