Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Juggling two hobbies?

From Banshee
It's been about 4 years since the kids have left the nest so that left more time for fly fishing and golf. I enjoy both, but now,if I have a choice to golf or fly fish. I head to the stream. Plus when I'm golfing I always check out the ponds to see if I can see any activity and wished I would have brought along my fly rod.

Posted on: 3/7 15:18

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I monkey around with a guitar, mandolin and also keyboards when I have access to the latter. None of it is very serious.. And I read everything that comes within reach, whether it is a cereal box, an owners manual for a microwave, a novel or a website.

Then I spend quite a bit of time with my wife going here and there and doing this and that, from shopping to vacationing to just hanging out. She's pretty good about letting me work some fishing into most of our vacation to the point that usually, fishing is one of the factors that influences our choice of vacation destinations.

Besides that, I really have no other major hobbies/or time commitments except for fishing. I don't see how I could. I've only fished 5% or less of the places I want to get to in this lifetime. I'm way, way, way behind and need to buckle down and fish more.

So, I guess I'm pretty one dimensional. That's OK, I'm doing what I love.

Posted on: 3/7 16:35

From NW PA
It's mainly trapping and fishing for me.

Posted on: 3/7 16:36

From Prospect, VA
Fly fishing - trout, smallmouth, bream - wading and kayaking.
Grouse and woodcock hunting.
Training bird dogs and retrievers.
Duck, goose and swan hunting.
Tying flies.
Fall and spring turkey hunting.
Deer hunting - bow, blackpowder and rifle.
Catfishing.
Gardening.
Photography.
Listening to and collecting 60's & 70's vinyl music & memoriabelia.
Entomology. (Got hatch charts back to 1976 for home stream in VA).
Raising pigeons for dog training.

Not married, no children, hardly any debt, own my own home, great job w/great time off and pay (300 hrs. vacation annually) - can come and go as I wish...

Life IS good!

Posted on: 3/7 17:04

From Mont Co, Pa
I chase wild trout from April until Sept, them I'm bowhunting whitetails through Jan. The single life isn't so bad.

Posted on: 3/7 17:35

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

smeador wrote:
Fly fishing - trout, smallmouth, bream - wading and kayaking.
Grouse and woodcock hunting.
Training bird dogs and retrievers.
Duck, goose and swan hunting.
Tying flies.
Fall and spring turkey hunting.
Deer hunting - bow, blackpowder and rifle.
Catfishing.
Gardening.
Photography.
Listening to and collecting 60's & 70's vinyl music & memoriabelia.
Entomology. (Got hatch charts back to 1976 for home stream in VA).
Raising pigeons for dog training.

Not married, no children, hardly any debt, own my own home, great job w/great time off and pay (300 hrs. vacation annually) - can come and go as I wish...

Life IS good!

I think I hate you...

Posted on: 3/7 17:42

1. Fly fishing
2. Turkey hunting
3. Playing basketball (as well as a 64-yr-old can)
4. Reading & a little writing

I don't have to juggle hobbies; FF is #1 hobby -- more like an addiction.

But, all in all, my wife is #1, and my granddaughter is right up there, too.

Posted on: 3/7 17:55

From SE Pa
Fly fishing, fishing, saltwater fishing, golf, woodworking, green woodworking, lawn care, home improvement, fly tying, jig pouring, golf club building, leader furling, shooting, reloading. When the kids leave the nest there is plenty of time in a day to do whatever the heck you want. Once I shed my job in the next couple years I think ill pick up another dozen hobbies.

Posted on: 3/7 20:02

From Newville, PA
Like many. I have more hobbies than I have free time. The key is keeping it fun and mixing it up. I am a diehard bow hunter who routinely hunted 20 plus days each fall. However, like BrookieChaser, I found that my relentless pursuit for Mr. Big caused me to forgot about all the things I used to enjoy during autumn (waterfowl/upland/squirrel/turkey hunting, fly fishing, etc. etc.). I found I missed spending time with my non-archery hunting buddies and decided to step back and renew those friendships. Well worth it even even if Mr. Big eludes me for another year

Posted on: 3/7 20:16

From Long Island
I have many hobbies. Trying to juggle surfing, snowboarding, drinking , and fly fishing, and the girlfriend, is a REAL struggle. When the waves are good, i go surfing. When theres a good amount of powder coming, i go to the mountain. When its not raining in the winter time and im not in class, ill be fishing. When its dark out and theres nothing to do, then theres the girlfriend (kidding). When she wants to hangout, all other things are out except snowboarding because she ski's. Its not easy, but i play it by year. In the spring and summer its just the girl, waves and trout. Life is good!- Kev

Posted on: 3/7 20:31

From Long Island
Another thing, if your wife or significant other isn't okay with you fishing a lot, then you might need to find a new one. ;) -Kev

Posted on: 3/7 20:33

From Prospect, VA
Quote:

fisherboy3 wrote:
Another thing, if your wife or significant other isn't okay with you fishing a lot, then you might need to find a new one. ;) -Kev

I had one once - she didn't like retriever hunt tests, getting up early, mornings on the streams - so I got rid of her!!!!

Now, I have a lady that loves to fish (learning to cast a 4 wgt.), chases woodcock and grouse with me, loves cold beer, wants a Lab puppy - and just got her first pair of chest waders for Valentine's Day. Can it get any better????

Posted on: 3/7 22:41

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Fishing has slowly killed my golf game, which at one point was pretty good. The problem basically solved itself.

Ditto what Swattie said...I played golf 2 or 3 times a week, was down under a 12 index, then hurt my shoulder. A few months off, and started fly fishing...now I'm lucky if I play golf 2 or 3 times a year. But I'm ok with that.

Posted on: 3/7 22:54

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
The only time I struggle is in the fall when archery hunting and trout fishing heat up. Tough decision as to where to dedicate my time. I love venison so archery takes precedence but I think about the stream when I'm patiently sitting in my stand. Once atleast 2 deer are in the freezer, it's back to the stream.

Posted on: 3/7 23:22

From SW PA
I archery hunt as well. At pursue other game as well, but honestly, it's the chores that get in the way... Taking care of my place, my mom's home, another place. Sometimes helping out a family member. The more tools you know how to use, the less free time you have!

Still, I manage. Being single is a big help I've noticed! So I'm going fishing today! And all the other stuff will get done eventually. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

Posted on: 3/8 7:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com