Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Italian Brown Trout

not necessarily stoned...

Posted on: 2013/4/10 23:31

From S.central pa
Hope this isn't hijacking, but what do you think of this one. Just saw this last nite. IMO it has most characteristics of a brown but its hard to deny that the spots on the side are clearly like a brookie.

Attach file:

jpg  brown2.jpg (73.14 KB)
7537_516699f8568ad.jpg 720X486 px

Posted on: 2013/4/11 7:11

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/4/11 8:19:51

From LV
Quote:
Hope this isn't hijacking, but what do you think of this one. Just saw this last nite. IMO it has most characteristics of a brown but its hard to deny that the spots on the side are clearly like a brookie.

They're just typical brown trout spots.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 7:25

From S.central pa
Boy this is gonna get off on the wrong foot. lol the spots have outer blue halo's , then white, and red centers. Brownies are "generally" more sienna with only white halo's.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 8:07

From Johnstown, PA
my father caught a few like that out of a little spring creek we used to fish now n then and they was by God Merican feesh. and much smaller.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 8:21

From Gettysburg
Stillwaters,
The brown in your pic is a beauty but nothing unusual.

It's not uncommon, if you closely at wild brown trout, to see
multi-colored halos around spots. These are often light blue, like a brookie, and are particularly common around the red spots that are mid flank.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 8:25

From Gettysburg
Never having fished in Italy, I certainly can't speak from experience. Very broadly speaking, however, if you look at pics of European trout, esp those in the Mediterranean or south Asian areas, they do tend to look strange to our American eyes. I have seen some articles depicting Italian trout and they do seem to have especially bright red spots, and more and bigger ones, than we're used to seeing.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 8:28

From LV
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Stillwaters,
The brown in your pic is a beauty but nothing unusual.

It's not uncommon, if you closely at wild brown trout, to see
multi-colored halos around spots. These are often light blue, like a brookie, and are particularly common around the red spots that are mid flank.

+1
I've found no reference in any books I have about the OP's trout. It's probably a hatchery freak enhanced with photo shop.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 8:29

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Never having fished in Italy, I certainly can't speak from experience. Very broadly speaking, however, if you look at pics of European trout, esp those in the Mediterranean or south Asian areas, they do tend to look strange to our American eyes. I have seen some articles depicting Italian trout and they do seem to have especially bright red spots, and more and bigger ones, than we're used to seeing.

Agreed. I found some photos online of Italian brown trout that also had very large red spots. The spots were not as screaming red as in the photo shown on this thread, which I think just had the color saturation pumped up more, so that red looks more scarlet than would be actual case on the fish. But those very large red spots on Italian trout apparently are for real.

You'll see quite a lot of variation in brown here in the US, but apparently there is even more in the "old country." Probably many of the varieties never got imported here. I'd love to catch some of those Italian brown trout.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 9:01

From Chester County
Olive oil, onions, garlic and oregano...

Posted on: 2013/4/11 9:03

From Doylestown
The Orvis article I linked to mentioned the the video
"A Pesca con la Neve" so I googled it came up with this video:

A Pesca con la Neve

It's only 51 seconds long. At 35 seconds there's the trout with the screeming red spots.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 9:19

Here is an interesting site on the strains of brown trout. Pictures arent't the best, but you get an idea:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/bb-old/prodohl/TroutConcert/TroutConcert.htm

The Mediterranean drainages all the way around to North Africa were not glaciated and have a wide diversity of brown trout. Northern Europe was relatively recently recolonized after the glaciersl retreated and have fewer strains. However, that is where we get our browns (mostly Germany and Scotland).

Two very cool brown trout groups are the Adriatic trout which have big red spots and the Marble trout of Slovenia. In Europe there is concern that many native strains of brown trout have been destroyed by indiscriminant stocking - sound familiar?

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:26

From Washington county
Sweet video RCFetter

My guess is they have the spots on the backside fin like that so predators to and hit that instead of going for there head. Some other fish have similar characteristics to avoid predators

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:43

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Olive oil, onions, garlic and oregano...

fresh tomatoes, a mildly sweet white, smoked salt.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 10:47

From S.E. PA
la trouta

Posted on: 2013/4/11 11:09

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com