Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: It's snake time!

From Johnstown, PA
In south western/western central pa .....Fulton Bedford Somerset etc. i've encountered more rattlers in the last 10 years than the whole rest of my life and i will testify that an encounter does keep you on your toes and more alert to the possible encounter. The yellow phase timber rattler are beautiful animals and are not as common in the areas that i fish regularly they are there though.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 6:28

Recently encountered a snake that first played dead and then coiled and shook its tail when I got closer to move it off a road... It was a black snake, but its actions reminded me of a rattler that i once ran into and behaved the same way. I definitely dont assume a timber in some cover will rattle or move if you happen to get near one.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 8:34

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

k-bob wrote:
I definitely dont assume a timber in some cover will rattle or move if you happen to get near one.

Exactly Bob. The one I saw last Sat was just laying there coiled up, sleeping I believe, because when I walked up on him in the high grasss and weeds he didn't even turn to look at me. It wasn't until I touched him with the tip of my rod (let's not go there again lol) that he even resembled being alive. He then started to rattle. I took pics of him and left him alone.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 8:46

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
At least it could be a "first strike" item instead of your leg...

I think that snakes in general, and especially pit vipers, are unlikely to strike non-living objects, unless severely provoked.

Heat sensors. Poor eyesight.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 11:52

From Mount Joy, PA
Perhaps not a "first strike" item, but instead a self-defense tool... Agreed that the pit vipers really are keyed into heat signatures and generally wouldn't strike at a human as a food source, but instead a defense mechanism.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 16:48

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Perhaps not a "first strike" item, but instead a self-defense tool... Agreed that the pit vipers really are keyed into heat signatures and generally wouldn't strike at a human as a food source, but instead a defense mechanism.

Agree. If you pose what they feel is a threat, you're getting bitten.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 20:10

From Southeastern Pa

Posted on: 2013/6/11 23:59

Edited by TimRobinsin on 2013/6/12 0:14:21

From Ohio
I am very conscious of where I step or place my hands. In addition to the normal precautions, I use a staff to move brush out of the way to see where I step, as suggested above. I also use the staff like a cane used by a blind person; I bang the staff into bushes, rocks, logs that lay in my path where a snake may be hiding. I do this in an effort to startle any snake and scare them off or provoke their warning to alert me before I step too close.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 7:30

I like snakes and don't want to hurt one ... but I don't want one to hurt me either

the article below will give you reason to be careful... in tracking PA timber rattlers with telemetry, sort of rattler lo jack :), "The beeps get louder as he approaches the snake, and finally he announces, "We're within about three feet now." ... That's the easy part. The hard part is spotting the snakes..."

http://articles.philly.com/1989-07-14 ... ke-howard-reinert-antenna

have never regretted buying and using ankle to knee turtleskin snake gaitors over my waders!

Posted on: 2013/6/12 8:02

From Southeastern Pa
that was a great read. I still hate snakes. Now I hate them but I pity them a little.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:46

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
are keyed into heat signatures and generally wouldn't strike at a human as a food source, but instead a defense mechanism.

I didn't mean to imply they would strike a human as a food source. I meant to imply that you can poke at em with a stick, and they probably won't bite the stick. And if they do try, they'll probably do an awful lot of missing.

But poke at em with your leg, and they probably will bite that, and not miss.

Still, a stick is useful just to get some sort of response, any movement at all is enough to alert you to their presence, which is all that is required.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 13:46

From Philadelphia PA
If ya leave them alone - normally they will leave you alone. However a drunken flyfisherperson (Usually Male) is more apt to get bit than a sober one especially when buds are around. Maybe it's cause they pick a real small stick.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 15:47
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Mont Co, Pa
Folks need to realize that a rattler doesn't vacate his location very quickly at all. Using a staff, stick/branch, or whatever to "clear" your route of travel is a good preemtive strategy, but that just helps you locate the snake before you step on him. That won't make him leave that spot. I've watched all three rattlers that I've seen for a couple minutes after encountering them to see what they do after their encounter with a human. All three stayed in pretty much the same spot until I decided to move on. And that was I got them to rattle.

One of the rattlers I saw on my way upstream in the early afternoon, I saw again only about 50' from where I saw him the first time, about 2 or 3 hours later! I even marked the spot with surveyers tape when I first saw him so I would know where NOT to walk on my way back down. lol

Posted on: 2013/6/12 18:30

From Monessen, PA
If you suspect vipers in the area, I recommend making sure each step or reach is safe. 12-15 inches of field of view should be sufficient. And proceed carefully so that your actions aren't "startling." The snake does not want to strike you in the least.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 18:42

From LV
Keep in mind that a rattler can bite through waders, I know a guy that was bitten through neoprenes.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 21:06

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com