It's Feeding Time

P

PennypackFlyer

My brother-in -law said, " find out when it's feeding time, and you'll get some trout". I was not sure of what he meant as I headed off to Bennet Springs Park, MO that monday morning. The park was about 20 miles from my parents home in Buffalo, MO. When I got there, I asked some fellow flyers how things were and got some friendly advice. It seams you need a permit from the office to fish the river there, cost $3.00. Bennet Springs is also a fishery and trout season just opened Friday, March 1. My daughter and I took a walk over to the fishery and I asked a few questions from the employees. I also asked if I could fish from the concrete bank...We all had a good laugh. The small pools have 60,000 and the large pools have 200,000 trout.
Back to the fishing: The creek I believe is a limestone creek and the water was clear beautiful blue. You could see the trout swimming around and there were plenty of fisherpersons wading. I took a spot right in front of an island and began laying down my line. Behind me was the water runoff from the hatchery. Since I always have success with the Bead head prince I tied one on size 12. It was not long before I felt the jerk of the line, and had my first trout on. It came off as quickly as it hit. I had a couple more hits just like that and lost a few more trout. I change my stratagy a little and put on and indicator. Sure enough the indicator went down and I hooked up again. This one didn't get away, and I had my first trout of the season. A nice beautiful rainbow around 15" or so. All in all I caught 9 trout that day and kept 3. My parents are in there late 70s and would enjoy some fresh cooked stockies.
During my fishing time, I happened to notice that the trout were congregating around an area behind me. And alot of fisherman were congregating around the same. I was not impressed with the slaughter that took place and yet I was compelled to briefly fish the same way the locals were. After about 10 casts, I moved on to a more quiet location. I always said I'm there for the fight and I enjoy that much more than the catch. When you have trout waiting for food to come flowing out of the fishery they are an easy target. I ended up with 15 trout for the three days I fished. And that was good enough to feed my fix.

Back