Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

It's Feeding Time

From Philadelphia PA
My brother-in -law said, " find out when it's feeding time, and you'll get some trout". I was not sure of what he meant as I headed off to Bennet Springs Park, MO that monday morning. The park was about 20 miles from my parents home in Buffalo, MO. When I got there, I asked some fellow flyers how things were and got some friendly advice. It seams you need a permit from the office to fish the river there, cost $3.00. Bennet Springs is also a fishery and trout season just opened Friday, March 1. My daughter and I took a walk over to the fishery and I asked a few questions from the employees. I also asked if I could fish from the concrete bank...We all had a good laugh. The small pools have 60,000 and the large pools have 200,000 trout.
Back to the fishing: The creek I believe is a limestone creek and the water was clear beautiful blue. You could see the trout swimming around and there were plenty of fisherpersons wading. I took a spot right in front of an island and began laying down my line. Behind me was the water runoff from the hatchery. Since I always have success with the Bead head prince I tied one on size 12. It was not long before I felt the jerk of the line, and had my first trout on. It came off as quickly as it hit. I had a couple more hits just like that and lost a few more trout. I change my stratagy a little and put on and indicator. Sure enough the indicator went down and I hooked up again. This one didn't get away, and I had my first trout of the season. A nice beautiful rainbow around 15" or so. All in all I caught 9 trout that day and kept 3. My parents are in there late 70s and would enjoy some fresh cooked stockies.
During my fishing time, I happened to notice that the trout were congregating around an area behind me. And alot of fisherman were congregating around the same. I was not impressed with the slaughter that took place and yet I was compelled to briefly fish the same way the locals were. After about 10 casts, I moved on to a more quiet location. I always said I'm there for the fight and I enjoy that much more than the catch. When you have trout waiting for food to come flowing out of the fishery they are an easy target. I ended up with 15 trout for the three days I fished. And that was good enough to feed my fix.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 10:10
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com