Is anyone else seeing Brookies Spawning

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Got out Saturday with Volksnurse to a Pocono stream for some fall brookie fishing. First pool we saw what looked like a redd but no fish on it. Saw several other spots that might have been redds again no fish on them. Started to see more spots but not in what you would think would be good redd spots so I started to discount them as just "current" cleaned spots. We got a few fish but certainly not what this stream is capable of. Then I got a PM from another guy who told me he was also in the Poconos and not only saw reddds but paired up fish on them.

Seems a little early yet but with low water and cold nights, I guess it could be time.

Anyone esle seeing spawning? I guess the browns can't be far behind.

In Laurel Highlands they are moving into the faster water and grouping/pairing up............getting closer at the least.

On 10/24/13 I saw a few redds on Spring Creek (brown trout) and fish paired up in the shallows. It looked like the brown trout spawn had just recently started around that time.

I have a buddy that took some spectacular photos last week down in the SE part of PA.

Last time I was at camp, two weeks ago, we didn't see any spawning brookies, in fact we didn't see any brookies except ones we caught. We did see a bunch of fish at a tail out swimming around and causing a disturbance on the surface, presumably in pre spawn activities.
This past weekend in the Loyalsock drainage I didn't see any fish on beds, but I wasn't where I'd expect to see them. As for the Poconos, they should be in spawning activity and it should be in full swing. If it was over, you be catching fish.
Redds without fis on them means those pairs have spawned or the site was unsuitible.
We need rain to clear the streams of leaves.

A little over 2 weeks ago in NCPA, nothing. No spawning. Yesterday in Lancaster the fishing was uber-slow, but still no redds or paired up fish. However, the colors on the fish are spectacular and I think it'll be any day now.

A buddy and I fished a native stream with brookies and browns in it yesterday evening in central PA. We found some redds with fish on them but also some without fish. Some holes that we thought for sure we would spot fish we did not but picked up a few in gentle flow water. Also, in the lower section of the stream, we found a bull brookie following and teasing to femails. It was weird, but it seemed like different sections of the stream were further along than others.

Two weeks ago while grouse hunting, I spent most of the day watching brookies on their redds. So yes they are spawning. Anyone seeing grouse?? I'm not.

Haven't seen any actively spawning yet. Although two weeks ago on a steep SC stream I did see two very brightly colored 7"ish males engaging in a rather active disagreement as to who was the owner of the hole they were occupying. I'd have to assume this was prespawn behavior as the hole was plenty big enough to support them both otherwise. I watched for a few minutes until they settled down and took up two different feeding positions and then drifted a Royal Wulff through and settled the disagreement for them. I caught the slightly smaller of the two and released him in the next hole downstream.

I've been staying away from the stream for the past two weeks or so as to not interrupt their spawning. I was thinking they'd be done by now. I guess I'm wrong.

Nope

I was up in pocono Saturday and saw brook trout spawning.

Saw a lot of fish paired up today on a state college area stream, but they were just kind of hanging out. Caught a few that appeared to be spawned out already, and some that didn't seem ready yet darting out from under rocks after flies with no partner in sight.

Browns in a Spring Creek tributary were not spawning with the exception of two pairs. May not have been fishing good spawning habitat though.

Swattie, that's a funny story. I witnessed a turf war on a small stream back home this past May- didn't catch either one but they were really going at it!

Saw some interesting pics my buddy took at the mouth of Trout run on Lake Erie. There are several steelhead on a redd right above the wake line , where it turns into a creek/run and in the illegal zone. The steelhead come and go but there is a big one or two turning sideways and kicking gravel and right behind them about three feet is a huge brown and he stays put the whole time , just turning his head once in awhile to eat something. He takes great pictures , he is up there right now as a matter of fact. He checks this website all the time but refuses to join the forum , i told him he could be a millionaire with his video but he is content just to read and check the stream reports and he buys some equipment from Allen , mostly hooks lately ............C'mon Higgins , get in the game!!!!!!

Saw minimal spawning activity yesterday on Yellow Creek (Bedford County). Witnessed a few of the Beaver bows paired up but not actively engaged and saw little to no evidence of brown trout spawning.

Swattie87 wrote:
Although two weeks ago on a steep SC stream I did see two very brightly colored 7"ish males engaging in a rather active disagreement as to who was the owner of the hole they were occupying. I'd have to assume this was prespawn behavior as the hole was plenty big enough to support them both otherwise.
That may not have been 2 males sparring, it may have been a male and female doing the dance just before actual spawning. Or it could have been a male chasing another male away from a redd that was full of eggs, males sometimes do that, defend a redd after spawning.

Tough to say for sure Chaz. They both appeared to be obvious males...brilliant orange/red bellies and fins. They both took up feeding positions after the spat was over. I stung and missed the slightly larger of the two before casting to and landing the smaller one further up in the pool.

Swattie87 wrote:
Although two weeks ago on a steep SC stream I did see two very brightly colored 7"ish males engaging in a rather active disagreement as to who was the owner of the hole they were occupying. I'd have to assume this was prespawn behavior as the hole was plenty big enough to support them both otherwise.

Mr. Spock would not approve of your violation of the prime directive :)

Saw a nice pair of brook trout on a decent size redd in a Lancaster County stream this afternoon.

Saw 4 pairs on two northern Lanc. Co streams today. 3 pairs were Brookies, and one was Browns...kinda early for Browns that far south I thought, but maybe they saw the Brookies and got in the mood. I also caught a large female Brookie that looked spawned out (and hungry) already.

Spawned out female? She was just shy of 11" but very thin.

Attachments

• 11-01-13 (3) PAFF.jpg
    11-01-13 (3) PAFF.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3
Back