Intro and question

I

IrishEyes

Hello all. I just registered as a member. I am 10 years into my retirement and have moved from NY to North Carolina.....cheap and warm. We relocated about 6 years ago.

We purchased a trailer near Gouldsboro, in the Poconos, about 3 years ago. My two hobbies, or passions , are bird dogs and trout fishing. Since spending summers in Pa, we arrive in June and leave in Sept., I have been driving all around visiting many streams. I have not gotten around to learning any of them well.

This year I intend to concentrate my efforts on a single stream. I train my setter in SGL 127. It is the nearest to our trailer. The Lehigh runs through there and I think I will concentrate on the Lehigh from were it enters SGL 127 down to Thornhurst. It is about the size stream that I like, not too big and not too small. All I have caught there has been chubs but I have seen fish in the river.

My question is is it a good basket to be putting all my eggs into. Does it hold trout through the summer months. I might be better to go to the Lehigh dwnstream from the Walter Dam if I want to have better fishing in August. I liked the section through SGL 127 because I could work the dog , then grab an hour or so of fishing.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I have yet to fish that area, but some of the old timers in Western Pocono TU love the upper Lehigh. Not trying to sell you on coming to a meeting, but it would probably be a good bet to get some info.

Btw, welcome and I have a Britt. Used to love taking the dog out to work, but since my children have been bored it has been tough.

Wading in the Lehigh River below the dam is hazardous for me. The bottom is round rocks ranging from fist size boulder size. And there are scary deep holes. Be careful.

You also have to contend with rafters.

Hey Irish, welcome to the board. I had never heard of New Bern but it looks like a heck of a nice place to winter. How do you like it? Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Rolf

Welcome to the board Irish. I fish the area fairly often and can tell you that the area near where your trailer is has plenty of good trout streams. You're above the FEW Dam on the Lehigh, so that's always a possibility.
Any of the tributaries of the Lehigh up there have wild trout, the Lehigh is stocked but also has some wild fish. Tobyhanna is decent for a stocked stream. Remember ifnot fishing on public land much of the land is posted, always ask permission.

Hey, I know you....

I'll PM you some info I have about the Upper Lehigh. I've never fished it personally, but know of some who have, and they seem to enjoy it...

Welcome aboard Irish. GG

next place we are looking into is hickory nc. virginia didn't care for it..

Welcome. I can't help with the Lehigh, but your post made me remember some great fly fishing days I have had around New Bern. I had a blast renting a canoe and fishing for sunfish, white perch and bass on Brice's Creek. That was nearly 30 years ago so things may have changed.

Back