Interesting Study

Mountainbrookie

Mountainbrookie

Here's an interesting study for your consideration. :lol:

A Washington and Lee University biology professor is exploring the impact that placing large stocked trout in reservoirs around Virginia may be having on the genetic identity of the Commonwealth's native brook trout.

The stocked trout are the result of the Department of Inland Game and Fisheries' Fingerling Stocking Program, which for the last 20 years has placed very small hatchery-raised brook trout in reservoirs around Virginia. There, the fish have grown to large sizes due to the ideal environment.

Although the large stocked trout may be a boon for avid anglers in Virginia, the department asked Robert Humston, assistant professor of biology at W&L, to answer three questions about the program's effect. Are the hatchery-bred trout leaving their reservoirs and taking residence upstream? If so, are they able to spawn naturally upstream? Finally, are they interbreeding with and thus negatively affecting the genetics of the native brook trout upstream?

According to Humston, native brook trout are a sensitive species. Increased stream temperatures due to residential development and agriculture have caused the native trout populations to fragment and retreat into small headwater streams in the mountains. These isolated fish populations don't mix with each other, which reduces variations in genes. "We want as much as possible to encourage the diversity that allows populations to evolve," said Humston. "On the flip side, some native brook trout will have adapted to their local environment, perhaps developing different spawning times or becoming smaller to adapt to a faster flowing stream, and we want to preserve those adaptations."

Using genetic analysis to differentiate hatchery and native strains, a relatively new focus for brook trout, Humston concentrated on three remote reservoirs stocked by hatchery trout and fed by mountain streams. The first, Lexington reservoir fed by Moore Creek, has never held native brook trout. The other two reservoirs near the Big Levels wilderness area, Coles Run and Mills Creek, both have mountain streams that hold native populations.

Starting in 2009, Humston and student researchers from Washington and Lee caught 200 trout from the streams feeding into the reservoirs. They measured them and collected tissue samples by snipping a piece of the pelvic fin from each fish. "By summer 2010 the work was all in the laboratory," said Humston. "Brent Meekins, a senior biology major at W&L, learned how to use really advanced data analysis methods and software packages. This was my first time doing any genetic work, and I want to add that none of this would have happened without the help of Kelly Hemminger, our molecular technician, and Professor Paul Cabe."

The research found hatchery fish in all three of the tributaries of the reservoirs, which meant the fish were definitely leaving the reservoirs. "What's interesting is that we found hatchery fish much farther up the streams than we expected," said Humston. "We're not sure why they went that far, but it shows what they are capable of."

They also found fish in the streams that were smaller than the hatchery fish yet matched their genetic signature, which meant that the hatchery fish were spawning in the streams. "Even in tributaries where they have to compete with native fish for spawning habitats, they are still naturally reproducing," said Humston.

But Humston found hardly any evidence of interbreeding between the native trout and the hatchery trout. "You would expect that after 20 years there would be more natural interbreeding, so that was interesting," he said.

Humston attributed the lack of interbreeding to two possible scenarios. "It could be some sort of exclusionary process whereby native fish are only breeding with native fish. Or the hatchery fish could just be poor competitors for spawning sites, since requirements for good spawning habitats are fairly rigorous," he said.

Humston said that in some ways the results of his research showed the best case scenario. "Introducing this separate population of hatchery trout with a different genetic signature is adding more variation. That diversity increases the likelihood that a population can adapt to changes," he said. "At the same time, the hatchery trout haven't impacted the native species yet. And if we haven't diluted any local adaptation by the native trout they may be better able to persist in the long term."

The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has researched native brook trout populations for a number of years-characterizing how many populations are still intact, how large those populations are compared to their historical size and what remaining habitats could be improved to the point where the trout could return. Humston's research adds further progress toward the department's ultimate goal of restoring native brook trout throughout their historic range in Virginia.

Nate Adkins, who graduated with a biology major from W&L last May and worked on the trout research, will present the study's findings at the national meeting of the American Fisheries Society on Sept. 12 in Pittsburgh, Pa. The paper has also been selected for the Wild Trout Symposium at the end of September. "This is a huge symposium held every three years and we are very excited about this," said Humston.

Humston's research was funded by the Hess Scholars Program, founded by W&L alumni Andrew and Megan Hess, to help professors at W&L conduct research with students.

http://www.wlu.edu/x50357.xml

It would be interesting to see some studies like this done in PA.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. So, in this study, hatchery trout in lakes swam way up the tributaries, spawned, and made offspring. These tributaries also hold wild fish. But there has been little or no interbreeding between the two "strains" in 20 years.

It's about what I'd expect, I guess. A good question would be whether the hatchery population is "sustainable". i.e., if they stopped stocking, would the hatchery strain maintain a stable population? Or is it dependent on continued stocking, and would die off if the stocking was ended?

If they could maintain, you'd think EVENTUALLY they'd interbreed.

It contradicts ongoing research by USGS that says they can determine the origins of the brook trout and whether or not the are natives, natives that are a heritage strain, natives mixed with stocked fish, stocked fish. The USGS study even can determine the stream of origin. USGS determined there was mixed genes in many populations of brook trout, but that there are many streams with heritage strains.

That they found very little interbreeding in this study did surprise me. I wish they had went into a little more detail, especially on the trib that never held a wild population before the stockings.

My brother was a biology major at W&L in the 80's, then got a masters in ichthyology at Penn State. I don't remember him doing any cool studies like this!

I know this gentleman. Robert is actually Ro-bear. He was our controller at HNFI. Real nice guy. He started a fly fishing team at the college.

I will email him and see if I can get him to chime in!

Chaz wrote:
It contradicts ongoing research by USGS that says they can determine the origins of the brook trout and whether or not the are natives, natives that are a heritage strain, natives mixed with stocked fish, stocked fish. The USGS study even can determine the stream of origin. USGS determined there was mixed genes in many populations of brook trout, but that there are many streams with heritage strains.

I disagree that it contradicts any of that.

Clearly in the study above it shows that they can tell the difference, same as USGS. They just were not seeing interbreeding which does not contradict the USGS at all. It just does not support it. There is a difference in this case. IMO of course.

Chaz, I agree with Dave.

Heritage strain - true natives, never mixed. How many "strains" there are depends on how narrowly you define the term "strain". But a geneticist with enough background data could test a fish of unknown origins and likely tell you exactly what stream it came from.

Mixed strain - interbred. Could be multiple heritage strains interbreeding, due to man moving them around. It could be interbreeding with stockies. If so, that interbreeding could have happened in the 1920's for all we know, when the stocked strain was VERY different than today's. It does not mean they are interbreeding TODAY. This study shows that the modern Virginia strain of stockies are breeding amongst themselves, but not interbreeding with the wilds in these few particular streams. That's all it shows. It's perfectly feasible for both studies to be correct.

pcray1231 wrote:
Chaz, I agree with Dave.

That should have made your week right there ;-)

PatrickC wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
Chaz, I agree with Dave.

That should have made your week right there ;-)

It did. I mean I could come back and disagree with one minor point by Pat, but I don't think I will.;-)

I read another study last week that had similar findings - the native brookies in a stream were genetically pure and the stocked brookies hadnt interbreeded.

It was in the EBTC/ SRBTJV thread I posted.

The study concluded that hatchery brookies were no threat to SRBT's - apart from competing for food, habitat etc.

But Humston found hardly any evidence of interbreeding between the native trout and the hatchery trout. "You would expect that after 20 years there would be more natural interbreeding, so that was interesting," he said.

Hatchery trout are ugly. If I was a wild trout, I wouldn't have sex with them either...

Is it possible that there is no interbreeding due to different reproductive cycles? This would make the most sense to me. Even if they were just off by a few weeks would make all the difference. I'm not sure what triggers the spawn but maybe it is much less environmental than some think.

Also, this brings up another question..... How does this change your view of tigers. If this study is true than wouldn't that also be the case with natives breeding with browns. Or maybe true natives do not breed with browns but only brook trout that were stocked generations ago.

csoult wrote:
Is it possible that there is no interbreeding due to different reproductive cycles? This would make the most sense to me. Even if they were just off by a few weeks would make all the difference. I'm not sure what triggers the spawn but maybe it is much less environmental than some think.

Also, this brings up another question..... How does this change your view of tigers. If this study is true than wouldn't that also be the case with natives breeding with browns. Or maybe true natives do not breed with browns but only brook trout that were stocked generations ago.

Great point!.....never occurred to me.

Kinda kills the "Stocking- Over- Native argument, huh?
The only thing left is amount of forage in a stream.

I didn't know that people thought it was environmental. Yeah, genetics certainly have an awful lot to do with the spawn timing. And in hatcheries they have intentionally altered this timing via selective breeding. I don't think there's any question it plays a large part in why they aren't finding crosses. Heck, with rainbows it's not even a few weeks different. Spring vs. fall!

On another point, it's also possible that they do in fact interbreed, but that the little guys don't do so well, hence the studies not finding any little guys. My gut says this isn't the case, but to be clear, there is NOTHING in these studies that would contradict this viewpoint.

And regarding tigers, do recognize that tigers are very rare. In similar sampling as these studies, it's highly likely that the researchers wouldn't have turned up ANY tigers. I don't think this completely rules out the odd case of stockies and wilds interbreeding. It just says that it's not common. Wild tigers aren't common either.

Not at all. That argument was never about interbreeding, at least to me. It was about competition for resources, and attracting fishing pressure of the type who are likely to harvest.

pcray1231 wrote:

I don't think this completely rules out the odd case of stockies and wilds interbreeding. It just says that it's not common.

It only shows that it was not common in this particular situation, i.e these particular waters, with these particular strains of hatchery and wild trout, and over the particular time period studied. If their methodology was correct.

That's all that it shows.

Yeah, but it gives us something to discuss.

troutbert,

Agreed. It's not the first study of this nature, and the others I have read paint the same picture. That doesn't mean there aren't exceptions out there, as in certain streams, strains, etc. where interbreeding may be more common. I'm sure there are. But while falling well short of "proof", this looks to be the rule rather than the exception.

Fish populations are weird. It depends how narrowly you define the term "strain" or "subspecies", but it appears that there are A LOT of differentiat genetics within any one species. They started cataloging them in the west with cutties, you have the greenbacks, west slope, snake river, etc. In reality, these too are probably broad categories, and there are lots of subsets within. Bows, brookies, and browns probably have the same thing going on, though to a lesser degree with browns in North America because only 2 varieties were originally imported from Europe. But when it comes down to it, with say, brookies, you could probably find identifyable genetic differences in every little stream, even ones that are close together and tributaries of the same waterway.

I guess such a plethora of "strains" should be expected in animals with highly isolated populations.

I would still like to know how "sustainable" the hatchery strain is. So in the streams which had wilds, the hatchery fish DID reproduce, and you ended up with two distinct, isolated strains. Wild and hatchery. It seems to be logical that, if stocking were ended, one of the two strains would die out. I would predict that it's the hatchery strain which would die out, but that's merely a hypothesis. And that too could be highly dependent on the specific waters in question, specific strains in question, etc.

Fun to discuss and think about, that's for sure. But as with anything, answers will come slowly over time, and they'll answer some questions and create new questions in the process.

KeithS wrote:

If you wanted to go fishing for wild brook trout from about now through September, which would you choose:

Streams with wild brook that are: 1) stocked over? 2) not stocked over?

If you read the posts on here by the brook trout fishermen, you see that they nearly always try to find streams that are NOT stocked. And that's true for me.

The reason is that your chances of catching wild brook trout of decent size, i.e. 8 inches or larger, are much greater on streams that are not stocked.

Back