Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: interesting rainbow

for comparison, here is one of the hatchery escapees from the upper tully. Some of these rainbows are currently spawning.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3215.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2006/12/19 13:20

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

bobm wrote:
for comparison, here is one of the hatchery escapees from the upper tully. Some of these rainbows are currently spawning.

Thats a nice shot Bob...the shot I took yesterday was a little washed out. here they are.

Attach file:

jpg  Tullybow.jpg (0.00 KB)
27_45883dcae2e99.jpg X px

jpg  Tullybow2.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2006/12/19 14:33

From Dallastown, PA
An observation or two about these rainbows. First off Bobs Rainbow has beautiful color and many spots below the lateral line. I would peg this as a PF&BC holdover or wild trout. Not sure about rainbows spawning inthe Tully or not.

Anyway, of the 10 or so bows I caught yesterday at the HEA (Hatchery Escapee Area) none were colored like his. Also, none were spawning. I caught some fat ones, some appeared to have eggs but after opening them up I realized they were not eggs just full bellies. I didn't check stomach contents.

My point is....although the Pf&BC strain of rainbow have been manipulated to spawn in the fall I am not sure what the deal is with the Limestone Springs Hatchery trout is. As we all know Rainbows (Native) spawn in spring and while stocked bows spawn in fall, their wild descendents do as well .

So maybe these spawning rainbows in the Tully are holdover F&BC fish or wild fish. I had never been to the tully before, I was impressed with the stream composition and dynamics. Parts of it reminded me of Big Spring, parts like a freestone hybrid. I understand below Blue Marsh it is more of a Freestone because of the dam. I was also impressed with the access ease, signage and parking.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 14:49

this is a bigger fish, measured out at 16 inches, put up a nice fight.
Took a #16 copper john fished deep on 2lb fluorocarbon and a split shot, no indicator.
I really would like to thank the guy who posted the report about these fish. In a half a day's fishing I had my best ever day, for trout at least, 12+ fish. It sure beat getting skunked as I usually do at the DHALO section of the Tully. It contributed to jump starting my enthusiasm for getting better at fly fishing this coming year.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3212.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2006/12/19 14:52

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Quote:
by bobm on 2006/12/19 13:20:03 Some of these rainbows are currently spawning.

Rainbows usually spawn in the Spring. What do you mean by "currently".

Posted on: 2006/12/19 15:00

Edited by albatross on 2006/12/19 15:52:33

Re: interesting rainbow, spawning in the current

From chester ct
Albatro

I saw a number of bows that were bulging, evidently full of eggs. In the riffles, there were a number of couples in redd behavior.

I think either these escapee bows were confused or maybe they are a strain that does their thing in the early winter.

Saw an angler who was fishing specifically for egg-laden females, so he could use the eggs to upgrade to steelies out of Lake Ontario.

tl
les

Posted on: 2006/12/19 15:05

I would have a hard time believing that those fish are wild rainbows. Check out some photos of where they escaped from:
http://www.limestonespringspreserve.com/gallery/index.htm
I would assume that fish in the raceways did not escape, and that the fish that did were in the natural spring pond areas that would overflow in heavy rains, so they would not have beat up fins like stockies, and also subsisted on natural feeding in addition to the fish food, which the website says is of the highest quality, because they sell the fish commercially to restaurants and grocery stores.

The stream is interesting. Some areas are the usual mud bottom put and take habitat. The habitat that these fish came from was a grevel bottom area that must have been spring fed. I was freezing my ass off on a nice day. One fish I did catch but did not take a picture of was expelling eggs. In addition there was a bunch of them in a shallow gravel area exhibiting spawning activity, and not interested in eating.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 15:13

This fish especially, and a couple of others posted, look a lot like the coastal cutthroats I catch in Oregon. Coastal cutthroats are very heavily spotted like this fish.

Coastal cutthroats and rainbows freely interbreed back and forth and come in all kinds of variations in color and spot patterns between rainbows and cutthrioats.Looks like a Coastal Cut

Posted on: 2006/12/19 15:22

The fish I was referring to is labeled: 4-26-06 035.jpg (66.96 KB)
That fish certainly looks like a coastal cutthroat to me. If anybody has a copy of TROUT (put out by TU a few years ago) check it out.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 15:30

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

KenU wrote:
This fish especially, and a couple of others posted, look a lot like the coastal cutthroats I catch in Oregon. Coastal cutthroats are very heavily spotted like this fish.

Coastal cutthroats and rainbows freely interbreed back and forth and come in all kinds of variations in color and spot patterns between rainbows and cutthrioats.Looks like a Coastal Cut

That is interesting Ken, something I noticed on the 15"er that I caught was it had orange slashes under the throat. I thought Cutthroat for a few seconds...prior to splittinit from a$$ to appetite.

But it had few to no spots below the lateral line and was not vividly colored like Bobs fish. It did have very good fins. Even the caudal (tail) was sharp on the corners. The other two had worn caudal and at least one crippled pectoral and one had a wavy,bony dorsal.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 16:02

From Monessen, PA
Maurice, did you get a chance to use any of the recommended recipes for those trouts?

http://www.limestonespringspreserve.com/recipes.htm

Posted on: 2006/12/19 16:14

From Greensburg, PA
The variations are interesting. Mo's fish and Bob's 16"er still look like blue PFBC mashed potato tasting trout. With the exception that bob's fish is very spotted below the lateral line as stated. The one Ken refers to as resembling a coastal cut is interesting. Except for having that nasty blue hatchery tint to it, it does resemble the fish he states.

The other (greener, if I may) fish are either hold overs or wild. They've obviously been living somewhere else where the meal plan has been upgraded. Who knows, if they are stockies from another time, perhaps these fish that got spilled will color up too, assuming there is enough food for everyone.

Albatross asked about spring spawning...if you read the earlier posts again...someone explained how some are bred to spawn in fall. So they're doing what they're bred to do.

This is an interesting thread.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 16:27

From Greensburg, PA
You know Jack, that chowder recipe just might make them edible...

Posted on: 2006/12/19 16:30

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Maurice, did you get a chance to use any of the recommended recipes for those trouts?

http://www.limestonespringspreserve.com/recipes.htm

No but I plan to this weekend during a get together with my brother. I plan to cook 'em up real fine with a mess of onions and budder on the grill and then broil them...but for now they are in the early stages of freezer burn.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 17:06

From Lock Haven, PA
Wow never saw a bunch of fly fishermen get so excited over rainbows! lol Nothing wrong with it I guess just ya don't see it that often. I myself don't mind catching the bows every now and then. From what I've seen I feel that bobm's first fish he has posted is definitely a hold over or possibly a wild one but more then likely a hold over or one thats been in the water several months. The white tips on the fins is what tells me its definitely been in the water a while. There is only one other rainbow pictured that has white tips but it obviouslly isn't near as colorful. My brother caught a real unusual rainbow this spring...it has about a million spots all over it stomach and all. I'll add it to the thread as soon as I can figure out how to shrink it small enough.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 21:41

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com