I never saw this before

dsmith1427

dsmith1427

I was on fishing creek this weekend and observed something I never saw before. There was a mother duck and her ducklings swimming along the bank below me and the Mother went crazy. She was up on her feet, frantically quacking and flapping her wings against the water. I continued to watch and saw the backside and tail of a furry animal as it was being chased from the water. Less then a minute later, I saw a mink running along the back with a duckling in its mouth....

How big was the mink? 18 inches?

Pretty cool sight if you ask me.

They ARE carnivores.

I believe it's called population control. Everything from bass to muskies and foxes enjoy them nice tender ducklings.

yup. i once saw a Pike take a canadian goose. it attacked it, rolled it then drowned it.

a couple of years later, they took a 39lb pike out of the same pond.

i think the two are related.

They should eat more Mergansers. :)

The mink was about 18 inches long. I saw them on other parts of the creek with a trout in their mouth. Truth be told I would rather see them eat a duckling then a trout.

Don

Was the trout 18 inches long it was eating?

Mink are everywhere this time of year. Feeding the kits. Daytime and night time hunting to keep them fed.

Predators always have their young first so they can clean up the young of the others. Owls, foxes, etc...

That's cool, I love being in the right place at the right time to catch things like that.

snapping turtles love them also, the take can be subtle or vicious.

SBecker,
The trout was small, probably 8-10".

dsmith1427 wrote:
SBecker,
The trout was small, probably 8-10".

Sorry dsmith, I was actually referencing an old thread on here. Made myself laugh.

No problem, I'm glad I made you laugh!

They can't eat all the duckling or trout.

So I take it we have mink around southeast PA?? Saw this guy on the perky downstream from the meeting with the unami. He was maybe a foot long and skinny like a ferret. Saw him run into the rocks and made some mouse/squeel noises, sure enough he popped his head right back out for a picture.

Do ya think this was a mink??

533186_3779316499939_1594675468_n.jpg

Looks like a mink to me, but I can't be 100% sure since it is a B&W photo. If it was as dark as it appears, then it was a mink.

Barrybarry is right they are all over the place.

A lot of people don't realize that mink are all over the place because they are so rarely seen. Partially because they are normally nocturnal, and partially because people just aren't observant. But if you fish, and you are jut a little bit observant, you will see them this time of year.

I've even seen them in broad daylight at work at the pond outback. I'm talking about a crowded Cleveland suburb and this used to be a golf course.

BTW, I once saw a bass eat a duckling. Well, I assumed that is what it was. The mother acted as described and also was poking her head under water fussing like crazy. All of the sudden SPLASH, and there was one less. that is when I spotted a couple large bass. Came back that evening and caught a 5 pounder. I didn't check it's stomach.

Once caught a much smaller bass, maybe 3 pounds that had a blackbird in it's gut and fledgling blackbirds are likely about the same size as a duckling.

I put up a duck box in my pond in the woods this year, and already a wood duck used it. Saw a mother with newborn babies on the pond about a week ago. Pond also has snapping turtles. Hoping at least a few of the ducklings make it, but then, one year something got a full grown duck on that pond. I assumed snapping turtle because the pond surface was covered in feathers. Wife wants me to trap the turtles, but they serve a function. I got rid of a couple a few years ago, but there are more. I actually have them in both ponds.

Clearly one of those cocky-azz minks!

It was black. Photo is a couple years old. If I remember correct it was mid summer and mid dayish. Memory is a bit fuzzy as we usually(almost always) kayak with liquid refreshment.

It's gotta be a mink. They are very dark brown and shiny and depending on lighting can look black. It likely would look black in the shade of those rocks.

Back