I couldn't take it anymore

G

gentleshepherd

Me and my 2 stepsons went out this morning to see what we could stir up. We went to where we have gone since the Southern Season started.

We could not believe how many people were there standing elbow to elbow! I thought we were at a trout derby.

Needless to say - got a few casts in - called it a day on the Wiconisco and headed elsewhere to find a decent spot to fish. All the spots we thought we could hit were packed with people. Some even had grills set up on the side of the road.

It had to be a combination of Easter, and a great warm day.

At least the bait and spinner guys probably had a good day.

Hope you all have a Happy Easter! Remember the reason for the season!

It was insanely busy, that's for sure! As much as the busyness of everything was a downfall it's nice to know that all these families enjoyed the nice weather fishing together. I saw soo many father/son and father/wife/child, grandfather/child combos today that it was just too cool to be upset about the pure insane amount of people out. In just a week it'll die down!

Sure couldn't have asked for any weather, and one of my long term fishing goals got completed on day one! I've finally caught a golden rainbow! (was a small one, but definately made my day)

I know it sucks...But you had your stepsons with you. A chance to show them who you are.To teach them how to behave, what to to do and most importantly what not to do.

This is my suggestion, pick up your gear, go home and make them ........................... pancakes.

If you focus on the boys, you'll do fine. Remember Pancakes! I mean that truly. It;s not about the situation it's about how you react to it. I think pancakes makes perfect sense.

I'm sorry you had a bad day. I've had times I'd like to romp my rod against about a dozen peoples heads on the stream and at work. But I Still have to pay the bills.

Something to consider at supper time, making pancakes instead of a pot roast and Dad making it. Who Wants Pancakes?

I think that without a doubt the nice weather had a role in how busy today was. In years past, there have been snow showers and cold, raw weather to contend with. You really couldn't ask for a better day than what we were given today.

My wife took my oldest daughter out this afternoon and after hitting a few local creeks, came back with a tale of only one fish landed (and returned I might add).

In some ways it's nice to see the crowds to see that the sport of fishing is still alive, even if for a week or two at opening season. While I have my own feelings about seeing all the 'freezer filler' pictures of harvested trout, I know that they are well within the rules to do so and that it comes with the territory...

I'll be glad when it all dies down a bit and things return to 'normal'!

I went to the Coplay creek/Whitehall Parkway. It was unbelievable I couldn't even find myself having a nice spot to fish. There were minimum 3 people per hole. It was quite frustrating, but I do enjoy seeing all the families out enjoying themselves. I ended up finding a few decent spots after being there for 4-5 hours hiking around, getting a few casts here, and there. After being able to get a nice spot I did have a hit but I lost it. Other than that, loads of guys had fish strung, or reeling them in. But actually my local Newspaper got to grab a quick shot of me trying to get a fish out of a small hole I saw out of the corner of my eye. It was actually my first real time out fly fishing so I was quite thrilled to even have a bite.

http://www.mcall.com/news/all-5trout-040310-pictures,0,7605612.photogallery

I'm image number 4 if anyone is interested in seeing the picture for the newspaper. It was a fun day out, and I got to have some more experience with my casting, so I had a blast even though I didn't get to catch any! Oh, I forgot to mention as well...People were camped out, had fires going, grills, coolers, you name it...They had it! :)

Maybe I should have said we couldn't take it any more. My step-sons are older and have kids of their own. We usually go out on the first day as tradition. I make the sandwiches, they bring the soda and candy bars. Good food, good time. Even if we didn't stay long. We did have a good time together just sitting and shooting the breeze.

They and their families will be at out home for dinner tomorrow. 16 for dinner! My wife is bushed! I cut the ham and we are now relaxing watching the tube, which we don't do too often.

Have a great Easter Day!

wetnet wrote:

This is my suggestion, pick up your gear, go home and make them ........................... pancakes.

You are such a......Mom!!! Dads pick up a couple of pizzas and let the boys have a swig of his beer. :-D

You wouldn't understand - it's a guy thing.

Pizza would have been great but we all had Italian the night before.

One good thing that I can see is that some of my clients businesses saw a very perceptible boost in business sales.

Good for them!

Bardon - here's your picture. You live like two minutes from me. Let me know if you'd like to fish sometime - we're surrounded with great trout fishing!

FWIW - I live in N.Catty - and I happen to be a casting instructor. ;-) Was that you I bumped into on the Hokendauqua tonight? I was in the red truck parked behind you, if that was you.

Ed

Attachments

• bd1.jpg
    bd1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4
We took the kids to the hatchery as a way to get 'em out of the house... I figured the heritage area would be dead, and I was right.

So we fed tomorrow's stockies, today. It was an exceptional day to be outside, I even caught Rod smiling at the patrons in his shop and talking to my kids!

You'd think with that kind of good sign on my side, I'd be knee deep in fish. I finally went out to the Monocacy park at like 5pm and promptly saw no action, until I'd clipped my fly off and just did a few practice distance casts and I had _two_ fish nip at my line/leader connection (sigh). At that point, I was out of time and paitence.

So, tomorrow they get their first Zebco rods.

Attachments

• IMGP1844-s.jpg
    IMGP1844-s.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
  • IMGP1863-s.jpg
    IMGP1863-s.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4
I drove out to Manada creek, in the open water just to watch. I figured to watch and them go to the race track, it's just down the road from the track( should have went fishing).

Ive never fish there on opening day but it didn't seam crowded at all. Did talk to a few people, they weren't catching many fish. Got there around 11:00, alot of people back at there cars, with there, grills, coolers and plenty of food!

My Son was at the lower end of YB around nNew Cumberland, said he was suprise, it wasn't as crowded as it usually is opening day.

PaulG

Maybe it's the region Paul and I live in but opening day seems to get less and less fishing pressure around here (south central PA). I fished the opener with a buddy at a popular state park with a scenic, heavily stocked ATW. We've been going there for years. I can remember the large parking area completely filled with cars back in the 1990s. Yesterday, in spite of great weather, the lot was maybe one third full. There did seem to be more anglers than last year but plenty of elbow room. By 1pm we had much of a popular stretch (over 150 yards with several nice runs) all to ourselves. I was pleased to see a lot of young kids in the kids fishing section of one particular creek. In the later afternoon I drove around and saw some bridge areas with no or only one car. One bridge, where a club had stocked a bunch of trophy rainbows, still had probably 15 cars at 5pm. Despite the great weather, I just don't think the crowds are what they were 10 or certainly 20 years ago around here.

It's the economy! Though in recent years even up in NC PA there have been anglers just about anywhere there was water. SE opening Day? I won't fish it, I was out the first year they held it and you couldn't find a place on even obscure wild trout streams that didn't have people fishing.
And PFBC says no one fishes wild trout stream what B.S.! They only have to fish them once a year to wreck them as many anglers as are out on opening day. Keep the wild trout streams no kill until the traditional opening day and make them all 2 fish a day limit until Labor Day.

Heritage-Angler we will have to get together sometime. I'm not sure, I don't believe I was down that far on the creek. I was fishing by the Sheetz in Whitehall area. Haha, I think that's the closest landmark I can refer my location from. And, if you are a casting instructor you could help me on the parts of my fly fishing that I am lacking in! Definitely keep in touch!

The opener was less crowded here than it has been in past years.

jayL wrote:
The opener was less crowded here than it has been in past years.

I agree. I ran into Jay yesterday fishing the opener. Jay is the 17th guy on the right (fishing a spinner!)

Attachments

• 1st day.jpg
    1st day.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 4
I'm a big fan of breakfast for dinner

afishinado wrote:

I agree. I ran into Jay yesterday fishing the opener. Jay is the 17th guy on the right (fishing a spinner!)

ROFL! Scenes like that bring back memories (some good, some not so).

Opening day here in Lebanon/Lancaster was pretty crowded by the looks of things. Lots of cars at the usual "honey holes" along the streams. I never fish opening day anymore as the "less than well mannered" crowd gets to me. I was planning on walking along the banks of one particular steam last evening just to pick up all the trash, but surprisingly, either the crowd cleaned up after themselves, or someone else beat me to it.

peace-tony c.

Just what I said. Pancakes are what they are for every family. It's the time we spend together as a family or the families we make that matter. Fishing is secondery, but it's something to bring us all to the table.

"As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and you have to end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can't be like pancakes. You're all happy at first, but then by the end, you're sick of 'em. "

Mitch Hedberg

I find that to be true about pancakes.

I did engage in combat fishing with the spinning rod yesterday morning. I did keep track for the hell of it, and hooked 12 fish in the first 20 casts with a niti-1 trout killer. I fished with it until 1pm or so, until I lost it. I switched to the fly rod after that, but was mostly satisfied with the day.

When I saw afish, I had a spinning rod, and he had a creel full of fish. Talk about awkward... :lol:

Back