How much do you tie yourself?

JackM

JackM

Staff member
I am pretty much testing the user-created poll feature (I think). But if you want to play along, take the poll regarding what percentage of the flies you use are tied by you.

It allowed me to make the above comment, but I don't see any buttons to set up a poll. I'll hit submit and see what occurs....

PS- when I hit submit on my comment post, it took me to a page to set the poll parameters.

Great addition, Dave. And thanks for the edit button-- I already had to use it (twice).

I don’t get to trout fish much so I buy most of my trout flies, even though I have the material to do so, I just stick to tying Bass Flies

Best Fishes
Merle

I guess I tie about 2/3 of my flies.

I love fishing with flies other people give me and I end up buying too many at TU auctions, especially if I know the tier and I think the flies are going for a low price that insults the quality of the tier. Passing patterns around is a joy of the flyfishing world.

I also like to support local flyshops, especially those that tie their own local flies. It's fun to accumulate different local flies as you travel around. For example, I will buy some Mr Rapidans at Harry Murrays flyshop when traveling down Rte 81 or a Walts worm and some craneflies from Flyfishers Paradise. If I get tips from a flyshop I feel obligated to buy something (usually some local flies) in return.

Finally, there are flies I hate to tie, or ones I don't use enough to buy the material. I will buy these rather than tie them. In that vein, some flies just look a whole lot nicer when tied by a pro.

Jeff, I am like you also in that I generally buy only flies I don't like to tie, such as hoppers. The only other time I buy is when I am stuck away from my vice and am out of something essential.

Other than flies I recieve in swaps, I tie all the flies that I use which covers the range from trout to salt water, sizes 32 to 12/0. The last time I brought flies was 3 or 4 years ago when I stopped in Fran Betz's shop to pick up a license, and he was there tying. I brought a couple, more for a keepsake than actual use.

Except for swaps and flies given to me I tie all my own from#28 to 15" offshore flies..been doing it since 1967..

Back