how many fish can you catch?

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

everyone has had poor days, good days, and excellent days in regards to number of trout landed whether stockers or wild, good weather or bad, or time of year.

i know there are other variables most importantly number of hours fished.

if you were telling the story of your day afield and you smoked em/tore it up/slayed em...etc how many fish would that be for you?

some guys might think 12 is an awesome day and others might think it was just ok meaning the day before or the next day they caught 40.

we all go fishing to catch them so let's be fisherman and brag about how many we land and how long you fished.

for example if i say i smoked em i would have fished from dawn to dark and hit 30. again either stockies or wild...gotta be at the right place at the right time and fish that 20% of the water where they are right? so this does not happen for me often, i wish i could catch 20 and only fish a couple of hours!

let's hear your numbers...

best was 24 o the bushkill

Any day where I hit 20+ was a pretty good day. Crushing them has to be over 30. My average days are 10-15. Crushing them on the yough is usually 2+ for me :)

how many hours? 1/2 day or dawn to dark?

I normally stop counting around 15 or so(that doesn't happen too often). I just ain't big into the keeping track of numbers these days. But if I'm out for a couple hours and catch 10 or more I call it a great day.

Seems lately a average outing for me has been about 20

Once on Trout Run Potter county, and once in Shenandoah National Park ( White Oak Canyon ) had a take on almost every cast dont know how many I landed but it was alot

Caught 24 in less than 2 hours once.. usually I stop counting after 10.

7 might be my highest when fishing all day

:(

Some of my best days were when I caught only a few fish. My opinion is that the quality of your outing isn't measured in numbers, but the fishing experience itself. I never really count, but I know that I am more likely to remember catching a big Delaware brown over a day where I slay trout the whole time I'm out.

njk3395 wrote:
Some of my best days were when I caught only a few fish. My opinion is that the quality of your outing isn't measured in numbers, but the fishing experience itself. I never really count, but I know that I am more likely to remember catching a big Delaware brown over a day where I slay trout the whole time I'm out.

agreed njk. i was just curious how many trout it takes to define slaying...etc, for the ff guys.

last year i wanted to know how many trout i caught in a year. so i kept a journal. this year i think i am going to keep track again only until...and if i beat last years number.

i never kept track of numbers before last year and didn't care about numbers.

25 years ago, I kept a fishing log book with # of fish, species, flies used, weather, water temps and any noted hatches. I found them about a year ago and read through. One day back in the 80's I had over 100 fish in the ditch at BS! Back then, I fished 250-275 days a year. Now I get 10 days a year. At this point in my fishing life, I stop counting at 1, If I'm out fishing, it's already a good day.

krayfish wrote:
25 years ago, I kept a fishing log book with # of fish, species, flies used, weather, water temps and any noted hatches. I found them about a year ago and read through. One day back in the 80's I had over 100 fish in the ditch at BS! Back then, I fished 250-275 days a year. Now I get 10 days a year. At this point in my fishing life, I stop counting at 1, If I'm out fishing, it's already a good day.

priorities as some would say...just joking, i hear ya with time to get out.

that is cool, i am glad i am not the only person to ever keep a log book.

Any day fishin is a good day to me. That's why it's called fishin an not catchin. 1 fish is good, 5 fish is better, 10+ fish, hell of a day.

Two years opening day I fished for 7 hours and caught 140 some I cant remember. With a fly pole my best day numbers was last year and it was well over a hundred, but I have a hidden gem for the first day, after that anywhere from 70 to 100 between me and friends combined is a pretty good day as I rarely fish alone.

"Two years opening day I fished for 7 hours and caught 140 some I cant remember."

1 fish every 3 minutes for 7 hours? That has to be a Guinness World record, or a fish story.

thats 20 fish an hour? thats not that hard, when you fish 7-10 holes in the creek with maybe 50 plus fish in each hole I mean these fish have been eating flies for two to three weeks and now you give em flies with hooks haha. but im not after numbers or anything its usually a tradition at the camp who can catch the biggest, it just happens we fish a stream that is not heavily pressured and normally only run into a handful of guys. sorry if you think im exageratting or lying but thats the truth

azjackstraw wrote:
"Two years opening day I fished for 7 hours and caught 140 some I cant remember."

1 fish every 3 minutes for 7 hours? That has to be a Guinness World record, or a fish story.

Frank Nale does it all the time!!!!!!!!!!!

Right? LOL

Oh dont compare me to him cause i had a day like that once !!! haha that was unreal the water was up that day and most people with hip boots were not able to cross the stream due to barb wire fence on the one side, and the only other place to access has signs saying no parking, so we were able to almost have 75% of the stream to ourselves minus a family who had camped on their aunts property stream side the two days prior to the opener

Had a triple digit day on the Salmon river in late July couple a years back chasing smallies. Arm and shoulder were tired that night.

Back