Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: How do you describe your fly fishing style?

From Bozeman
Well that sure was a neat little fit.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:34

From lancaster county
Its only a fit if i get upset. I was just stating the truth

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:35

From Pittsburgh
I prefer dries. I can and will fish nymphs, streamers, or wets.

There are times when I'll search fish that will take my method and times that I will change my method simply to take fish.

I enjoy difficult fish on dries, but don't enjoy difficult fish on other methods...I guess I'll use them more of a searching / quick fix methods / last resort methods.

I enjoy big fish on small flies (midges).

I can get tunnel vision on my terminal gear and tactics...more out of force of habit & being primarily self taught...which sometimes limits my success rate on nymphing in particular.

I really don't enjoy getting skunked, but am typically successful enough that I no longer base my days' success on fish counts.

I enjoy fishing with and teaching others...but would prefer to give them a guideline to follow and let them enjoy their own journey rather than spoon feed them.

I feel challenged (in a good way) when fishing with "good" fishermen.

My primary dry fly is the compara-dun. I think it is "illusional" enough that fish can see it as they want...dun, emerger, cripple, still born, etc.

I am not a very good bank sitter...If I'm fishing, I'd prefer to be fishing.

My casting style changes day to day...and ranges from somewhat ok to ok.

I find the more I know, the more I know I don't. I'd say I'm journeyman and I'll never come close to mastery...and that is why I enjoy it.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:35

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:36

From Bozeman
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Its only a fit if i get upset. I was just stating the truth

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:38

From Monessen, PA
Please. Everyone is testy and you're testing others' patience. Please avoid threats and personal attacks.

Oh, and

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:41

From Room 109
Bad acristickid, Bad acristickid - hey sal get a hold of yerself.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:46

From "THE VILLE"
I am self taught. I think that gives you an advantage to a more traditional style. I think alot outside the box. Thats helped me onn some days and hurt on others. I suck I think at dry's excell at wets n nymphs. Nymphing I love the days you kinda jedi it. You know you dont set the hook it sets by itself. You don't feel the srtike yopu know it. Thats awsome!

Speakin of left handers chock 1 more up. I cast wrong handed 2.
Like my dad says " gode created everyone right handed some just overcome it....

Posted on: 2010/8/24 15:50
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

I guess I'm known as a Nympher first and exceptionally! non purist 2nd. Some say a hack and some other choice words. Some say I'm a mind opener for some of my out of the box thinking. Been getting into streamers lately for trout. I only find Dries fun in "hatch" situations when distance is'nt needed. Self taught and usually throw weighted stuff so tailing loops become my issue more often than not. I like putting up numbers,if I wanted scenery I'd go for a hike. Nymphing is my go to 99% of the time. Euro is where it's at for me. Using Dahlbergs progression formula I'd say I'm in the Big fish stage. Also know to go into a Happy Gilmore like trance when a big one gets off on an othewise tuff day........

Posted on: 2010/8/24 16:21

From SEPA
Didn't we already do this exact same thread like a month or three ago?

Me? Don't care. I'm not at home, I'm not bored, I'm out doing something vaguely interesting and enjoying nature. Maybe there's a fish, it'll liven up the evening, but chances are it wouldn't matter.

I don't care about being technical, being beautiful (well, more than my inherent beauty, mind you), or numbers (they're fun, though). I just care about doign something.

Dry flies are fun, because they're visual. Subsurface flies catch fish, and I'll just tie a dropper on and do both. Sometimes, it just isn't coming together, and then its easier to bring in a streamer.

I don't understand nymphing, because its boring and way too much concentration. I don't get dry only purists, that's also too much work.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 16:29

From Pittsburgh
I am more of a bell bottoms doing the white man's overbite kind of guy.... oh you meant fishing style?

Hell, not sure if I have a style. I love the challenge of fly fishing. I am a converted conventional tackle bass fisherman and the best way I can describe my feeling about fly fishing is this:

After fishing with a fly rod, whether it be for trout, carp, bass, pike, or salt water species.... all other kinds of fishing feel like surgery with a blunt instrument. Fly fishing is the high art. It is what fine pottery is to playdough. It is what a brush and canvas is to finger painting.

My style tends to be dictated by the conditions and the desire of the the fish. I guess that means my style is whatever the fish tell me it ought to be to be the most successful. I love learning new techniques and watching other fisherman who are better at them than I am.

Not sure what that makes me other than hopefully addicted to this amazing sport. :)

Posted on: 2010/8/24 16:35

sal,
Jay is waaaaay worse in person. I honestly don't know how he didn't win the 'most annoying' poll. Kidding of course. He's just yanking your chain and I guess it worked.

Everybody smile! It's only Tuesday and there's too much more work week left to be getting cranky already.

* insert clever LJ lines here*

Posted on: 2010/8/24 16:49

From NE OH
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
PatrickC- just curious. How do you like to catch them? All ways, and just what you feel like doing that day?

I must admit, I can be moody about it. Sometimes I just want them to take what I want them to take. Other times I'm feelin' way more laid back and just want to catch fish...so I give them what ever is easy (especially when my kids are with me).

I love to fish dries for native PA brookies. I love the little man syndrome attacks they make. The explosions are so big, for such little squirts. I can't get enough of them. They are beatiful and the fact is, they made me a much better caster. Learning to cast to really small holes under some pretty tight conditions was the best thing to ever happen to my fly casting. I will always cast for brookies, no matter what, for that reason.

I will fish dries for other trout, but I find that I have more success catching bigger stuff on large streamers, in warmer waters. Outside of some of the spectacular looking smaller brownies, I enjoy catching larger brownies and steelhead. I connect with fewer fish on big streamers, but those hogs are worth it.

In the winter, obviously things get tough and slow, so I find eggs and nymphs (or small streamers) are most effective...if you can sucessfully bounce them off the nose of your quarry. To me, the entire winter challenge is about getting your offering directly to the fish. Generally, steelhead will take most things you give them in the winter...if you get it to them. I do not think steelhead are nearly as fickle in the winter as some would suggest. Their metabolism is slow in the cold water and they are not moving far for anything. They are opportunists, but in really cold water they do not need to eat as often and are not going to expend much energy to chase after anything. Winter steelhead don't get "lock jaw," their needs are just different and they are not going to make much effort unnecessarily. I'm always proud of the chrome I catch on 10 degree days for these reasons.

I am absolutely a ditch caster. Heck, half of that challenge is simply not spooking the steelhead in those tight quarters just to be able to make a cast. Even though I have to use much larger & stiffer gear in these situations, again, I thank the brookies for teaching me to cast in these conditions.

Big streamers for smallies and LMB. Spring is a great time to catch either on top water stuff as well though.

Small streamers, dries, and poppers for pan fish.

I recon that covers it.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:12

From NE OH
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:
>>4 phases of a fisherman:
First, you just want to catch them,
Then, you want to catch a limit,
Next, you want to catch a monster,
And finally, you want to catch them the way that you want to catch them.>>

Dahlberg said this? It's much, much better than that other "progression of an angler" thing from a lot of fish to big fish to difficult fish.

I always suspected that some twit at the New York Times made that up..

I heard Dahlberg say it, not sure if he coined it though. He has quoted it in his shows and quotes it on a VS commercial. I like watching his Hunt for Big Fish show, but I have to turn off the sound. He is such a cranky bass turd.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:19

From NE OH
Quote:

MattBoyer wrote:
I chuck big fat streamers. It's not the only type of FF'ing I do, but I do it a solid 7 out of ten trips. I throw wets 2 of the other three times and if I hit a hatch at exactly the right time or have a few ants on me I'll throw a dry. I also sit streamside and smoke cigars, drink bourbon and watch the creek, but not as much as I think I am going to when I leave the house.

Boyer

I don't know you Matt, but I like your style. We gotta hit the stream one day...for ALL of the reasons you just mentioned!

Posted on: 2010/8/24 17:22

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com