Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

High Water Techniques

From Ohio
What are your favorite techniques when the water is high and muddy like it is now?

I am in a big wooly bugger, clouser, muddler rut and am looking to change it up....

Posted on: 2007/3/24 12:29

Re: High Water Techniques

I typically go with Wooly Buggers that are tied in brighter colors or ones that have flash. Any streamers that are white will always work well. Also, use flies a couple of sizes bigger than usual. These are your best bets in these tough times.

Posted on: 2007/3/24 14:12

From Greensburg, PA
Big and black...colors don't seem to make much difference when the water is muddy.

Posted on: 2007/3/24 15:35

From Chester County
Ohio,

Like Tom, I usually find a black wooly bugger to be the best medicine for high water conditions. In murky water black has the most contrast, and therefore is the most visible color. A weighted, black, cone head bugger would be the first fly I try. In high water I fish the margins of the stream and slower pockets with the bugger. I will usually try to both dead drift and strip, and let the fish decide which presentation is best. Sometimes tandem flies - bugger/ streamer, bugger/big nymph works too.

Bigger bead head nymphs and junk flies like San Juan worms or green weenies dead drifted on the bottom would be my next choice.

As you know, in faster high water conditions, getting to the bottom is essential. It's not all that much fun flinging heavily weighted flies all day, but that's early spring fishin'. Good luck

Posted on: 2007/3/25 9:23

From SW PA
If its as high and muddy as my local streams are, I recommend the local watering hole with a refreshing beverage!!

JH

Posted on: 2007/3/25 9:42

From Philadelphia
Yep, black woolybugger with a bead.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/3/25 15:25

From Ohio
Used a black BH wooly today in high stained water with success on Neshannock Creek today.

Never thought about the green weenie.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/3/25 20:13

From West Chester, PA
After the ground is thawed, you can't beat fishing san juan worms after a heavy rain event.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 8:11

From Waynesburg,Pa.
I agree with flyfishermanj!

Posted on: 2007/3/26 12:14

High water may not always be fun. Here is one approach I have been using lately and have been getting plenty of fish no more than 1 or 2 feet from the bank, without a lot a casting. Put on a weighted streamer - white, black, or pink are good. Stand on the bank and cast out - don't need to be fancy. Let it swing to the bank and move the streamer a few feet upstream of a log, undercut or some other holding spot. Let a bunch of slack out to back the streamer down into the lie and then let it stop. Let the current do the work or wiggle the rod a little. Retrieve and repeat or let more slack out to the next lie. Some fish do come on the retrieve. Not very elegant, but many fish will be right against the bank in high water and I don't feel safe wading in high water where I fish.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 8:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
99 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com