Hey guys, new PA resident here

F

FishOn247

So happy I found this site. Can't wait to start doing some fishing in PA and posting up my fishing success ( or lack thereof).

I just moved to Harrisburg from Dirty Jerzy so I think I will be fishing the Susquehanna River and trout trips to the famed central PA water.

My summer fishing buddy lives up near State College so I am hyped to fish his water.

I currently do a lot of fishing in New York, the Catskills and the Ontario tribs.

Welll just wanted to say hello. Any ritual initiations that I need to do?

jersey huh? The river is not so hot anymore...maybe want to try something else, what type of fishing you looking for?

Welcome!

From a PA fly fishing perspective - - you are in a great area. Lots of diversity. Though you now have a longer drive to the NJ salt. ;)

Welcome FishOn - you've found a great site. If you haven't already, take a stroll through the forum - there is a ton of info on the State College and harrisburg area streams. Vcregular is right about the longer drive to the NJ shore and Bottomroller is right that the Susky (at least around Harrisburg) is rather poor these days but, all things considered, you're in a great area for FFing.

Typically we require a picture of you kissing a fish as an initiation ritual, preferably under water.

Just kidding! Welcome to the site.

I hear Spring Creek is good. Get your buddy to take you there. The land of many Trutta's.

Congrats on getting out of Jerzy alive. Haha.

My one buddy says I should join some club on Spruce creek. Thats where the presidents go right? Is the fishing any good there?

Doesn't the susquehanna have lots of smallmouth in it?

yeah, VCregular you are right, ocean is a bit farther and the catskills are even farther.

What streams should I check out within an hour of harrisburg. Not asking for secrets just public places to fish. Don't want the hassle of having to get permission to fish.

FishOn247 wrote:
My one buddy says I should join some club on Spruce creek. Thats where the presidents go right? Is the fishing any good there?

Doesn't the susquehanna have lots of smallmouth in it?

yeah, VCregular you are right, ocean is a bit farther and the catskills are even farther.

What streams should I check out within an hour of harrisburg. Not asking for secrets just public places to fish. Don't want the hassle of having to get permission to fish.

Dear FishOn247,

Nice troll.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

FishOn247 wrote:

Well, if you were serious, then you area about to be initiated. :lol:

Welcome.You will enjoy Pa. trout fishing and this site is the best for info.

Dear Fishon,

The club you are referring to is not well liked by members of this board, or too many other flyfishers. The owner tried to post public water. You say you don't like the hassle of asking permission to fish. Imagine then the frustration of knowing that a river that the commonwealth controls is being closed to the public and used for private gain. Fortunately that is over, and we can fish it again.

You also mention the Susquehanna. Unfortunately, something is degrading the fishery through Harrisburg. It was an excellent fishery up until a few years ago, but it's crashed hard.

The good news is, there is a great deal of good fishing left in the Hbg region.

If you want to fish small mouths, the Suskie north of Hbg is still good. You may need to go fairly far north though, like an hour or so. The Juniata river is good, starting at around Newport, and upstream from there.

The trout fishing is good too. Check out Clarks Creek and Stony Creek in Dauphin County. Route 325 runs the length of Clarks. So access is excellent. There is a State Game Lands that gives public access to miles and miles and miles of it. Just look for the brown sign that asks you to hunt safely. At that point you can stop at any of the pulloffs and go right down to the stream. It's never all that far from the road. Stony is in a SGL also, but you have to bike it for much of it's length. There's a Game Commission road that runs along it, but it's closed to vehicle traffic. The Doc Fritchey TU chapter takes care of Dauphin and Lebanon counties. Check out www.DFTU.org for information.

Across the river, you are close to the Yellow Breeches, The Letort, Big Spring and Falling Spring. Check out www.YellowBreeches.com for information and maps.

And there are many less storied trout streams around you too. You'll find them if you look! Get a copy of Dwight Landis's guidebook Trout Streams of Pennsylvania: An Angler's Guide. It'll give you an idea of all that PA has to offer. The fish commission website is a great resource too. Here's a link to their county guides http://pfbc.state.pa.us/CountyGuide/County_Guide.htm

Good luck in PA

Hi fishon

Welcome

I too live in the Hbg area, if you have any question, just ask, be glad to help you out!

PaulG

Welcome to the boards and PA....I'm new here also....nice place here.

yes, Spring creek I heard that is a good one to fish.

PaulG - thanks, once I get settled in I will take you up on that offer.

Padraic - That majorily sucks about a club posting water. I think they do that alot in the poconos also. I will stay away from them then. Any other clubs you can recommend?

Thanks guys.. any other info you want to part with send my way

I don't know. I don't have a problem with the SRC. They are just running a business. They lost in court and opened the water up. I think jealousy is more of an issue than the posting or public water.

Most businesses get sued yet no one hates them. Walmart has around 5,000 lawsuits against them every year. Are they as hated as SRC?

I also believe Donny Beaver has gotten his hands on Mud Run..

Spyder20oz wrote:
Most businesses get sued yet no one hates them. Walmart has around 5,000 lawsuits against them every year. Are they as hated as SRC?

Here? Probably not. In the greater existance of the real world? No one's even heard of SRC outside of a few rich, and not so rich, fishermen. Walmart is probably the most hated corporation in the world.

Yeah, I'd say that they've got SRC beat in hatred.

Spyder20oz wrote:
I don't know. I don't have a problem with the SRC. They are just running a business. They lost in court and opened the water up. I think jealousy is more of an issue than the posting or public water.

In the words of a true ambassador to FF and human kind and I quote.

"Meh"......................

Your probally Donny Beaver INCOGNITO.

Welcome to PA FishOn! It has many of the good parts of Jersey and less of the sludge. From a trout fishing perspective, you just can't beat it!

littlelehigh wrote:
Spyder20oz wrote:

In the words of a true ambassador to FF and human kind and I quote.

"Meh"......................

Your probally Donny Beaver INCOGNITO.

Spyder: I can see how one could view fishermen's anger with SRC to be jealousy, but the big issue at hand that makes them different from other companies "just running a business" is their business is to take away recreational resources from the public in order for themselves and and few people to benefit. This is not a highly ethical way to do business.

It's ironic that you mention Wal-Mart, because they are one of the most hated large companies in existence. Without knowing why, one may guess that this is again jealousy, that the big guy pushing out mom & pop stores is just business, part of capitalism. Yes, that is part of business, but it's how the unethical decisions they make in all aspects of their business that make them different than say Target. I recommend you check out the documentary "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price." I saw this about three years ago when my wife got it from Netflix, and we actually stopped shopping at Wal-Mart because of what we learned. They are that bad!

Sorry to ruin FishOn's introduction thread.

Great post Dude. I agree 100%, but I would like to offer some advice. Don't waste time arguing with Spyder, he's just the resident troll on the PAFF site. He "trolls" the site, and in nearly every one of his posts he "baits" people by posting trash just to get a response and cause trouble. He's a "master baiter." My advice to all is to pay him no mind and he will crawl back under his rock.

I have a friend that has a PHD in Psychology, and he recently wrote a paper on Internet trolls. His conclusions were that trolls are nearly all males, are anti-social, and have very low self-esteem. They use the Internet because it gives them anonymity, since they fear confronting or engaging individuals face-to-face. In nearly all cases, their lack of penis size is the main reason for their low self-esteem. So I believe that’s what’s going on with our friend Spyder.

I think he has other “issues” too. Here are some recent photos Spyder posted. I believe he also has a foot fetish!!!

Attachments

• 6051_600434517568_31709574_35142125_3335459_n.jpg
    6051_600434517568_31709574_35142125_3335459_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6171_598639085628_31709574_35052553_3330843_n.jpg
    6171_598639085628_31709574_35052553_3330843_n.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
Back