Here come the 90s

B

BeastBrown

Welp, I'm sure a lot of you were looking for the temps to crash after this southern moisture funneling up the coast as was I. However, now I see we are going to be hitting high 80s to low 90s until Tuesday at least.

Was really looking forward to marginal streams holding these stocked browns and rainbows over a little longer. Pa summers are so frustrating for the trout addicted!

With the moisture channeling up, it is/was humid and uncomfortable. But not all that hot from a temperature standpoint.

BeastBrown wrote:
Was really looking forward to marginal streams holding these stocked browns and rainbows over a little longer. Pa summers are so frustrating for the trout addicted!

A few hot days here and there will not kill them all off like flipping a light switch. You should be able to still find a decent number of stockies in the ATW's after this heat wave if they were there before.

I wouldn't expect much mortality until we get a heat wave that last a couple weeks or so. Again, it's not like someone flips a switch and the trout all die. It takes a while before the affects of hot weather take their toll. Even after an extended heat wave a surprising number of fish can make it depending on other factors such as stream flow.

Kev

Look, we could all be out west facing 120+ degree weather. When I was out there just last week it reached 106 twice.
Do not "kid yourself" with "there is a difference between dry heat and humidity heat" - when it gets this hot (100+) your either baking or boiling and both are methods of cooking you. anyways - Take extra water with you on any adventure.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Look, we could all be out west facing 120+ degree weather. When I was out there just last week it reached 106 twice.
Do not "kid yourself" with "there is a difference between dry heat and humidity heat" - when it gets this hot (100+) your either baking or boiling and both are methods of cooking you. anyways - Take extra water with you on any adventure.

That's the truth...Some years ago I was golfing in Las Vegas and the temps were 112....hot is hot! But it did get down to the mid-nineties at night
John :pint:

I have to disagree on the difference between dry and humid heat. I played golf in Arizona in 110 degree weather, and it was comfortable as long as you had plenty of water. When the humidity gets up there though, even the 90s can be miserable.

.....so you smile while your baking and not when your boiling - your still being cooked. Either temp requires you to take the extra water.

I've been in Phoenix at 120 and Tuscon at 112. Hot is hot, wet or dry.

120+ going through kuwait last year, was miserable unless in the shade.

Your body's ability to cool itself certainly is extended in a "dry" heat versus a "moist" heat. I'd take 110 degrees of "dry" heat any day of some of the sultry summer weather.

I know this kind of heat isn't an automatic death sentence. However, when I mentioned marginal, I am talking super marginal, but a place that gets tons of pressure and consequently receives a ton of stocked fish, and big breeders at that, and some of them died the last micro heat wave we had along with their smaller friends.

DP

extreme heat is extreme heat - In India during the Monsoon it was 105F and raining, in Tozeur in Tunisia the Saharan noon time temperature was 127F.

i was miserable both times.

as well as fluids, don't forget sunscreen and a wide brim hat - sunstroke is a real risk and can be fatal in the wild. protect your neck and forehead.

Lol, from hot water to an accounting of world travels, only in a FF forum.

"I'm talking super marginal that get a ton of pressure" - insert Tully blast.

Back