Hendricksons (NE)

V

Van_Cleaver

I am being forced to go to a wedding tomorrow which will kill an entire Sat. Hoping to fish on Sun. Wondering whether the hendrickson hatch is happening yet; Brodhead, Big Bushkill, McMichaels, etc. This warm shot should give all the hatches a good kick in the butt, at any rate. Thanks in advance for any info.

Hey VC! I took your advice from over the winter and finally got back on PA Fly Fishing.

I was on the Big Bushkill lower end (mile upstream of Rt. 209) last Saturday afternoon (opening day) and the air was filled with Quill Gordons and light-winged caddis (Grannoms I believe). The Hendricksons were popping around 4:30 in good numbers and there were spinner swarms of Paralep’s dancing over the riffles by 5:00… water temp when I left was 58* F.

I was at Resica yesterday and there wasn’t much happening in the way of trout or bugs. Handfuls of Paralep’s and Grannoms but not enough to get the trout moving in 48* F water… a couple Quill Gordons and Hendricksons as well. It should be a different story this weekend though.

The Hendricksons have been hatching on the Martins closer to home… but no water in that stream (scary for this time of year)… so I’m not bothering those fish, they have enough to deal with.

Shoot me a line.

Thanks Diz; that gives me a better idea of what's going on. Not sure where to fish on Sun; it's bound to be crowded on any of the special regs stretches. We have lots of trout in the local streams, but not as much in the way of hatches. Seems the tan caddis is showing up in good numbers, but the stocked fish will take a little while to get on them. Some of our streams were just dosed with fish in the last few days. Every year I try to catch the hendrickson hatch; but fate has a way of intervening. Tight lines.

Back