Help with a High School Fly Fishing program...

drews

drews

Good morning PAFF members. My name is Scott Andrews and I am a teacher at Coudersport High School in Potter County... A colleague of mine and I are trying to start a fly tying/fishing club at our high school... we have about 20 members thus far that are excited about learning how to tie and learning how to fly fish, the issue is that many of these students have no equipment to do either... My colleague and I have brought in numerous items for both tying and fishing, but were honestly a little unprepared for just how little equipment these guys have. We have 3 members that are currently enrolled in a class sponsored by our TU chapter where they are learning to tie one night a week and it has done nothing but fuel the fire... we were recently approved to be able to take our members on a trip this spring (during school I might add...all the better for them) to fish a few of our local streams... that being said the ultimate goal is to get enough equipment and materials together to tie up enough flies to last us a day on the water... we have had a couple reals and a little material donated so far, but not enough to get these students to where we need to be.... thus the reason for the post...

We need help to get our club started... I have done an inventory list with all our members (so students have nothing at all, most need various items and one is fully outfitted already through family members)... we need items ranging from vises, materials, threads, tying implements, flies / fly boxes to line, reels, waders, boots and rods... We understand this is a tall order and we have had some several donations already (Thank you Allens for the boxes and accessories) but we are in dire need of more. I understand this is a lot to ask of anyone and we struggle even doing so, but we were thinking if there is anything at all related to the items above (or anything else fly fishing related) that anyone would like to donate to these students it would help us get one step closer to having our first tying night after school and ultimately getting these guys on the water!

I have seen the graciousness of those on this board in the past and understand there are many very helpful and willing participants out there, I would like to personally thank you all for your time! Thanks
Scott

What flies will you be tying and what size. What is your opening date

how many per student.

ex.
night 1= demonstrating common practices
night 2= tying size 6 wooly bugger (3 per student)
night 3= tying size 14 Hares ear
night 4= tying size 16 BWo

I think if you could lay it out this way we can break up what materials you will need and get them shipped to you. I think some guys could go through Allen and get hooks shipped to your address reasonably. Allen is great for helping out these types of things but our members can easily ship you 2 packs of hooks for under 5.00. I believe there is free shipping on hooks so if you give a ship too address we each can cover maybe 1 or 2 packs of hooks a piece for under 5.00 and get them shipped to you. Very quick and painless process. I think the hooks and possible beads would be very easy to get to you guys quickly.

Some of us are set up with hairline for wholesale. I can put an email in to see if we are allowed to purchase materials and ship to you guys. Shipping from Oregon can get expensive but you will save a ton of money on material. I may be able to collect some donation money from this site and place an order to ship out. IF HAIRLINE ALLOWS THIS. I have a seperat account set up for my fly business and can easily put funds in this and add this into a spreadsheet so that everone can see exactly where there money has went. This can get tricky but you can get a grade A hairs mask for really cheap. It may take a while to get these materials to you as well.

You may be able to get ahold of them yourself and lay out your plan and see what they can do for you.

I can tie flies and ship them to you but i think your approach is to have the students tie their own flies and catch trout on them.

I am eager to help with this just need to figure out what direction to go. Good Luck!

Drews, I have various items I could offer. I have more than I could use. A little more than 2 years ago my dad passed away. I inhereted all of dads tying stuff. As well as having my own I have plenty. My Dad would be proud to have some new tyers and flyfishermen to have and use some of his materials. My Dad had a great love for FF, which he passed on to me. Send me a email or pm. I will let you know how I can contribute.

Regards,

gencon real name Michael

Mike...

As for a list of flies, most students have no experience in tying, so basics we will start with how to tie on, knots, hook management etc... as for what we hope to tie...

- Wolly Buggers (Olive White Black Brown) sz8 Sz 6
- Slumpbusters (olive brown) Sz 8
- Pheasant tail nymphs sz 12
- Hairs Ear nymphs sz 12
- Rusty Spinners sz 12
- Green / Pink Winnies sz 12
- Salmon egg patterns sz 12

As for dry flies I have no problem saying that this is not my or my colleague's strong point! If there were someone who was interested in helping out with some dry flies that would be extremely helpful (adams, Drakes, Red / Blue Quills).

We were talking to a friend who has an established FF club, and he noted that the first trip his members lost more flies than he could have imagined! So we will never turn down fly donations...

List of possible materials could include...
- Marabou
- Hooks
- Beads for sz 12 nymphs
- Chenille
- Hackle
- Thread
- Dubbing
- Rabbit strips

I hope this helps / answers some of the things you mentioned in your post. I would like to again say thank you in advance for all/any help that the members of this board offer our club. Our goal is to build a stockpile of materials that we can use with the members to tie flies and keep them fishing. We hope to have rods students can use and even waders for those who cannot afford their own. I have a secure storage area where we could keep these items so they can be utilized for years. Thank you!

Our address...

Scott Andrews
Coudersport High School
698 Dwight Street
Coudersport, Pa. 16915

GenCon,

PM sent, thank you so much! Our condolences on the loss of your father... we would like to say thank you for honoring us this offer.

Ill donate some hooks for the nymphs and buggers. I know that it is not much but I'm taking the money right from my fly tying business account. I can donate:

100 size 12 nymph hooks
50 size 6 streamer 2xl hooks for buggers
50 size 8 streamer 2xl hooks for buggers

If you would like me to focus on just getting you 200 nymph hooks i will do that as well instead of picking up the bugger hooks.

I may be able to add some more when i get some more orders in. I will be doing a hairline order soon as well and may be able to add a few items in it for you as well.

Hope some other guys can help pick up the other things. Allen may help you out as well with boxes and maybe some other things. Some guys can donate some dry flies as well.

I will be willing to donate a few caddis and maybe BWO variants. I will be in Potter County on the First day of trout and would volunteer to meet up with you guys and give the kids a hand if you would like as well, if you are going out that day. I live in SWPA and about 3 hours away, so i really cant get more active in this but think it is awesome what you are doing. I wish they had this at my school when i was younger.

Let me know if these hooks will work for you. Sorry I can not donate more at this time but funds are a little low right now for me but I don't count my business account with my personal.

Take care, look forward to helping out. Let me know what hooks you would like and I will get them shipped as soon as I can.

You may be able to get Pro-line to donate some hip boots. I know this is not the most ideal but it would be easier for a company to donate a 30.00 item insead of 100

pm sent. going to be in potter and can put a care package of material together. might be able to meet up and drop it off

Mike,
The hooks you have listed would be great! We really appreciate your help! Please don't put yourself out and your offer is more than generous enough!!! Thanks again and I PM you perhaps we can meet...you'll understand when you read the message...thank again

meeting not necessary. i will put together a care package of my own materials and ship it out. Thanks again and good luck! Congrats on the twins.

Scott a "package" left today. Please look for it early next week. Go Falcons!

Good Luck,
Rolf

Bump! :)

Rolf,

Thanks a lot for the gear!!!! We will definitely be putting the materials and vice to work shortly! thanks again!

Scott

Drews,

Just sent you 300 hooks from allen. They were out of size 14 nymph hooks however. I am sorry it took so long but my schedule is crazy right now. I just put in a hairline order and will try my best to get a care package of material. Again I appologize for the delay on this.

Keep me in mind if you are taking anyone out on the first day, I would be more than happy to donate some time.

Mike,

Hooks received and greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Back