Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help: Erie Steelhead Fishing

From New Kensington
March is not a bad time, just hope the streams are ice free. Fall is the best time, but crowds are crazy. If I had to pick an ideal time, it would be Thanksgiving til the first of the year.

Flies, I usually use suckerspawn (pink, white, orange). Sometimes I throw on a bugger if they seem to be aggressive or will chase or the waters are a bit warmer. I also love fishing small nymphs (pheasant tail, hare's ear, black stones) and I will fish all my flies in sizes 18 - 14.

Definitely want to get a good drift/presentation. Don't be afraid to use some weight. I like fishing the faster runs and stay away from the deep slow pools, but that is my preference. I will walk around and move to find fish, I don't stay too long in one place.

Places to stay and eat; plenty of places in and around the city. The streams are not that far of a drive. Either mile streams or Walnut and Elk. Poor Richards is good, Avonia Tavern and Green Roof Inn are a few places near Elk and Walnut that I stop. I do usually just fish Elk and will fish Conneaut in the spring on the Ohio side.

As for rods, I have used a 5 wt., 6 wt. and 8 wt. I will use a different size pending on crowds, water flows, temps and time of year. Don't be afraid to use stronger tippet; start off stronger and if they are not taking, scale down.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!

I want to add this, you are about to be sick. You are going to get the sickness of always wanting to catch these chromers. Have fun and enjoy.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 11:50

From York, PA
Wow guys, I appreciate all of the awesome advice!!! There is way more helpful information here then I ever expected to get back.

I think we are going to try to head up to Erie on March 6. Thanks for the invite for this weekend ryguyfi, but unfortunately I will be out of town.

That is a sweet looking pattern JustFish and a local fly shop (Great Feathers on the Gunpowder) reccommended the same fly.

I ended up getting a 9' 7wt TFO Professional and a Lamson Konic reel. Hopefully this will be a good steelhead set up and double as a light bass outfit.

Again, thanks for all the useful tips. There is too much good advice to point it all out, so thanks everyone. This site is a very useful tool for fly fisherman!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:42

From York, PA
Quote:

I want to add this, you are about to be sick. You are going to get the sickness of always wanting to catch these chromers. Have fun and enjoy.

I feel it already and I haven't even gone yet!! This may be a life changing experience!! HAHA

Posted on: 2009/2/25 14:44

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
as mentioned above... check out the www.fisherie.com website. They have decent maps with access points. And if you can trust the reports, some people post on recent luck and stream conditions on that site. Call up the Folley's End Campground shop and ask for conditions, they're pretty good. My goal is to get one on a dry this weekend. You're addicted!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 17:26

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com