heat wave

k-bob

k-bob

if nothing else, a chance to see which streams stay cool. my heat interventions include better breathable waders, 60 to 100 oz carried drinks, mesh vest, water damp neck gaitor, vented shirt ... plans to try multiple streams near roads (no big walk in and faster to get a stream temp)... hit the road early... avoid streams with impoundments or swampy headwaters... what am I missing?

almost forgot cat crap ( anti fog product for glasses)...

Take a friend along. :-D

In all honesty...just air conditioning. The really cold streams...true limestone springs, tailraces (relatively near the release point), and extreme headwater freestoners will sometimes have a layer of cooler air a few feat over them that makes these conditions borderline bareable in fishing attire. Other than those circumstances I generally won't fish...even wet wading a WW stream gets tough once the air temp hits 90.

Swattie87 wrote:
In all honesty...just air conditioning. The really cold streams...true limestone springs, tailraces (relatively near the release point), and extreme headwater freestoners will sometimes have a layer of cooler air a few feat over them that makes these conditions borderline bareable in fishing attire. Other than those circumstances I generally won't fish...even wet wading a WW stream gets tough once the air temp hits 90.

+1. Find something else to do until things cool off a bit. I was thinking yesterday that some of my best ww fishing didn't start until football season last year.

Ok I never heard of cat crap, but an anti-fog for glasses is just what I need, so I checked reviews on amazon.

Reviews split between works great and a complete waste of money. So are there any special tricks to getting this stuff to work other than not actually sweating too much?

My dermatologist would be disappointed if sun block was not in the list, btw.

right, synthetics wick sweat away better than cotton...

fished in 100 heat index yesterday shorter trip but wasn't that bad...

have been trying some ez access streams or ones that cross roads (get water temp w/o hiking in..)

stream w/ "spring" in name is a plus...

cat crap is to me about 3/4 reduction in lens fog so I think it is worth using

and extreme headwater freestoners will sometimes have a layer of cooler air a few feat over them that makes these conditions borderline bareable in fishing attire.

That is true, my brother and i camped on a stream up in Sproul around the 4th of July and the air temp was about 85 on the ridges. Down in the streambed it was about 75. It cooled down to about 60 by 10:00pm at night and the forecasted low for that area was 65. The stream was bank full and about 60 degrees though, so the cooling effect was more significant then than it is now with lower water levels.

I like small mountain streams and the water temps can be OK.

you def see the water temp differences between nearby streams...

just keep drinking water and watching water temps...

right the ravine shade and microclimate can help

+1 for cat crap. It's not perfect but does have an effect in my opinion. I can tell you that I forgot to put it on and my glasses fogged. I then put it on and my glasses did not fog for quite awhile.

watch for snakes they move around in heat...

Bug spray. Don't know what it is, but right about this time of year, around cooler streams, there are those smaller skeeters that have camouflaged wings and they are such biters.

I think I still like summer fishing cause I am fine with seeing a new place even if I only catch a few fish. caught brookies on two new streams for me this weekend. I like that even if I don't catch a lot of fish

right need to watch the gnats ... can be a pain

streams near fast food w drive through or a window service ice cream place.. ice cream w/o taking off waders and boots

I would like to see another rattler--so long as he or she announces their presence. A pretty good brook trout stream this:

I have only seen a few rattlers, none right near a stream. thanks for the vivid reminder to watch !

Temp. in philly95,temp in Fl.90. Happy summer time.GG

Back