Heading to Harmons!!

bikerfish

bikerfish

So, my girlfriend and I are heading to Harmons next wed for the trip I won as a prize at the JAM! I extended the stay a couple nights and made it into a nice long weekend, the folks at Harmons were very nice to deal with. I'm excited to head down, I know the area well, but I've never fished there, only nearby brookie streams, SO, for those that have fished there, what should I have with me for those big stockies??
Hoping for nice weather so we can take the bike and do some riding as well as fishing. probably head up to dolly sods for a nice hike as well. The girlfriend doesn't mind fishing, but fishing all day everyday ain't gonna cut it!!

green or olive Weenies and orange Egg Pattern. If they are rising, you'll have a lot of fun with dry flies...they aren't too picky on the surface. Atleast that was the ticket last fall. I've been there three times and all three times the fish and the river behaved completely different than the last time. Ask around and talk to one of the Harmans at the shop, they'll give you good advice! Good luck!

All I'll say is they forbid the competitors at the event in the Spring from using eggs of any form...

Yea, but I think that is because it is just too easy to catch their stockers with eggs. They are not completely outlawed at Harmans. I would use eggs and Walts or sexy walts mostly. If you want to make it difficult try other stuff, but if you just wanna hammer fish start with those. Make sure you take a hike over the mountain and fish the upper section, you will not be dissapointed! Have fun.

I had good luck with olive crayfish for the bigger bows. Don't overlook the faster water sections using an olive bugger. They really smack it when it's moving fast past them. You'll love it at Harman's.

My wife and I road our bikes up along Seneca Creek and I got to enjoy the wild brook and rainbow trout. I'll PM you the parking spot. I won the Harman's stay at the 2012 jam.

Have fun!

My wife did well with sucker spawn and I caught a good bit on walts worms and darker colored buggers. You'll enjoy your stay there. I can't wait to go back.

Have a good time, make sure you relax a little bit. I watched you win the trip at the jam, good luck & good fishing.

Please be sure to take a picture of the Shane Becker portrait when you walk in the office!

Have a great trip Biker! Lookin forward to hear all about it!

Thanks for the info and well wishes!! oh yeah, I'm planning on relaxing a bit, it's been one hell of a busy summer and I'm due for a few days of just chillin. I'll be sure to give a full report when we get back. It's gonna be a long 7 days till next wed, that's for sure, and the time spent down there will fly by.
anyways, another question to those that have stayed there, what did you do for food? I know there are stores in Seneca rocks and Petersburg, any decent restaurants nearby? I believe the cabins have full kitchens, so cooking is no problem. Might have to go over the mountain for a hellbender burrito or visit the purple fiddle!!
Now, what rods to pack??!!!! :-D

wgmiller wrote:
Please be sure to take a picture of the Shane Becker portrait when you walk in the office!

I'll make sure to make it a good one that can be blown up to poster size!

My recollection is the nearby restaurants did not impress. Hope you have better luck.

I've done best there with streamers. Those big fish really attack those flashy big steamers. I use 4X Flouro for the monsters there and have several different patterns. Be sure to walk to the area upstream of cabin #15. You will have a long walk or a scary wading experience to get there but its worth it.

If water is not that bad, you can cross at the riffle below 15 not too bad and work upsteam.

bikerfish wrote:
anyways, another question to those that have stayed there, what did you do for food?
When the wife and I went we just packed steaks, salmon, and other stuff we could throw on the grill. It was nice to relax at the cabin and grill there.

Forgot to add the drive up to Dolly Sods is kinda... well... just take it easy. My wife was scared ****less and told me that we will not be making that trip again any time soon. YMMV as my driving can be aggressive at times. It's a long drive with no guard rails, at a significant altitude, steep drop-offs, one lane, not one way, lots of blind curves. Loads of fun! The views at the top are absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, watch out for the left over bombs up there.

steveo wrote:
Forgot to add the drive up to Dolly Sods is kinda... well... just take it easy. My wife was scared ****less and told me that we will not be making that trip again any time soon. YMMV as my driving can be aggressive at times. It's a long drive with no guard rails, at a significant altitude, steep drop-offs, one lane, not one way, lots of blind curves. Loads of fun! The views at the top are absolutely amazing. Oh yeah, watch out for the left over bombs up there.

ha ha!! yeah, I've ridden the bike up there a bunch of times, and yes, the road can be a challenge at times! I'd love to stumble across one of the old bombs, take a picture, then get the hell outta there. I really like hiking around up there, feels like the top of the world. Spruce knob is another great place to visit with astounding views.

Back