HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: Guide Tipping

From NE OH
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Also, know any guides? I do. How would you like your day to be filled with helping a guy catch a fish when he can't cast 20' ?? Tip him and say "thanks for untangling my knots all day".

^^^That right there

Posted on: 2013/7/24 9:28

From NE OH
Anyway, I was out with another guide on Lake St. Clair yesterday. Took my daughter (9y/o) out for a day of smallie fishing. She's a little too small to cast larger fly gear. He worked with her with a spinning rod while I hammered smallies on fly gear. I tipped him $75 for his extra effort in helping out. We had a blast. I'm sure it will be a day she and I remember for ever. Not only that, I was able to pick his brain all day on muskies on the fly. If your guide is that bad, I guess don't tip him/her, but I've never been on the water with another guide that didn't teach me something new and give me an experience where I wanted to show a little extra gratitude. And that is what a tip (or gratuity) is for...an extra thank you!

Heck, I tipped a guide $100 for the day when I landed 2 50" muskie in the same morning. The guy worked his butt off and put me in a position to catch the fish. I knew how to catch them, but I don't have a boat and don't know the lake. Don't take for granted how much work went into making a day successful for you...years of work usually.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 9:35

Edited by PatrickC on 2013/7/24 9:50:33

From down the block from the Letort.
From what I've picked up reading The Drake, a case of PBR and a nice fat joint should suffice.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 9:48

From Jersey Shore, PA
As a not-yet-retired guide I can't let this one go. I've had 3 trips so far this season with clients who didn't tip; yet, all of these folks let me know repeatedly that they had their best days on the water ever and they learned a lot. I took photos and they reminded me they looked forward to my emailing them said photos. I've chalked these up to this being their first time with a guide. If I find that I am in error I would not be a happy camper. One thing is obvious: these folks didn't do their homework.

Regardless how someone feels about tipping, as it has been said before, tipping is the accepted/expected practice. Don't think for a minute that a guide who is told he or she has provided the client a great experience doesn't look for that tip. The client who doesn't tip is definitely "marked." When I loan equipment or hand out leaders, flies and other accessories - everything the client may need to be able to fish as effectively as he or she can - in addition to all of the other "stuff" mentioned in other posts, there's far more invested by the guide, whether in a boat or wade fishing, than many realize.

I would offer these suggestions to anyone who is going on a guided trip. First, if this is the first experience with a guide, do as much research as you can. Determine all that is expected/required of you, the client. Second, communicate very clearly with your guide to determine what the guide expects of you (excluding the tipping issue if you plan to tip). Third, make sure you fully understand what the guide will provide. This includes whether the guide will provide transportation, equipment, accessories, etc. Don't put either of you in a position to assume anything.

If someone is planning on hiring a guide and doesn't believe tipping is appropriate I can't urge you strongly enough to communicate to the guide that there will be no tip. At this point the guide can decide whether or not to accept to move forward or decline the trip.

A guide has invested a lot of time and effort in developing the skills necessary to provide clients the best possible experience. I believe this also includes equipping the client with additional skills to fish more effectively in the future.

Compare what a guide charges to what others charge in various technical or professional fields. I believe you'll find a guide is inexpensive in comparison.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:11

From Philadelphia PA
Sorry if I bust on you Patrick, You did not tip him, you paid for the extra service he was providing called child care. You are fortunate that this worked out as well as it did for YOU, and that the guide had that kinda patience. My praise goes to the guide. As for you, you did not talk about the fish your daughter caught. Your post above is about ME..ME...ME...read it again if you don't believe me. She may remember that day as "the day dad dumped me onto some guide" so he could catch fish. I KNOW I'VE BEEN THERE...AND MY DAUGHTER HATES ALL FISHING. I was to blind to see what was important to her in an outing. If I could turn back time...if only.....

This does however bring up an important question of how old should a child be before they share in the experience of guided trips?

JackM: I would be proud to go fishing with you, just because of your ethical delemma.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:13
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

I've been out there on floats the last few years. I generally start with the idea of 20% and think about dialing it down if the guide doesn't really work at it. Thankfully I have not run into any issues yet and have been happy with the guides. I also don't take into consideration the number of fish caught as I feel that's on me and Mother Nature ( though a good guide can certainly help there).

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:13

From NE OH
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Sorry if I bust on you Patrick, You did not tip him, you paid for the extra service he was providing called child care. You are fortunate that this worked out as well as it did for YOU, and that the guide had that kinda patience. My praise goes to the guide. As for you, you did not talk about the fish your daughter caught. Your post above is about ME..ME...ME...read it again if you don't believe me. She may remember that day as "the day dad dumped me onto some guide" so he could catch fish. I KNOW I'VE BEEN THERE...AND MY DAUGHTER HATES ALL FISHING. I was to blind to see what was important to her in an outing. If I could turn back time...if only.....

This does however bring up an important question of how old should a child be before they share in the experience of guided trips?

Oh, you must have been in the boat with me and observed us all day. You should probably get to know me a little better before making ignorant remarks like that. I spent the day photographing my daughter with her fish and helping her land fish and yes, I hammered a few smallies myself. In fact, my daughter caught way more fish than I did yesterday. Maybe you could try asking more questions before making silly assumptions in the future. My apologies for not wording my post to your expectations.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:26

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:

JackM: I would be proud to go fishing with you, just because of your ethical delemma.

Having interacted with Patrick for a few years now, I know how much his family means to him. I feel your comments are way out of line and you should apologize.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:35

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From NE OH
No apology needed. If my post seemed that way, then it did. It is however, the kind of question you ask in a PM. The thought is valid and had it played out that way it would be worth considering. I'm tired and cranky from the long day yesterday. Sorry for being cranky.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:38

Number one contender for the cheap shot award 2013. Astounding.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 10:41

From Ephrata, PA
Lots of high horses being riden around here lately...but I double checked. Most of those high horses are just jackasses.

Your pics from the boating trip look awesome, Pat. You and your daughter had a rippin' time. She'll always remember the trip, for sure, in a possitive light.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I've only ever hired guides twice. Both not in the U.S.A. So not only do I lack the experience, but it gets trickier as expectations are different in different places.

For instance, in Switzerland, there is not much of a tipping culture, apparantly. Wait staff and so forth are paid hourly, and unlike here, not expected to earn much of their money via tips. Prices are thus considerably higher, but tipping is truly optional, and when people do tip it's far less than here (rounding up is common, adding extra is not). Works out the same in the end, just a different way of doing things.

That left me not sure how to handle my guided fishing experience there. And there wasn't much research that could be done, as there aren't many guides! Also, I put a hole in his waders on some barbed wire. Patchable (and it wouldn't have been the 1st patch), but still. And he did do a great job. I threw him an extra $50 francs (which is a little more than 50 dollars), and that was about 10%. He implied it was more than generous, but I'm still uneasy about it.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:27

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Definitely should tip. I thought about going out with a guide to a Central PA stream this year and it was about $250.00 for a full day. If I get 8 hours of fishing out of that, that's only $31.00 roughly to get that service and years of experience/knowledge from them.

In any industry that you are in (my case; Finance), we pay up to $500 an hour for Consultants (might as well call them guides), so throwing a $50 on top for a tip isn't adding much to your hourly rate.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:39

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:

Compare what a guide charges to what others charge in various technical or professional fields. I believe you'll find a guide is inexpensive in comparison.

That's probably because guiding is not even close to comparable to those fields. A more apt comparison would be a golf caddie, and I think you'll find that guides are expensive in comparison. But I'd tip a caddie so I'd consider tipping a guide.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:35

From Da 'Berg, PA
this might sound dumb but the less you charge me, the more i'm going to tip you - if you charge me $180-$200 for a wade trip, then yeah i might hit you with a $50, but if i'm paying you $400+ then i'm going to give you $30 and probably resent that.

having seen guide prices on the Cape and Bahamas go to $450+ per angler, I think they're already taking the piss, so a tip would just irritate me more.

In MA, Maine, Labrador, Newfoundland and Virginia (not to mention Ireland) to can get a day for a $150-$180 all in.

And don't start me on lodges - $4k a week and they want a tip too...

Posted on: 2013/7/24 12:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
30 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com