Green wenies

V

VINNYT

how do u fish them what do thay imitate can u fish them by ther self i know thay work for blue gills but what about trout

thanks

Some people swear by them. Meck wrote about them. He had good luck in early spring on the Loyalhanna with them. They copy the inchwork or a caddis.

I personally have never caught a fish on one and think that they are someone's inside joke.

I hate them but up until last year I didn't fish buggers either.

The Green Weenie is essentially an attracter pattern although - to the extent it imitates anything - trout probably take it for a caddis larvae or inchworm. Fish it dead drift like any nymph. It does catch trout! I have found that the GW is especially effective for sight fishing to stocked brook trout. Partly because the fly is highly visible underwater you can see it and see the fish take it.

They work well for trout as I learned when Tim Murphy sent me some to try. I was always reluctant to try them because the name made them sound almost like cheating. Then someone, maybe Tim, told me I could call them "rock worms," so I felt a little better about it and gave them a try. I caught fish until I lost them all. I think the reason they work so well, is because they are slightly larger than the average trout's brain.

Believe me the GW will catch trout. Even me one of the worlds worst nymph fishermen can catch trout with a GW!

One of the very most effective flies for wild trout. I prefer the older names: Green Inchworms or Sinking Inchworms.

They imitate inchworms and green caddis larvae.

There are many ways to fish them. One way is to just fish them as a nymph. Put some weight, splitshot etc. roughly a foot above the fly and drift through runs and pocket-water and into pools.

On small freestone streams, in the summer and fall, I fish them more as a terrestrial. That is, I often fish them without splitshot just casting them to likely places much as you would fish other terrestrial patterns, such as beetles. Fish often hit them as soon as they hit the water. I often tie them with a little fit of fine wire underneath the chenille so they sink without adding splitshot.

Because of the goofy name that someone attached to this fly, most people think of this as a sort of joke fly or junk fly. Most people are wrong. :) This fly is very effective for two reasons. One is that imitates foods that are available to most trout, inchworms and caddis larvae, and these foods are very attractive to trout, as they have no hard shell like most nymphs.
Two is that the fly is bright green and highly visible. The fish sees it right away.

Hey, They are inexpensive to tie and easy to fish. And for all the reasons stated above, is an effective pattern. I fish a lot of natural looking insects, but I even use them.
I like them on mountain streams because brookies will eat anything that resembles food, and if I get stuck on the rocks or in the trees, I don't have to get P.O. to break it off.

I've got a buddy who always seems to catch more fish than I do. If he's fishing under the surface, it seems he's always got a green weenie tied on. I plan on tying some for this season.

PaulG, I have never seen you use anything but a WMD or Crows Beetle :-x

Merle

troutbert wrote:
One of the very most effective flies for wild trout. I prefer the older names: Green Inchworms or Sinking Inchworms.

They imitate inchworms and green caddis larvae.

There are many ways to fish them. One way is to just fish them as a nymph. Put some weight, splitshot etc. roughly a foot above the fly and drift through runs and pocket-water and into pools.

On small freestone streams, in the summer and fall, I fish them more as a terrestrial. That is, I often fish them without splitshot just casting them to likely places much as you would fish other terrestrial patterns, such as beetles. Fish often hit them as soon as they hit the water. I often tie them with a little fit of fine wire underneath the chenille so they sink without adding splitshot.

Because of the goofy name that someone attached to this fly, most people think of this as a sort of joke fly or junk fly. Most people are wrong. :) This fly is very effective for two reasons. One is that imitates foods that are available to most trout, inchworms and caddis larvae, and these foods are very attractive to trout, as they have no hard shell like most nymphs.
Two is that the fly is bright green and highly visible. The fish sees it right away.

I'd agree with all this. When the inchworms are falling on the water, I tie them without weight and slap them on the water. Otherwise, I think the "normal" beadheaded version is most effective early in the day. I like to tie them on curved hooks. I think that makes the fly "twist" in the water and the extra movement is a little more attractive.

Padraic,
Speaking of slapping them on the water, I caught my largest Valley Creek trout (18") with a greenweenie. I saw an inchworm hanging from a branch that hung over a pool and thought hummm. Sure enough, I slapped the fly on the water beneath the branch and this huge trout just exploded out of the water. Needless to say, it took me a while to stop shaking after that one. :-D
Coughlin

I reckon I only need ta know one thing. Y'all soak 'em in salmon egg juice first? :cool:

Dear Vinny,

If you don't want to fish the Green Weenie try one of Fred Bridge's Infamous Pink Worms.

http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesF/pink_worm.htm

fb-pinkworm.jpg

These things should be illegal. They work everywhere I have tried them. Sometimes I just toss cast one out in to a deep pool and not even bother to set the hook. I just like to see all the fish swim around like crazy picking it up and swimming off with it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I use them because I have been witness to a very good agnler use them to catch very big trout, both browns and brookies. We call them greenie worms, I think that is more appropriate since we don't tie the stupid looking loop in them when we tie them. Trust me, if you want to find the king of the pool in summer time when nothing is happening, cast in one of these and hold on.

well... everyone else said it better and earlier.

but, i'm gonna tell you to take the 5 minutes to tie a dozen and have fun.

:::psst::: don't tell anyone, but they even work on the notoriously hard tully trout.

I couln't resist! If you look carefully you can see it in his upper lip. I rarely use them, but I'm not sure why. There definitely doesn't need to be caterpillars around. Boyers brown widda weenie

Boyer

45.jpg

Thanks for all the replys Im ganna try that pink worm and tye some green weenies ( im taking a class at family ties )btw jayL Im not shure what a tully trout is.

a tully trout is just a fish from the tully...
http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1sc_tully_narrative.cfm

What's your best green weenie recipe?

p.s. does the long back end of that pink worm hinder hookups??

Chartruse chenille, black thread, lead wire.

Add wraps of lead as desired.

Tie chenille in at bend of hook and make a small loop for the tail, tie off.

wrap thread forward

wrap chenille forward

tie off, make head, whip finish.

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/fly_tying/green_weenie/green_weenie.htm

That looks about right.

Meck suggests to use different thread colors to signify how many wraps of lead. I usually tie them lead free, personally...

Back