Green Drake

Hook_Jaw

Hook_Jaw

Any day now the Green Drake should pop on Penn's. Let the fun begin.

As soon as they begin, please let us know and save a parking space for me and my eight fishing buddies! :cool:

Hook_Jaw wrote:
Any day now the Green Drake should pop on Penn's. Let the fun begin.

The horror. The horror.

anyone fish the Brown Drakes? There's a hatch locally for me and wondering if it is similar to the Greens. Supposed to be a short but good hatch. Is the spinner for the Browns a Coffin Fly too?

I recall the brown drake on your criks being in the mid to upper teens of May. (RIGHT NOW) The duns hatch all day long, like the green and the catching is sporadic like the hatch, when the spinner fall ocvcurs get over a good riffle and start plunking those #10 brown rusties on the water and hold on!

The fly itself is not like the coffin, I tied a #10 2xl with an extended body. These are huge flies....similar to the march brown spinners at Penns...if you say them only bigger.

I've fished a fair number of brown drake hatches, most notably on the First Fork (where the water was 73 degrees and the fish were wandering around like they were on a demerol/xylocaine cocktail) and maybe on Kettle as well, if memory serves. Also on the Prairie and Plover Rivers in NC Wisconsin. If memory serves, this is a bug with a fairly short emergence window (4-5 days and that's it).

By far though, the best brown drake fishing I've had has been over smallmouth on French Creek in Crawford County. It can get pretty wild and actually, should be happening within the next week or so if the weather is normal (a topic on which I have no idea from 500 miles away).

Yes I emailed Bob from the Neshannock fly shop and he said it is short and should start happening any day now on the Neshannock. He said it usually happens in late may to early june for about a week max.
So an extended body brownish rusty spinner in sz 10 would do the trick for the spinner? I've got a few typical catskill dries, but want to hit the spinnerfall in the evening.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll keep an update on this topic if anyone wants to join me when I head out.

Maurice wrote:
I recall the brown drake on your criks being in the mid to upper teens of May. (RIGHT NOW) The duns hatch all day long, like the green and the catching is sporadic like the hatch, when the spinner fall ocvcurs get over a good riffle and start plunking those #10 brown rusties on the water and hold on!

The fly itself is not like the coffin, I tied a #10 2xl with an extended body. These are huge flies....similar to the march brown spinners at Penns...if you say them only bigger.

These sound like what Jack and Alby and I ran into one night on the Yough. No one had anything big enough to get them up. I had 2 takes on a coffin fly left over from the Jam but it being the wrong color it was all I could get. They were really big and dard like you described.

tom, those were March Brown Spinners. Did you guys get any good fish?

So which date has the highest priority on your computer alert program, your anniversery, or the hatches on your favorite streams??

How's the Green Drake hatch coming along? Has it started yet, or just some nymph sitings?

No word on the Brown's in my area yet. Hopefully soon.

ryguy,

You also got Hexes out there. Look a lot like a Green Drake. I know they're heavy off the Allegheny and some tribs, even in downtown Pittsburgh!

ryguyfi wrote:
How's the Green Drake hatch coming along? Has it started yet, or just some nymph sitings?

Sounds like it on Penns:

http://thefeatheredhook.com/stream.html

http://www.pennscreekangler.com/a_penns_creek_stream_report.htm

Today woud be a perfect Sulphur day

They are starting to see GD's at Glenn Irons!

PaulG

PaulG wrote:
They are starting to see GD's at Glenn Irons!

PaulG

Ps, Anyone planning on heading to Penns for the hatch?

Not sure what I want to do. Im not a big fan of the GD hatch, I do enjoy seeing the circus that goes with it. I may go up for a couple of days, although I hate to miss the fishing around here, streams are fishing well right now!

What to do!!

PaulG

pcray1231 wrote:
ryguy,

You also got Hexes out there. Look a lot like a Green Drake. I know they're heavy off the Allegheny and some tribs, even in downtown Pittsburgh!

I used to live right by the Beaver River and saw a few hexes one day walking around the neighborhood. They were HUGE. Didn't know what they were till I asked on here. If only they were on the local trout streams too. I don't do much river fishing due to it being intimidating, and interfering with my trout fishing, but I sometimes get down there to catch some stripers and walleye. I'll take my 8wt down there one day and toss some big hexes to see what I can hook into. Never know on the river.

I am heading back up tomorrow after work for the weekend. If anyone else is heading up and wants to get together let me know. I can ride my bike downstream from poe paddy all the way to cherry run in no time at all.

Caught trout today on drake bead head nymphs above glen iron.

Been catching trout on #8 GDs for 3 days now, had a white fish come up for one too. I'll be out pretty much all day and all night until Sunday, maybe I'll see someone out there?

Also, first post.

Back