HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Got skunked at Ridley yesterday
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
Wmass, I don't believe I've ever tried scuds at Valley. Scuds normally are pretty good in limestoners, but I also think they are usually associated with a lot of vegetation, and since Valley doesn't seem to have much vegetation in it, I'm not sure about scuds there. That's why I was asking if you ever used them there, was wondering if I should try them. I guess the only way to find out is to try them!

Wulff,

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the cress is home to the sow bug or cress bug. (a flat potatobug looking crustacian) where the scud is a small shrimp looking crustacian.

Although one finds both in water with cress because of the consistant temperatures, scuds do not need cress to exist.

My experience is the scuds appearance on Codorus Creek below the dam. There are cress beds here and there (pretty far apart) but the scuds are in the riffles and stone areas.

If anyone else knows more about these little buggers, let us know..

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/3/26 21:01

I try try to fish Valley 3-4 times a month and can usually get away with 3-5 fish a day. I don't wear cammo, but I just use common sence and stalkers mentality when aproching fish. I have lots of luck with grey scuds, SW worms and zebra midges.

I see a lot of anglers there which complain about not catching anything, and when I say that I got 4 in one hole in an hour, they look at me totally baffled. From observing the people that get skunked, it appears that they don't change up their rigs and presentation approch when something isn't working. I watched a guy once throw a BH hares ear through a nice hole which I catch fish 75% of the time about 50 times and not catch a thing. Had he tried to change up his nymphs and weight every couple casts he probably would have gotten one of the 12" browns that hang out down there.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 3:37

Good advice on Valley on here. Listen to the dude. he speaks wisdom. Ever have any luck beneath the little dam there? Or along that concrete wall?

Posted on: 2007/3/27 14:44

From Bozeman
Scuds....

I'm not gonna lie. I know absolutely nothing about them. I don't know if they are in the waters I fish... I don't know what size to fish them in. I don't know how to fish them. I know nothing other than a few simple patterns.

Are they common in most waterways? what size is good for valley?

All a quick and dirty google search returns is a bunch of ballistics info for missiles.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 15:13

Quote:

rckrego wrote:
Good advice on Valley on here. Listen to the dude. he speaks wisdom. Ever have any luck beneath the little dam there? Or along that concrete wall?

I have had luck along the rock/concrete wall that borders the road. A good technique in that area is to either throw your fly at the wall and let it bounce off to get it close OR to throw your fly into the small rifle that is there and then let it drift into the pool. I find dry flies work well in that area at times, but most of my luck has been with Copper Johns under a strike indicator. I have caught a few nice browns there and one brook trout (I swear it was a brookie).

Posted on: 2007/3/27 15:28

The only dam I know of there is downstream of the covered bridge and about 300 yards upstream of 23, is that what your talking about? If so, I've fished around that area once and got several sunfish and one 8" trout. I think from the dam to 23 there aren't many fish, but there are some nice looking runs I've been meaning to check out downstream of 23.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 16:41

From Delaware Co.
I will be out ther tomorrow and I'm going to try some the stuff you guys talked about and let you guys know how I do....

Posted on: 2007/3/27 16:46

Wmass... thanks. I was trying that exact technique, but I think I had the wrong flies, plus a novice with me who chose to wear red and thump around like we were at a rock concert. have you fished the pool above the riffle section leading to the wall? last time I was there saw a guy take 3 out of there on CJ's before the alarm pheromone put the fish down.

Dude, below 23 there are some nice runs. An earlier post called this section junk. I dunno. Haven't fished that area enough to say. But, I can say that if I were a trout, I would hang out in the runs and pools on a couple of those bends.

Just below that dam, a buddy of mine caught a shad fry. I think. it sure looked like some sort of herring. Had a blue back, big scales, etc. Wish I had a picture.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 11:23

From delco
i was at ridley today and didnt catch a damn thing, while the guy next to me tore it up (absolutely killing 'em). i tried nymphs upon nymphs, wets and dries, i missed a few that i should have had but in the end, nothing. all the while this guy next to me was one after another. i finally had an oppertunity to talk to him. midges, midges, midges,(tiny) ill never be without again.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 22:30

From delco
ALSO.... UNION CARPENTER LOOKING FOR WORK (right here)

Posted on: 2007/3/28 22:32

Unless, I see some caddis hatching, I mainly fish midges, size 22-26 at Ridley. If I want to drive myself and the fish crazy, I'll drift and then strip baitfish patterns, caught a 12 inch largemouth last year by the bridge on one.
On Valley I stay within the park, fishing along 252. I usually pick up something, may not land them and but I'm getting some action. Biggest I've caught in that stretch is 16 inches on opening day two years ago. I've lost a couple that pushed 20 inches. Haven't fished the dam area but I keep hearing rumors of big browns coming up from the Schuylkill to spawn.
rckrego that could have been a shad. They've been stocking fingerlings in the river for the last several years in hopes of reviving the shad run once the fish ladders are built and working right and the other dams removed. I know they catch them below Flatrock. Someone told me that they counted 600 shad coming up the fish ladder at Fairmount Dam last year.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 22:51

mnem.......

Do you constantly change your weight as well as your flies? Sometimes when the water is cold, trout will meander laterally quite a bit to pick up a nymph, but will not even look twice at one thats floating 3 inches above its head. I've had many instances when I'll throw almost 20 casts in one hole, constantly changing weight the whole time, and end up hooking 3 fish immediately once I get the weight exactly right, without changing nymphs at all.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 23:55

From Delaware Co.
I fished Valley on Wed and Thursday and did ok I guess .On Wed I seen alot of rises to midges at some of the bigger holes there was groups of ten or more fish rising so I tried every midge pattern I had with no luck .. After I was about to give up on the dry fly fishing my friends Lester and Tom showed up and Lester hooked up on his 4th cast on a griffiths knat size 24, but he was using a 8x tippet and I don't carry anything lower than 7x. I tried for about 15 more minutes after that with no success.So I tied on a beadhead pheasant tail size 16 wieghted it down with a bb size splitshot and stard fishing the riffels above the big tree before the turnpike and caught 2 fish in 10 minutes. I would of fished longer but I had a dinner date that I couldn't miss. On Thurs I fished the riffle bellow the big tree and caught one and lost 2 on a tungestun pheasant tail. I didn't see any rises but the wind was killing me with my dead drift , with pretty big gusts that were pulling my line off the water so I packed in after an hour..

Posted on: 2007/3/30 16:35

From delco
the dude,
ive heard that before and thats something i gotta start doing more of. thanks for the fead back.

Posted on: 2007/3/30 19:36

frederick... swith to fluorocarbon. you never need anything less than 6x. 1x fluorocarbon is as visible as 5x mono, for nymphing this is awesome. Sucks for dry fly though cuz the fluoro sinks.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 15:57

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com