Good Fishing Dogs

thedude1534

thedude1534

The post by Squaretail was the motivation for this....

I've been wanting to get a dog for the last few years, but due to the fact that I was living in apartments and moving a lot I didn't. I still have an apartment, but Ive been recently l told by a dog trainer that the size of your apartment doesn't matter so long as they are relatively calm (so not a puppy) and you exersize them everyday.

That being said I would also like a dog to take with me fishing, hiking, rock climbing, etc. Does anyone have any tips as to what to look for in a dog that will not only be a good fishing buddy, but could also deal with living in an apartment (at least for the time being).

Thanks,

Honestly, I would go to the animal shelter and take a few for walks. You can get a real feel for their demeanor after a 20 minute walk. The shelter near my hometown had a large field next to it, as well as some woods. We got a great dog there after seeing how calm and attentive she was when walking... even past rabbits and squirrels. She was a mutt, primarily lab/shep.

I'll miss her.

I have a mini dachshund now, and he's OK to take out there. I wish I would've been there to spend more time with him, because he got a little hard to handle for me after I left for college.

I would also recomend going to the local shelter. Only problem is you never know what a dog is going to do around water. My labs are great in the woods and on hikes but impossible to fish with. Just cant keep them out of the water. I really wish it was possible to take them with me. The black lab is 4 now and acts like hes 1 when he sees water. My parents have a small stream on their property and he runs up and down like a maniac.

Mixed breeds are usually easier to train and are usually a little better tempered. As far as breeds that are good for the outdoors I would stay away from the herding breeds. Very smart and trainable but can't resist messin with other animals. I met a man on the Little J once who had a German Shorthair Pointer with him and that dog was wonderful. I am not too familier with the breed but that dog stayed on the mans left out of the way yet close enough to pet.

Like jayL said, just go to shelter and spend some time with the dogs.

When I was 2 years old, we went to a shelter and brought back what turned out to be the best damn dogs I ever had. Sisters, collie and cocker spaniel mix. Over the years, the slutty one had three litters and we ended up keeping one from each litter as she and the old maid aged. Usually the runt. They were the next best three dogs I've ever known.

Its the best way to go. Some have already had shots. Many come from from very kind former owners who could just no longer take care of them or relocated or something else...I've known many people who spend bug bucks on pure breads and have had a lot of problems (in my totally uneducated opinion due to interbreeding and growing up generation after generation being pampered.)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with mutt. I once had a mutt when I lived in Idaho and she was a great fishing buddy. She would sit on the bank and watch. That's it. She would move when I did and she'd just hang out. Sometimes she'd bark when I'd get a hook up. It was great. The only thing wrong was she look A LOT like a coyote and I was always afraid some one was going to shoot her.

Do the shelter thing.

As mattd said

ONE THAT STAYS OUT OF THE WATER, when told.

There have been several occassion when I have been in the stream fishing only to receive a friendly greeting from dogs whose owners are too busy fishing. I do NOT blame the dog, the blame for this behavior is strictly on the owner for either inproper training and/or being inattentive. My dog goes into the woods or to the stream often, but not when I am fishing! I get wrapped up in the fishing and do not pay attention to the dog, so for the dog's safety and that no other person's day is potentially ruined she stays home when I am fishing.

I do agree that mixed breeds are often more even tempered and easily trained. I have a beagle/cocker mix and she has a great attitude, in fact she is curled up on the chair next to me here at my office. Training is up to the owner, it is a real responsibilty that must be taken seriously for the safety of the dog and the people around it.

Get this. I have a lab/rottie mixed named Hunter that is scared to death of the water. He'll only go in if I'm in and he will only stand right beside me and will not move.

l_97a4b8fd3dc09785da96b72d5de1fc8c.jpg

I live in a house in the downstairs appartment along with 3 other people so space can be kind of hard to come by. My springer spaniel though behaves well and is usually calm if I get him out to run once a week. Springers are great dogs being that they are well mannered and usually calm. Mine loves to go fishin with me and loves to go hunting. Mutts can be great dogs as well but pure breeds can be great as well as long as you choose your dog carefully.

If you want a pure reed, talk to a breeder about an adult dog. Breeders often keep dogs, then later decide not to breed them because they don't conform to the breed standard in some way. This is a good way to get a well-cared for dog without going through puppyhood.

Go to a shelter. Too many dogs out there looking for homes. I recommend getting a larger dog for the apartment. I have a dane / boxer mix that hits the couch when inside. Just make sure you are ready. My dogs are more work than my three year old. 2 walks a day every day. If I am unable, it is doggie day care. Additionally remember the added costs. It costs us 80 bucks a day to kennel both dogs when we travel. ( they charge extra because of the size ). Food alone cost me 800 bucks a year.

Dude;
As a dog breeder, (West Highland Whites and Cairn Terriers), for the past 23 years, your post, obviously caught my eye!
No, I'm not going to try and sell you one of my dogs, don't worry!
In fact, I agree with all the posts, made, that suggest you try your local pound first, for a companion and new family member.
The only thing I'd caution you,on, about going the "pound route" is to be VERY careful of the mixed breeds you may find. I say this, sort of in the opposite form, when people mention "With a mix, you get a lot of great traits from each breed in the mix!".
This is "somewhat true", but not always, but I'm not going to get into "dog breeding genetics" here, of course!
But, another thing to take into consideration, very, very, closely is..... "A mixed breed dog, while having the good traits from both sides of its ancestry, also probably has, all the HEALTH problems of its ancestry as well".
I'm not speaking of topical health problems, because almost all the decent shelters vaccinate, worm and flea treat their animals before allowing adoption. I mean the long term health problems, like Parvo, hip and joint problems, etc.
Yes, I know, that people adopt from shelters and then; "have the greatest dog on earth for 109 years", and that's usually true. But, in recent years, canines have become such a huge part of our culture and everyday life,that dog breeding, or lack thereof, done carelessly has really changed what was true just a few years ago.
Whoever heard of "Doggy Park", 20 years ago? "Labradoodles", which are merely a mix breed, sell for upwards of $1,500.00 and higher!?
Anyway, I'm sorry, this post is too long as it is, but the decision you're about to make, don't forget, can last for the next 15-18 years, too! Just "be careful" and do LOTS of research on any dog you may consider. The only "for sure thing" I'll recommend is to above all, stay AWAY from pet stores, when choosing your new family member!

flybinder,
first let me say I am not arguing with you as much as I am asking you to fill in some blanks for me. And at the risk of taking this thread off course, slightly. I have lots of friends who bought Rottweilers, Labs, Bulldogs...etc. More than one Rott had heart trouble and had to be put down, both Bulldogs (English) died after only a few years, and almost every Lab I've ever know, at some point developed hip problems. I've seen mutts go down hill fast too but usually at older ages and all at once. As someone who is far more an expert on this, why does this seem to be the case?

Let me also say (confess) that as someone who has had dogs his whole life when we got our family pet a few years ago we got a cat. :oops: Mostly because we're away enough that i don;t think it would be fair to a dog to leave it alone that much.

I'll second the votes for going to the pound and getting a mutt. I think mixed breed dogs are healthier (and smarter) than purebreds. Having said that, I currently own a purebred that loves to fish. JayL: it's a mini dachsund that wound up with me in a family transfer. He had never been around water until 8 years old and now just loves fishing! Benny, The Incredible Fly Fishing Weiner Dog gets out with me every chance I get. The winter months are too cold for him but he's game most of the year. Get one of those retractable leashes and snap it to your belt. With this setup when the water is warm I'll let Benny swim around while I cast. If you'd like to see Benny's exploits check the photo section of this website and you can see for yourself his fly fishing prowess :-D .

Fishidiot,

I love those pictures of your little doxie. I forgot who it was that had one, so I made no mention. Mine is a longhair, so he makes quite a mess when wet, but I'll have to try to get him out there again. He's older now, and might be a bit better about it.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

I planned on getting one from a shelter all along, but I just wanted to know if there were any specific traits to look for. I will definitely know some things to try to spot now....

I went to a local shelter a few weeks ago, and felt like I was treated very poorly. The second they heard that I was a student they immediately dismissed me. I can somewhat understand that they would be weary of undergraduates, but I'm a 25 year old graduate student who doesn't sleep till noon everyday and spend all weekend vomiting. My neighbor (who is a dog trainer) actually told me that its harder to adopt a dog from that place than adopt a child, and that they have a reputation for being snotty, which made me feel a little better.

I'm going to check out that shelter a few more times, and a few others in the area, but all and all I'm going to take it very slow and wait till the one comes along which seems like a great match for me and my lifestyle.

Tryout petfinder.com , I have been on there recently looking for a beagle pup of my own once one of my families beagles goes to rabbit heaven. It is a nice site that allows you to search by breed, age, and zip code.

Also worth looking into if you want a pure breed are some of the various rescue websites. I've seen them for springer spaniels and also for greyhounds. I'm sure that there are sites for other breeds as well. Nothing wrong with a mixed breed either, just throwing out more food for thought.

Tomgamber:
You're right on the money, with your questions and comments! And, as I said in my first post, "I didn't want to clog the whole thread with "canine genetics", but the dog breeds you mentioned, are the exact reason for such serious problems in the canine world today, with health issues.
Namely, the dogs you listed, also are dogs that are some of this country's MOST popular and sought after breeds. You could have finished the list, by adding in the Golden Retriever!
Because the listed breeds ARE so popular, and yet are the same ones showing so many signs, now, of serious health problems, goes hand in hand. Namely and very sadly to say........ when a breed's popularity, exceeds the dogs available, way too many "unscrupulous breeders, back yard breeders and even first time breeders, become plain old, "greedy" and start such practices as "back breeding" and "side breeding". (Father to daughter and brother to sister).
Both of these practices usually have the same, exact results, as "human breeding, done to close to the bone", so to speak.
"Dobbies", one of the finest dog breeds there are for having around children, years ago, were in such high demand that breeders of course, stared to churn them out any way they could and got top dollars for their results. Unfortunately, today, a typical Dobbie has a life span of about 5 years, they're "genetic structure" has been so polluted.
The wonderful, "Golden", USED to be a dog that exceeded 18 years in age and 20 wasn't that uncommon. Today, of course, if you get 10 years, from a Golden, before it it so crippled up, you have to put it down and out of its misery,you're lucky.
Nothing has ruined the world's canine's health, more, that poor breeding practices.
Pet stores, are one of the biggest reasons for this increase in poor, canine, health due to the "puppy mills" that supply them.

I caught 2 fish yesturday while my lab was swimming in the same spot. he doesnt seem to bother the fish...had one in 8 inches of water not 3 feet from the dog too. he chased the fly but wouldnt take..if rocky sees the fish hell get them too..

Dude,

Since you live in State College, I am assuming you went to PSPCA Centre Hall. Try the Clearfield SPCA in Philipsburg, I got one of my dogs there. Also try PAWS, being in the "business" I have had great relationships with all shelters as well as rescues. As far as an apartment dog goes, I would steer clear of the sporting breeds as they tend to be more hyper, crazy, etc.. I lived in an apartment in Bellefonte where I had my Weimaraners and due to the fact that I had woods to run them in they were fine. If you live near Toftrees you can take him/her out to the gamelands and run. If you plan on taking the dog fishing I would get a medium size breed, smaller dogs may end up being fishbait. Try looking on petfinder.com as most shelters in the area have dogs listed on there. If you find a specific dog you would like PM and I can probably find one for you. Below are my two.

Attachments

• 612819076_m[1].jpg
    612819076_m[1].jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
Jack Russel - highly trainable, super smart, loving being outside no matter what the temperature, understand whats going on when fishing (he actually watches my indicators and when it goes down he knows fish on), trained him to stay out of the water, I never go without anymore. Never need a leash and always listens. As puppies you have to work with 'em but they learn quick. I have many more pics if interested.

Attachments

• Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 4
Back