Goldfish on a fly?

D

dubthethorax

So there's a pretty crappy small lake near my work that's stocked with trout and loaded with small to average sized carp. Don't really care about the trout, but Ive been sight fishing it on my lunch break and banging up some carp in the 10-15 inch range in the shallows, which is fun on a 3 weight. There's a drainage that comes out from the dam and there's a small puddle in there filled with small carp, suckers, a few stockies that made it down the pipes, and a pair of goldfish probably a foot long.

These aren't golden carp, or koi or whatever, they are just straight up goldfish. I've never caught one and decided to chase after them. I felt like an idiot roll casting into this little drainage hole that's about 12 feet wide, but I just wanted to try to catch one. Dries...no luck...eggs...nada...nymphs...nope..wet flies...ok...maybe a look.

So, yeah...what the heck can I use to get one of these? If I got one, I'd probably release it back into the main lake so it has a chance to make it before this little pool dries up. Do you treat them just like a carp? Do I try a pellet fly?

goldfish are carp ! just in a can, tank, bowl. they will hit flies. try midges near the surface.

Bread fly will work. 16 dry fly hook with a small piece of white sponge cut to shape.

spun deer hair trimmed to shape will work for bread fly too..

Back