Gifts For Landowners

NickR

NickR

Hello all,

Just need a little bit of helpful advice here. Perhaps some of you folks who might be a little more familiar with Menonites or may even be Menonite yourself and could chime in. I have been fishing on some Menonite farms as of late and while the properties I am fishing are free of posted signs and everyone I ask tells me they do not have a problem with me fishing their property I still get the feeling that I am not really welcome. Because when I ask simple questions, the response is usually monotone, short and not really that warm.

On our way upstream we noticed two young Menonite kids fishing... I went over to talk to them and asked them how they were doing. We traded fishing tips and they told us that we were fine to fish above them. They also told us that they do not live on the property nor do they live close by. All is well, so far.

Next thing you know a Menonite fellow follow comes walking upstream while we were fishing. He had a fishing pole and stopped to watch us for a bit so I struck up some conversation with him. I don't think I ever saw him cast a line. He asked us if we were locals... I told him I live about twenty minutes away and he had no clue where my town was... local has a whole new meaning in Menonite country. He said that we were okay to fish where we were fishing. Okay so were cool right?

Next thing you know, the two young Menonite kids come paddling a dingy upstream banging the oars against the side of the boat making all kinds of commotion... three thoughts run through my head... 1. Why are they fishing from a boat when they could fish from the bank much easier? 2. Did somebody tell them to come paddling upstream in the boat to put down the fish? 3. Am I reading into this too much? We remained friendly with the kids and told them to have a great day and wished them luck with their fishing.

Well after the young Menonite kids put down every fish in a two hundred mile stretch of water we decided to leave we noticed the gentleman we spoke with earlier standing on some high ground still watching us... he then proceeded to act as if he was doing something else and not really watching us when we noticed him watching us. Then when we were getting in the car out on the main road he came out to the road and pretended to be looking out over the bridge that ran over the creek. Again, trying to be sly but so obvious it wasn't even funny... still watching us.

We were definitely being watched. Why? Perhaps I could provide some kind of gift for them allowing us to fish on their property. What would be a good gift to show appreciation for allowing us to fish on their property? I don't think a fruit basket is going to cut it as they have the ability to grow thousands of pounds of fruits and vegetables on their farm. I would like to be welcomed if I want to return to fish there again. Thanks folks!

well, flies if they were flinging and maybe bait if they weren't? idk maybe just try to be extra friendly and give them something to say hey he gave this to me to use? idk that's a strange story right there

They belong to a religous sect that does not nessesaryily like out siders. you will be watched every time, they do not trust outsiders. Its just their way.

Well, kind of...I mean, that's not always the case. I grew up fishing on a lot of Amish and Menno farms and this behavior is DEFINITELY strange.

Being monotone and short with answers, yeah that can just be the infamous "mennonite warmth" ;-) I wouldn't read too much into that. I grew up in a PA Dutch family with one side of my grandmother's family being conservative mennonite. I also worked for a Mennonite publishing house for a while, and went to a Mennonite church in my early 20s for several years, so this "stereotype" is definitely based on first hand experience.

The other behavior, on the other hand, is quite strange. Especially if you had permission to fish their land.

I don't know, maybe he was a cousin from the next farm over? There are some strange people out in these parts, especially me. I would have watched me too!

Let me be your Lancaster county representative. You can send any gifts you feel you owe to me and I will deliver them in the appropriate manner (and you definitely do owe them). The Mennonites like flies, so if you could tie me...I mean them...up about a dozen sculpins, trikes, and valdi worms that would probably appease them.

You crack me up! 2 things:

1) your reading into things, they will tell you if you are not welcomed. The kids were being nosey and just kids. Yeah it sucks they put fish down but they don't have the intranets and they don't know about the new rage in fly fishing.

2) welcome to Lancaster...we're watching you!

It didn't even remotely bother me that the kids came upstream in a boat... I thought it was kind of comical to see them coming upstream in a dingy with surf rods. Good stuff.

Nick,

I totally agree with TR's above post. These folks (both adults and kids are very curious). The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree you know! My experience with them is that the just don't communicate real well with folks that are not their own. I wouldn't take any of it personally. Don't know what to tell you to get them as a gift or how well it would even be received. Maybe, a Cabelas gift card. Laugh if you want but I am being serious - they will find a way there.

Your instinct to appease them with a gift is admirable. I recommend an IPhone as the epitome of all they abhor. On second thought, a nice white blouse or black jacket would be more appreciated. I admire these folks.

They don't want New Jersey in their back yard, either.

Actually my friend and I were joking and thought we should get them a gift card to Best Buy... lol. Gfen, I must really give off that Jersey vibe huh? Haha. For the record I love New Jersey but am quick to point out that I never lived there. Quick to point that out quickly because obviously I love New Jersey that much!

DC410,

I gather what you say is very true... I don't take it personal at all but it is eye opening to me to be the outsider or the one who is different. An obvious lesson can be learned here. Somebody should tell these Menonites to BEWARE OF GREEKS BEARING GIFTS.

None of them told you to squeal like a pig did they? If not, you're OK!

My guess is like the others. You are reading to much into it. He was watching because he was curious to see what you were doing and wanted to see if your method was better or if he could learn something. Break the ice, make em laugh, give them a shoo fly pie made by you.

We have a mennonite feller that lives along the crik down our way. When walking up along the rail bed he approached and said we we should stay closer to the creek. And then said since there is nothing I can do about you fishing, cuz the state owns the water.

He was a new landowner and obviously doesn't understand navigablilty laws in PA. We said sorry and moved toward the creek.

Could be these folk don't want you there either but don;t realize they have the right to throw you out.

If you don't KNOW the people, don't go walking up onto their property, where they LIVE. And especially don't do that, then start talking to their kids, when their kids are playing unsupervised by adults.

Regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or culture, the reaction to that is going to be wariness, suspicion etc.

Many people do get permission to fish and hunt on farms. But these are people who KNOW the landowners. That have some relationship.

It has to do with building friendship, trust, respect etc. These things are universal, not specific to one group.

Troutbert,

I should have made it a little bit more clear that we had permission to be there. I thought I was clear about that, maybe not. I also thought getting the family a gift for allowing me on their property would show my gratitude... you seemed to have overlooked that too? I also thought getting them some kind of gift would help me to build a relationship with them... being kind and generous is not a universal trait and I thought some kind of a gift would be a good gesture. I certainly don't have any Amish or traditional Menonite friends... but I would like some and would certainly like to KNOW some. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the topic at hand... any suggestions for a gift would be greatly appreciated.

A gas card. Mennonites drive right? I am being serious

It didn't say in the OP that you had been given permission to fish there. So, I didn't overlook that. It wasn't stated.

At that particular property, I would just stay away. The situation seems to have gone pretty negative. I don't think a gift is going to help there.

Regarding getting access on other farms, if any of these farmer sell things, like vegetables and eggs, etc. you could become a regular customer. Bring your wife and kids along, if any. And just get to know them. After awhile, if it seems like you're getting to be friends, then ask about fishing.

It's mostly about getting to know the people, getting to be friends, building trust. Not so much about gifts.

But also keep in mind that even if you do everything right, there are many landowners who just like privacy, and aren't going to be enthusiastic about people other than relatives and very close friends fishing near their home.

I think all these things are universal, not specific to any group.

Troutbert,

Are you really going to make me quote myself?

"I have been fishing on some Menonite farms as of late and while the properties I am fishing are FREE OF POSTED SIGNS AND EVERYONE I ASK TELLS ME THEY DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME FISHING THEIR PROPERTY I still get the feeling that I am not really welcome."

But yes, perhaps I should stay away from a navigable waterway without posted signs. Someone else over the phone today told me that they were probably just really interested because we were fly fishing and the guy saw us catch a big fish... maybe that is why he was watching? Why do you feel the need to take the thread in such a negative direction?

I am going to get them a Gift Card somewhere and tie them up some flies. I am sure they will appreciate it.

Back