Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Gifts For Landowners

If you don't KNOW the people, don't go walking up onto their property, where they LIVE. And especially don't do that, then start talking to their kids, when their kids are playing unsupervised by adults.

Regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, or culture, the reaction to that is going to be wariness, suspicion etc.

Many people do get permission to fish and hunt on farms. But these are people who KNOW the landowners. That have some relationship.

It has to do with building friendship, trust, respect etc. These things are universal, not specific to one group.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:10

Edited by troutbert on 2013/8/5 17:28:36
Edited by troutbert on 2013/8/5 17:30:05

From Parkesburg
Troutbert,

I should have made it a little bit more clear that we had permission to be there. I thought I was clear about that, maybe not. I also thought getting the family a gift for allowing me on their property would show my gratitude... you seemed to have overlooked that too? I also thought getting them some kind of gift would help me to build a relationship with them... being kind and generous is not a universal trait and I thought some kind of a gift would be a good gesture. I certainly don't have any Amish or traditional Menonite friends... but I would like some and would certainly like to KNOW some. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the topic at hand... any suggestions for a gift would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:47

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
A gas card. Mennonites drive right? I am being serious

Posted on: 2013/8/5 17:56

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

It didn't say in the OP that you had been given permission to fish there. So, I didn't overlook that. It wasn't stated.

At that particular property, I would just stay away. The situation seems to have gone pretty negative. I don't think a gift is going to help there.

Regarding getting access on other farms, if any of these farmer sell things, like vegetables and eggs, etc. you could become a regular customer. Bring your wife and kids along, if any. And just get to know them. After awhile, if it seems like you're getting to be friends, then ask about fishing.

It's mostly about getting to know the people, getting to be friends, building trust. Not so much about gifts.

But also keep in mind that even if you do everything right, there are many landowners who just like privacy, and aren't going to be enthusiastic about people other than relatives and very close friends fishing near their home.

I think all these things are universal, not specific to any group.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 18:01

From Parkesburg
Troutbert,

Are you really going to make me quote myself?

"I have been fishing on some Menonite farms as of late and while the properties I am fishing are FREE OF POSTED SIGNS AND EVERYONE I ASK TELLS ME THEY DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME FISHING THEIR PROPERTY I still get the feeling that I am not really welcome."

But yes, perhaps I should stay away from a navigable waterway without posted signs. Someone else over the phone today told me that they were probably just really interested because we were fly fishing and the guy saw us catch a big fish... maybe that is why he was watching? Why do you feel the need to take the thread in such a negative direction?

I am going to get them a Gift Card somewhere and tie them up some flies. I am sure they will appreciate it.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 18:12

Edited by NickR on 2013/8/5 18:41:15
Edited by NickR on 2013/8/5 18:42:29

From SEPA
Quote:

NickR wrote:
Gfen, I must really give off that Jersey vibe huh?

They cannot help it they've never seen a man fish in a track suit, and generally speaking, they don't care for all those gold chains.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:17

From Southeastern Pa
JackM - your post made me cry laughing... blouse and black vest!!! that vass goot!

Caveman - same thing about the shoo-fly pie except I have had Nicks' cooking and it aint bad...he IS greek!

Mo - it is funny how they don't understand things like that but then again you might make friend and gain some private water to yourself by explaining it ... then again you are going to lose a lot of friends if your TU chapter finds out who told em! LOL JK

Troutbert - I think you are "projecting" a little here brother. Meno's and AIMish love feeshin as much as the rest of us and if they didn't want ol' nick fishin they'd let him know. I have permission from several local farmers to fish their wild trout streams and the best way I have found to reach out is to be up-front with your intentions. tell them you are there to fish. Everyone appreciates honesty and if you make it clear you respect their land they will respect you. trying to buy your way in isn't a guarantee although it is a pretty amish way to do things.

going along with the concept of honesty there is property here in lancaster many are familiar with and even though the property owner is very open to the public with his land I have tried on several occasions to offer him help around the farm throughout the year and every christmas we give them a starbucks gift card. it's not much but it really made a good impression and we have a great relationship.

just a thought, gifts can come in many forms. you buy something or offer your help for a half day or so. either way, letting landowners know they and their land are appreciated is always good.

ok off my soap-box

by the way: I abhor amish and Mennonite youth when playing hockey but that is for the OT forum...

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:31

From Southeastern Pa
I just read that G. ROFL!!!

again Nick, I'll deliver the flies and GC to them...trust me

Kannst Du Flicka Mika?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:31

From Chester County
I have neighbors who are strict Mennonite. They are the best neighbors I've ever had, and I fish on their pond. As a gift, something simple like brownies or cookies for a holiday go a long way. I find that they, and their children are very curious about fly fishing. However being cold and distant doesn't seem like the Mennonite people in my experience. They are probably just curious. You're a stranger fishing their pond waving a strange type of fishing rod they've never seen before. That's my opinion on the subject.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 22:56

From Southeastern Pa
how to confuse a Mennonite:

offer him a free beer

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:02

From Da 'Berg, PA
A stringer of trout or bass left on the porch with a note is the traditional gift isn't it ?

Or some baked goods from your wife.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 23:02

From South central PA
In all honesty, next time you go there talk to him first and offer to help him out on the farm in some way in return for him lettin g you fish. Spending an evening helping him put hay away or something like that would be as kind of a gesture as any. I can remember some people that used to hunt on our farm that would used to help us once in a while.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:54

From Lansdale
Nick,
In troutbert's defense, you stated you fish unposted navigable water. You don't say that you spoke to the landowner before fishing there. It could be misleading.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 6:09

From Mont Co, Pa
Just give him a bottle of whiskey and some good buds, you'll be golden after that.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 6:18

From Lititz/Huntingdon
I have not read al of the posts but, your reading way, way too much in to this. Pretty sure you said you were dealing with kids here.... Kids, c'mon. They are kids. Bang'n boat oars and one word answers ain't just limited to the Mennonite kids. As far as getting gifts.... What!?! Ask if you can fish. If they say yes, ask where it's best to park and say thank you. Pick up trash you find on your way and ask if they would like some cleaned ready to cook fish now and then... Gifts, c'mon... Read'n way tooo much into .... Kids.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 7:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com