Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Giant tiger trout in PA? Who'd a thunk it?

From Dauphin PA
Below are two photos of tigers caught here in PA. They were caught in a place that isn't stocked. Somebody may have bought and tossed them in there or they could be a result of natural spawning. I never knew they grew to such a huge size. I saw a photo of one that was around 10 pounds taken by a walleye fisherman last spring. May have to start an Tiger over 20" club.

Third photo may be the father of the tigers....geez those are some big fish.

Attach file:

jpg  4_24F[1].jpg (26.67 KB)
5163_515f1e13d04f2.jpg 631X247 px

jpg  4_29F[1].jpg (31.41 KB)
5163_515f1e2a78bee.jpg 668X248 px

jpg  5_3_07_a2[1].jpg (16.71 KB)
5163_515f1e5d62938.jpg 452X204 px

Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:56

Re: Giant tiger trout in PA? Who'd a thunk it?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I dunno if they're wild or not. But in general, tigers have "hybrid vigor", meaning they grow faster than non-hybrid fish. It's common in hybrids.

It looks like big water, and the reference to walley fishermen. That works two ways. First, it makes it somewhat less likely that they are wild. But by the same token, makes it more likely that they coulda taken advantage of their growth advantages.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 15:42

arE You Sure The Top Two Aren't Lake Trout OR Splake (Laker/Brook)? Not Saying You're Wrong, Just Asking.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:37

From Pittsburgh
Not only are large (20"+) trout attracted to Albatross, he has also landed a massive tiger. Hopefully he'll chime in and show his pics.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:42

From Gettysburg
The top two fish are definitely tigers although I seriously doubt they're wild fish.

This isn't actually that unusual. Trout stocked in ATWs and private club water routinely migrate out into larger river systems where they spend the colder months of the year. These fish could easily have come from the Delaware, Allegheny, or Susquehanna River from a tributary stocked by a private club. These rivers are all hit hard by walleye guys during the colder months and they get some nice trout.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:43

From Da 'Berg, PA
that bottom one is a brown i think. the coloration and shape suggest to me that its fresh out of the sea - is this river near the sea or tide ?

great fish.

perfect fins all three - impossible to know but, they don't look like stockies to me.

were they caught this spring ?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:26

From New Castle, PA
This thread has all the makings of a mountain lion sighting thread. Pics don't show anything to suggest this is actually PA. No stream/lake named so no one can dispute the "un-stocked" claims. Hell the last fish ain't even a tiger, and the first does sorta resemble some pics of splake I've seen.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:36

1 out of 3 is a tiger

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:37

Quote:
perfect fins all three - impossible to know but, they don't look like stockies to me.

You must have a different definition of perfect fins than me. Those fins are torn up. Not as bad as some stocked fish, but definitely not "perfect".

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:47

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Below are two photos of tigers caught here in PA.

Third photo may be the father of the tigers....geez those are some big fish.

Kray never said all three were tigers. Third one (a brown) could very well be a mommy or daddy. As for speculation one is a splake - wouldn't a splake have a forked tail?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 17:54

From Dauphin PA
the photos are from a website for a guide. he is licensed a guide in Pennsylvania only. I assure you they were caught in Pennsylvania. I'm by no means the guys best friend but I am familiar with him and know where he guides. Dave Weaver is the warmest.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:13

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
Quote:

You must have a different definition of perfect fins than me. Those fins are torn up. Not as bad as some stocked fish, but definitely not "perfect".

i meant tails. yeah is see the split fins but i assume thats from the fight and landing. if you look at the tails they don't look worn down.

anyhoo. i did some research and found that the last fish is definitely a sea run brown. i've seen evidence of others caught on the fly by walleye fishers on a central pa river.

and i know where too. probably not worth targeting them specifically, but hey what a by catch - that fish there would have been a PA State record. or any sea trout, the slot is vacant.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:15

From Dauphin PA
I believe the fish were taken over the past three years. none of them were caught by a mountain lion. I can't find a picture for the one that was caught last year but I did see a photo of it and it has to be a tiger closing in on the 10 pound mark. at any rate those are some pretty sweet route for a Bass . all were taken in the month of May for the month of October I just want to know where they go during the summer

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:23

From NE OH
I have personally stocked tiger trout that size in PA that were raised in a private hatchery in PA. No doubt in my mind those fish likely moved down out of that creek to larger water.

I don't know if those fish are wild, but I am saying there are tigers privately stocked that are that size in PA.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:38

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
CRAngler and I both caught this large Tiger that later was caught by a third angler in December 2011 and listed as the largest brook trout caught in PA in 2011.

I like to say I caught the state record brook trout, I just happened to catch it before it was a record...

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:38

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com