Geographically Off Topic - Tuscon

W

Will

Hello, all. In January, I will be accompanying my wife to a conference in Tuscon, AZ. I am wondering if there is any flyfishing worth the bother within no more than about two hours drive of Tuscon. I am aware of some options much farther north (Sedona and northward to Flagstaff, etc.) but have my doubts there is anything so far south. Never hurts to ask, however. Any thoughts appreciated. Tight lines.

Imagine having to travel that far and not get to fly fish a new water! Long time, Will. Merry Christmas!

As for your question, I got nuthin' just thought I'd say hello.

Thanks, Jack. I've been incredibly busy at work this year, even for me, which has prevented me from fishing (and being around here). The internet is a pretty amazing thing. Based on what I found it appears that there is one stream in the Santa Catalina Natural Area - about a half hour drive away from where I'm staying, that may or may not have a small wild trout population depending on whether or not they survived a forest fire earlier this decade. However, its a serious, probably multi-day hike down into the the thing, so I am definitely not headed there. Interestingly, Googling "trout" and "Santa Catalina" took me, among other places, right here, to a post by Jake (he of the leaky waders fame) about a hike up the mountain in that natural area. Small web. There are some lakes nearby, but I think I'll opt for hiking and sitting by the pool (being a non-golfer). Happy holidays to you and yours!

I have been interested in fishing in that area myself. I have a friend who lives outside of Tucson that I have been meaning to visit. I have heard of some Apache Trout fishing in the area of the White Mtns. From what I recall this area is somewhat North East of Tucson. Not sure how long of a drive, maybe 2-3hrs. I also heard that some of the area was greatly damaged by recent wildfires this past summer, and some areas may be closed to fishing.

I only know what I read on the internet, but it does appear that there is some interesting fishing potential in the White Mtns. That is a little far off for me to detour over there, but it wouldn't be too far if that were part of the purpose of your trip.

The White Mountains trout area is, like, 7 hours away. Not to be confused with any distance as the crow flies. A long and winding road up to and across the Mogollon Rim. And January is deep wintertime. Also, I do think that much of that area is still suffering from the effects of a massive forest fire around 9-10 years ago.

Oak Creek Canyon in Sedona is a better bet. Still around 4-5 hours away. Distances in the Sonoran Desert are lo-ong. It was quite a while since I lived there, but I do still suspect that the "last chance for gas" re: the outskirts of Tuscon and Casa Grande is still around 75 miles, with around another 30 miles just to get to the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Arizona. Don't leave sight of town without topped off tank, fluids checked, fully inflated spare tire and jack, trip itinerary registered with a friend, etc. + several gallons of water for each person. srsly.

And stay out of the gullies if it rains, and don't think you can ford any old puddle just because it's only a few feet across. That can be enough to bury ya.

Different rules there.

Back