Funds Requested!

S

schrec

A few days ago I officially became a half-centurian. So it seemed like a better time than any to reflect on my fly-fishing past and look ahead to my future. So far I'm pretty smug with what I've done, which is fishing practically every water in this great state, a few in other states like Tennessee, Florida, and Montana.

But I realized that unless I hit the lottery, funding further fishing dreams -- with two kids having yet to go to the prom, college, etc. -- will be impossible. So I plead to the generous members on this board. Help! PLEASE HELP FUND MY MID-LIFE CRISIS! Any donation you can possibly spare will be greatly appreciated. I will soon have a donation micro-site up and running to accept any and all contributions.

My needs are simple really. 1) A camp along a stretch of blue ribbon trout water, anywhere in the country. 2) A summer-long trip to Alaska. 3) A winter-long trip to the carribean to fish for bones and tarpon.

Any spare change will be greatly appreciated. (In leau of money I will also accept beer.)

Thank you generous posters of PAFF!

The rules of the Board prohibit advertising. I will send you my hackle pliers that I rarely use if that will help. Also, any fly in my box smaller than size #20 is yours for the asking, except the tricos generously shared with me by Lou M.

Thank You Jack,
However, hackle pliers are useless to someone who has no time to tie flies.... wait... my daughters might want them for a clip-on earing (or nosering.)

As far as the small flies go, I quit fishing midges years ago.
About the same time my eyesight started to go.
:-(

I think there is a glaucoma remedy that could put those hackle pliers to use....but then ya might forget to go fishin' Nevermind. :cool:

Negative, mo. He'll remember.

If he passes a sheetz on the way to the stream, though, it might be a bit of a problem.

"Negative, mo. He'll remember."

Ahhh.... remember what?

Maybe that's why I can never find my hackle pliers :-o

I can't send you any money, but you're welcome to come hang out with me at the municipal campground in Viola, WI and stay in my $30 7X9 Wenzel tent. It's a pretty good place to hang out from a fishing standpoint, probably 200 miles of high quality wild brown trout water within an hour's drive. None of it any bigger than Spring Creek at Lemont though. Sort of like a miniaturized Western experience without the mountains, all the tacky tourista stuff and the rich people wandering around in their angling accoutrements. Few more cow flops too. Far better access to a variety of the best water as well as to a variety of high quality cheese.

You'd have to sign a statement to the effect that you are not chronically flatulent and that you will keep me in Diet Dew and sandwich cream cookies. Well worth it, even if you lie about being flatulent....

Schrec:

Welcome to the half century club.
I'm 52, and still find it hard to believe that I made it this far - 50 just always sounded so old to me, and i had some real doubts I would ever get there.
Anyway, you can expect to be receiving very shortly, an invitation to join AARP - mine came within a week of my 50th birthday if I remember correctly. I was ready to promptly throw it in the trash, when my wife said not so fast! Those people get good discounts everywhere by flashing that membership card, and that I - (we) - should join. So, I now pack and AARP card.
And have used it quite a bit. The small membership fee is worth it, and I recommend you join!
During your next doctor visit, you will be probably be told to get your PSA checked, and have your colon scoped. Fun, fun,fun!
At least my fishing hasn't waned despite being an old timer now, - in fact this year has been one of my best seasons ever.
But I now need to wear 2X bifocals while fishing and tying flies!

I can't help you out with your quest. I'm ten years younger than you and I just recently completed my second adoption($$$). I also still have proms, college and other financial obligations ahead of me...

But if I see you on the stream, I'll always have enough in my pocket to buy you a beer! :)

Well it's not on blue ribbon water, but there is penty of that nearby. You can meet me at the camp that I belong to anytime. I warn you though there is no running water, no heat except for a wood/coal stove, an outhouse and it is somewhat remote. If you can stand being with me for a couple of days, you'll be ok.

Thanks guys,
Fifty ain't nifty, but at least it ain't sixty.

dryflyguy, I can't bring myself to join AARP yet. Maybe next year.
Hell, it took me 6 years to give in to bifocals.

Chaz and RLeeP, I might take you guys up on your invites, if you don't mind and ole fart like myself (Only when I drink beer -- which is pretty constant.) :pint:

Schrec,
You are always welcome at my camper/cabin at Hemlock Acres. I've got 7 years on you, but according to my wife, I still haven't grown up.

John

Schrec unfortunately while I appreciate your position, I must intervene. I am approaching 61 and have the same needs as you. I’m still working and that should not be the case. I have no money and that should not be the case. I still have two young ADULTS living at home and that should not be the case. I have Tim Murphy and Pad as fiends and that should not be the case. In lieu of all this, I suggest you forward whatever funds you receive to the newly formed organization, Our Lady Of Perpetual Fishing & Yuengling c/o Rolf. On a more serious note, get the colonoscopy and PSA. It’s not that bad and worth it. Oh yes…. I have a 4 person Eureka and I’ll be happy to set it up wherever you like.

I'd like to help but I need your tax dollars to keep allowing my Goverment grants, food stamps, wellfare checks, workmans comp claim, disability check, to help pay my lawyer who's filed a multi million dollar suit against a food chain for leaving a grape on the floor for me to slip on. I can't afford to pay the contractor for the 100 thousand dollar addition I'm putting on the house, of course he dosen't know this yet. The insurance bill for my porche is due, make sure you have under or uninsured coverage on your policy. I'd like to help but don't feel I can at this time.

You are welcome to come to philly and ogle women and get all stupid with us kids if it will make you feel younger. That goes for anyone. I can't provide a camper, but I know the city, the bars, and have a couch or three for ya to crash on.

"Oh yes…. I have a 4 person Eureka and I’ll be happy to set it up wherever you like."

Rolf,
I just peed myself laughing so hard. (Should be wearing Depends too, I guess.)

Hint=66 and retired beats the hell out of 50 and working.
Sell your mansion in Pa. and move to North east Florida where living is cheap,fishing good all year.
You might find spinning gear more practical for Reds,bass and other monsters but thats the only concession you need to make.
You want mountains?
The great Jacksonville dump is the best we can do.

I asked my wife about the retirement issue/ funds the other night. I am lucky as she is a CFP. Here is the basic formula.

Before you retire you need a nest egg and determine how much annual income you would comfortable with. Remember that you need to keep the nest egg in very very conservative investments, this is it your retired. So say you get yourself in some very stable bonds that return 4% a year.

Say you determined that 60k a year will get you by. You'll need to have a nest-egg of ($60,000/4) x 100, which is $1.5M...

If you draw $60K a year from $1.5M earning 4% you will have 1.5 million to give you kids to pay off their college loans.

Then you may become like Cain and wonder the Earth with a bamboo staff in your hand.

Don’t ask me how to get the 1.5 million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest” – Albert Einstein

bruno,
Using your formula -- or any other from financial professionals --
I figure I'll be able to retire at 85 (I kid you not). So to all the frivilous wasting of money I did in my younger years, I raise a toast and say, "Man, was I stupid." Then I continue practicing for my next career which will carry me into retirement by reciting,
"Hello, welcome to Wal-Mart, may I direct you somewhere?"

Back