Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 16 »

Re: From the minnow chaser thread - An ethics lesson
From Dallastown, PA
I said I don't think its unethical so long as you are not abusing the fish with big hooks. I also said I wouldn't bother doing so because its boring lift those little wigglers out of the water time and time again.

Little brookies are for children, just like bluegills are for children and old men. And bait too....for children and old men.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:11

From Lancaster County
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
To reduce this to its simplest terms, isn't the mere act of impaling a fish on a sharpened piece of steel and dragging it through the water for one's enjoyment "unethical" in the first place???

That's pretty much the conclusion I draw anytime debates start about whether a fish was properly landed or not, or a net was used, or it was played too long, or a fly was sized too big (or too small), or your hand wasn't wet enough while holding the fish, or the fish is touching a rock/grass/snow/space dust/whatever. A fish, searching for a prospective meal, that is displaced from its natural environment by another mammal, strictly for the sake of that mammal's enjoyment, could be construed as having been wronged, by that mammal's activities

Winter time is definitely setting in!

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:15

From Chester County
I was told by a very wise old fly-fisherman many years ago that "stocked fish and bait fishing are for kids and old men."

Brookies and bluegills were never mentioned.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:24

From Dallastown, PA
Ethics is directly related to abuse of a resource or model. In fishing, if you consider the resource you are using; brookie stream with sub legal fish the question becomes are you abusing the population or repeatedly and therefor intentionally hurting fish. Likely the population can support some incidental mortality form a few sub-legal fish hooked through the eye while fishing for larger trout. Making this catch the goal of the day is what is unethical. Sizing down and not hurting the fish is "more" ethical but not my cup of tea.

Targeting bass on redds is apparently unethical because there are laws to prevent it as it can damage populations. So you can't keep them that time of year or target them directly.

As to fish handling as WG and Salmonoid say there are gonna be bumps, and bruises along the way. Recognizing these shortcomings and understanding their consequences and altering behaviors is the determining factor for whether you are engaging in a few isolated incidents or being unethical.

To say fishing as a past time is unethical because it involves parts of or can result in unethical behavior is not a fair evaluation. Its an over the top, extremist viewpoint that displays the naivety of the accuser'

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I target 5" fish all the time.

I mean, don't get me wrong, even in the smallest streams I enjoy catching bigger fish, and do on occasion. But "big" is a matter of perspective, and you have to have a different perspective for every water.

I also enjoy going to the extreme headwaters, seeing how far up the fish go. I've fished streams beyond the point where they become intermittant (and not in a limestoner sort of way). And I do get into places where a 5" fish is respectable, and 7" is truly large.

As FI said, in these situations a 5" fish is not a youngster, it's a sexually mature fish. IMO there is no ethical problem whatsoever in targeting them.

I do agree that you shouldn't use huge streamers to do this and risk hurting the fish. 14-16 barbless dry flies work fine.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:32

From Chester County
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Ethics is directly related to abuse of a resource or model. In fishing, if you consider the resource you are using; brookie stream with sub legal fish the question becomes are you abusing the population or repeatedly and therefor intentionally hurting fish. Likely the population can support some incidental mortality form a few sub-legal fish hooked through the eye while fishing for larger trout. Making this catch the goal of the day is what is unethical. Sizing down and not hurting the fish is "more" ethical but not my cup of tea.

Targeting bass on redds is apparently unethical because there are laws to prevent it as it can damage populations. So you can't keep them that time of year or target them directly.

As to fish handling as WG and Salmonoid say there are gonna be bumps, and bruises along the way. Recognizing these shortcomings and understanding their consequences and altering behaviors is the determining factor for whether you are engaging in a few isolated incidents or being unethical.

To say fishing as a past time is unethical because it involves parts of or can result in unethical behavior is not a fair evaluation. Its an over the top, extremist viewpoint that displays the naivety of the accuser'

Fair enough. Agreed.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:37

From Dauphin
I enjoy the little wigglers if you will. On those streams you'll never see anyone else. Sure you could fish a stream that has in what mo says "man" fish. But you can guarantee everyone else will be there too.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:38

From Gamehendge
i agree with phishin. The little ones look prettier. i dont care about catching big fish. I dont really care about catching fish at all. I just like being on the stream. Call me old fashioned. Ill say it agian for those who dont get it. If your fishing for big fish and big fish only. YOUR MISSING THE POINT!!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/20 12:43

From Gamehendge
Catching 5" fish unethical? Really come on. You people i mean. It really is winter time now isnt it? I could care less what anyone says. Especially Chaz and Tim murphy. I will continue to taget fish that are smaller then 5" and enjoy it. Ill be catchin while you people are elbow to elbow. Looks like almost know one agrees with you Tim murphy. waaa waaaa waaaaaaa.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 12:50

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The only way I could agree with your post would think about injuring and killing a fish. If the possibility of this happening due to fishing in a population of fish where there aren't any legal fish would thus conclude breaking the laws (due to creeling the fish) and being "unethical". I understand that much and that much only.

However do we base fishing off of keeping fish? I'd bet that a good majority of people on this board are C&R fishermen or they at least do most of the time. Is fishing for enjoyment or for fare for our tables? If it's just for enjoyment then it is all completely unethical due to the possibility of killing a fish at any point and time let alone size. Then you're breaking your own ethics of C&R no matter the legality of keeping a fish within the size restrictions allowed by the state.

I rest MY case.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:31

From Gamehendge
a 20" trout is just a fragile as a 5" trout if handled improperly.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:36

From Lancaster
I truly enjoy the scenery, solitude, watching the seasons change, researching and exploring new streams, and the pure beauty of these native fish (large or small) on our many mountain freestoners. I keep a journal of my fishing trips and if I would graph the native Brookies by size in inches it forms a bell shaped curve. In 2012 the peak of the curve was between 6 and 7 inches. Some streams obviously have larger fish than others and I think this is mostly a factor of the habitat available to support larger fish in that particular drainage.. I never remember killing a native brook trout through my mishandling of the fish. I don't feel it is at all unethical to pursue and enjoy this great resource. I feel we are very fortunate in PA to have the opportunity.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:37

From Gamehendge
^^^^ look tim murphy another persone who disagrees with you

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:39

From South East pa
who cares, fish and have fun, this is why I rarely ever post on this place, because no matter what one says, someone will rip it apart. god forbid someone has a differing opinion than someone else. have a good one guys.

P.S.- if someone fishing a differing way is what you are worried about, then life must be pretty good, cause its really not a big deal.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:40

From Gamehendge
SNP-you said it "fish and have fun" yea some of people on this forum think there poop dont stink. And if you dont do it they way they do, then its wrong.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 13:47

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 16 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com