Freezer Packers and Meat Eaters

echuck66

echuck66

It's always bothered me the way some of the fly fishing community refers to people who keep some fish to eat.

For the most part, these folks are not really affecting any 'wild' or 'native' populations, so I'm not sure they deserve the derogatory terms that are thrown at them (mostly behind their backs).

But the thing that bothers me most about anglers who suppose themselves to be standing on the moral high ground is that those folks, for the most part, won't hesitate to shoot an animal when hunting. They certainly don't practice catch and release hunting (and yes, I believe there is such a thing... it's just done with a camera, not a gun).

As for myself, I release 'most' of what I catch. On occasion, I enjoy taking a few fish home to the family so they can enjoy the bounty of the day, or a brace of fish, as John Gierach might say, to enjoy for dinner at a campsite or cabin.

I have no problem with folks keeping fish for the table. I enjoy some trout about once a year. I stopped keeping and eating them when the fish comm. advisory came out. I release most of what I catch whether trout or other. I stock my freezer with venison when I can. There's a lot of wise guys on this forum who like to name call and shoot off their mouths online that's for sure.

I'm the same way. I release most of what I fish, but I do enjoy fresh fish on occasion, and I also enjoy smoking steelhead around the holidays.

I don't hunt, but if I did, I certainly would stock my freezer with some meat.

It's not just on this forum that folks sling those terms around, I've seen it all over the place and have even met a few people on the streams and lakes I fish that give me odd looks when they see me keeping a couple of fish to take home. For the record, bass are some very tasty fish and make great fish tacos.

I'm with you both. I suspect most if not All of the streams by me usually get far too warm by summer for a majority of trout to survive anyway. If they aren't going too survive, what it's the harm in taking some home for dinner? I catch and release more often than not, but to each their own.... If someone wants to pack their freezer I have no problem with that

echuck66 wrote:
As for myself, I release 'most' of what I catch. On occasion, I enjoy taking a few fish home

Me too.

I wouldn't overestimate how many anglers look down on those of us who keep some fish. Sure, there are some catch and release snobs...but I don't think they're esp numerous. I also think their numbers are actually fewer than back in the late 80s-90s when the whole "catch and release" ethic seemed to be more pronounced. There also seems to be a bit more public acceptance of eating wild game and fish than a generation ago as well.
Perhaps it's a matter of perception?

Whatever the case, I like to eat fish and keep some stocked trout for the pan every year (these are from streams that generally get too warm). I don't keep wild trout or bass (maybe a bleeder, but it has been years).
I do like a fish fry of panfish in the summer and will keep a bluefish, flounder, or small striper from the surf once in awhile.

I'm C&R 99% of the time. It's my preference, even when fishing warm water species. I have friends who don't get the concept.

That said, if I were to keep trout, it would be stockies. Saddens me to hear of someone telling of catching a large trout and how good it tastes. Same goes for a big bass.

That's my personal preference. To each their own. Everyone has to make their own choice and live with it.

I have no problem with anyone keeping fish for the table or the freezer. Fresh fish is a healthy choice and I occasionally take a few trout for the grill or frying pan. My favorite fish for the table are bluegill and perch.

"...these folks are not really affecting any 'wild' or 'native' populations, so I'm not sure they deserve the derogatory terms that are thrown at them…"

echuck66...What if the populations are completely wild? Then the bi-oches get what's comin'.

While a stream 6 miles away are 95% stocked for the harvest…with balloons and hotdog stands. Where is Green Peace when you need them? It is a good thing we have government oversight…to protect wild resources…

When I have labeled anglers as such…it was true. They harvest something that is not controlled by man. Some streams should be catch and release...others are for harvest.

BTW, I do not hunt or trap…I go to the store and purchase the government regulated food…which humanly farmed, fattened, penned, and slaughtered.

I am now hungry for fish tacos

i think its down to your personal conscience - i base mine on the condition of the stock, if its down, poor of threatened then i don't take them.

I know that people will and do take them so I don't to offset that.

as to stockies i have no problem, but i think the attitude of taking your limit every day until they're gone 'cos I paid for 'em" is a little shortsighted and selfish - bearing in mind a lot of those fish will end up freezer burnt and thrown out, they could be left for longer sport and for kids to catch.

echuck66 wrote:
It's always bothered me the way some of the fly fishing community refers to people who keep some fish to eat.

For the most part, these folks are not really affecting any 'wild' or 'native' populations...

Why do you believe this to be the case?

I don't mind anyone keeping their legal limit of fish. But too many times I have seen so-called sportsmen that take more than a limit, take fish out of season, or fish illegally in special reg areas. You will also see them waiting for the truck and won't carry one bucket. These people I do mind.

i think the attitude of taking your limit every day until they're gone 'cos I paid for 'em" is a little shortsighted and selfish

I completely agree with this. I tend to only keep what I intend to eat or feed my family. Steelhead are the only fish I tend to freeze until I'm ready to smoke them for a special occasion (usually Thanksgiving or Christmas).

I have never caught a wild trout (mainly because I've yet to fish a stream that will support wild trout), but if I did, I would definitely release it. I usually end up releasing all the fish I catch anyway, with the exception of a few bass (LM, not SM) and panfish. The deciding factor with bass is usually the body of water I catch them in (if the water is clean, is there a healthy population of fish present, but most importantly, whether or not I intend to cook/eat them the same day).

Anyway, I just thought it ironic that there are some C/R snobs out there who have a problem with people keeping a few fish now and then, but have no problem with hunting.

I don't hunt, but I have no problems with those who do. I used to hunt, but after moving to PA and seeing all the people flooding the woods with guns each year, I tend to stick to fishing. Besides, when the fishers/hunters take to the woods, the fishing tends to get better due to fewer lines in the water.

Ec - you can't have steelies smoked and vac packed then frozen.

It should be a better taste and last up to a year.

Turkey season is my favorite time of year. No one is on the stream and if my neighbor gets lucky, I get a fresh batch of materials.

geebee wrote:

...i think the attitude of taking your limit every day until they're gone 'cos I paid for 'em" is a little shortsighted and selfish - bearing in mind a lot of those fish will end up freezer burnt and thrown out, they could be left for longer sport and for kids to catch.

echuck, When I use the term freezer fillers, it is to describe exactly what geebee said. It's legal, but ignorant. I have nothing against putting some in the freezer as long as they actually get used.

Trout is not one of my favorite fish to eat, but wife and I often eat a few each year. didn't keep any last year, but the year before, I kept a few. These fish never make it in the freezer because they are way better fresh and chances are they would end up thrown out. But if I couldn't afford to buy fresh fish or walk in my back yard to catch some panfish (which taste way better IMO) from time to time, I'd likely be freezing some of what I catch.

Also, I haven't kept any wild trout in a very long time. But that is also just a personal preference (even though wild taste better).

Foxtrapper, many people don't realize that the fish you buy in the store is just as contaminated, and in some cases, more contaminated. But the rules are different there, They don't have requirements for "advisories." Either it is below a certain level that they can sell it, or it isn't and they can't.

echuck66 wrote:

Anyway, I just thought it ironic that there are some C/R snobs out there who have a problem with people keeping a few fish now and then, but have no problem with hunting.

In my experience, a lot of the C&R snobs do have a problem with hunting. I just don't care either way.;-)

Sometimes the term is used (by me) tongue in cheek. It is not intended to describe all bait fishermen, or everyone who keeps a fish. It is used to describe the greed with which a fairly sizable numer of people act when it comes to "getting their share". When they catch a limit, go back to the truck, then you see them back at another pool an hour later with another limit on their stringer - that is not only unethical, it is illegal. Derogatory terms for people who act in this way are completely appropriate.

I take my kids on opening day, I teach them we keep one fish for each member of the family, then we catch and release. We eat trout dinner, they learn C&R. People look at us like we're from Mars when we start releasing "perfectly good fish" - but a few times we have seen others start to follow our lead.

I don't have any problem with keeping a few.

And FWIW, there are places where they do hurt wild populations. It's the exception, not the rule. But where wilds and stockies co-exist in reasonable numbers, access is easy, and a large contingent of freezer fillers show up. Often they don't even know whether a fish is stocked or wild.

The part that bugs me is that we think the "freezer fillers" as this huge group, and anytime we see people with spinning equipment or bait, we automatically assume them to be part of that crowd. Even as bait guys go, the ones who harvest the majority of their catch are a pretty small minority. The ones who deep hook nearly every fish are a minority.

They do exist. And when we see one, we get disgusted, and then assume everyone with the same basic equipment is doing the same. It doesn't help that they congregate. This crowd is often the shoulder to shoulder guys at the bridge hole on opening day. They look like a lot of people that way. And us, when we want to observe spinning guys, go to that there bridge to observe them and it looks like nearly every one is putting every fish on a stringer, jockeying for position, etc. We picture this happening over the whole stream.

But really, it's just that bridge hole there. This happens on 1% of the stream. And most of these guys fish only 1-3 days per year (for trout). Meanwhile, the "better" spinning guys are widely spaced over the other 99% of stream, they fish often and are good at it and release most of what they catch, and don't do much more damage than we do.

Among the bait crowd, there are 2 groups, not 1. And we attribute the actions of the smaller group to the whole.

I think I just got 'PCrayed', but I like that response. You described it correctly, I believe.

Thanks

Back