Flyfishermans Paradise Spring Creek

R

ryan25rb

I will be heading to the paradise this sunday with a few of my buddies to fish. I was just wondering on flies and fly patterns i should take with me? Thanks

Ryan

Try midges, olives, caddis larva, small beadheads. Good luck, I'm headed up there on Saturday.... I hope

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Stream_Conditions_Display.cfm?stream=Spring%20Creek

In addition to seasonal patterns, always have scuds and sowbugs with you on Spring Creek, year round. Wet ants work well for me too. Good Luck!

I'll second the scuds advice. I'd add: cream caddis #16 and orange crane fly (dry) also #16.

Fish,

Too early for cranes yet or have they also begun?

I have seen craneflies already.

Chase and hope for Grannoms / Hendricksons on a different creek or go to Spring? Got a few days to think that one over. Any suggestions?

i vote for size 16 cress bugs , and i have fished the section they call paradise and i think they should rename it , its a little misleading , as a matter of fact nothing like paradise at all in my opinion ! a silty shallow section of stream with no wading and way to many suckers !

mostly repeats...

#14-#18 olive shrimp (scuds)
#14-18 grey cress bugs
#18 BWO - emerger, dry, nymph
#14-16 caddis larva
#14-18 ant
#14-18 pheasant tail
#22-26 midge

there are some caddis and small stones.

The stream is low and clear. Dries, I would go after the ones hunging the bangs with midges, ants, or BWOs. It would be more productive to use smallish nymphs....if the conditions remain the same.

sent u PM

Cloudy days bring the BWOs in much more numbers.

Walts worm! I was there Saturday and the Walts worm was very productive in size 18.

Walt's worm is an absolute staple on spring creek. I almost always have one on in tandem. Tie them heavy and use as a point fly so you don't need split shot.

My theory is that they take it for a cress bug. I use them as a staple fly on all limestone streams. Except for peak hatch time, the WW outfishes everything else.

If it looks like a turd, the fish on spring creek will eat it.

jayL wrote:
Walt's worm is an absolute staple on spring creek. I almost always have one on in tandem. Tie them heavy and use as a point fly so you don't need split shot.

My theory is that they take it for a cress bug. I use them as a staple fly on all limestone streams. Except for peak hatch time, the WW outfishes everything else.

If it looks like a turd, the fish on spring creek will eat it.

Just for credit where credit is do, and PA fly fishing history etc., Walt's Worm was originated by Walt Young, from Altoona. He used to work at Flyfishers Paradise.

I don't think this pattern has gone national yet. But it's getting pretty well known in PA.

Dwight, I just read an article written on Grannoms by Walt Young in April 2009. I think it was from the Altoona Mirror. Something simple googled like "grannom hatch" brought it up. I was wondering where I had heard that name, and you just answered it for me.

By the way, I just saw Spring Creek this evening and contrary to what flyguyfishing reported, it was not low and clear. It is ideal clarity with the chalky limestone color, with a strong spring flow.

troutbert wrote:
Just for credit where credit is do, and PA fly fishing history etc., Walt's Worm was originated by Walt Young, from Altoona. He used to work at Flyfishers Paradise.

I don't think this pattern has gone national yet. But it's getting pretty well known in PA.

Interesting. I learned to tie the pattern from the guys at FFP. I mean, there's nothing too hard to reverse engineer, but they told me a few of the intricacies of the dubbing mixture and such. I wonder if that's all part of what makes "the original" WW...?

Can you confirm that it's supposed to imitate a cress bug, or is it just designed as a "fish food" imitation? Not that it matters...

I thought it was crane fly larva?
picture_2761_small.jpg

Yeah, I learned it as a crane fly larva, too, but it's impressionistic at best.

We're probably overthinking it. It gets bit a lot. That's all that matters.

Has anyone used it with success on other streams? Freestone streams? I so strongly associate it with Spring Creek that I haven't tried it much elsewhere.

Stonefly/ Caddis...????

I have stockies love it here in the Lehigh Valley

As regards WW--if you like history check out Sawyer's Killer Bug, which is tied with reddish brown wire and wool yarn. Very similar idea and look.

Back