Fly Line to leader connection

K

King-Fisher

What methods does everyone use for connecting the leader to the fly line. I currently use the eyelet with a point attached and you insert the point into the line. However I am looking for something "better".

I use a nail know covered with Loon Knot sense...here's a good site for knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=

Rio lines come with a loop. If I use something else, I tie an albright special.

Come to think of it my newest line does have a loop. But the rest are nail knots.

loop-to-loop for me. I too use rio with the preformed loop.

For the guys who don't like the loop's bulkyness, you can tie 2 closing loops together. Then you have the easy of putting 2 loops together, with the smallness of the nail know. Downside - you can't take them apart to change various leaders.

Try toms knot it takes alittle work but is worth it.

Better yet, cut your leader butt on a diagonal and insert it in the end of the fly line, you first need to insert a needle about 1/4 to 3/8 inches in the line and out the side.

Premade loops that you slip on,often a pain, work well for me.Just make sure to glue it in place and use the shrink wrap to keep it in place. I've used some florescent ones that work ok as indicators when nymph or wet fly fishing.You can make a loop in your line and whip finish it in place. Tarpon fishermen do that and attach line to backing loop to loop using a bimini twist in the backing. It sounds like overkill, but with big fish ,even salmon and steelies, every little bit helps.

what do you use to seal the end of the fly line?

I just noticed my first gripe with the rio.

Has anyone had a problem with the line kinking and practically breaking above the loop? If so, how did you work around it? The line is a year old, and I'm considering filing a complaint with Rio.

You can snip the ends off a QTip to get a cheap tube to tie that nail knot Tom referred to.It's a good alternative method of line to leader fastening.

I cut the loop off the fly line, and use a nail knot to attach the butt section. That first butt section stays there for a long time, I design the leaders from there down so that when I change them, I keep that first section. Probably gets changed once a season, at most, on my most used set up, at which time I lose a half an inch of fly line, I guess.

I don't seal the end, but maybe I should....

I used to nail knot it on, but this season I bought some furled leaders that came with loops on the end.

So, I bound a loop on the end of the fly line with thread, and do loop to loop.

Last year I started doing loop to loop for leader to tippet, as well. So far, so good.

I use a short length of stiff mono (same stuff i use for my shock leader when surf fishing) and nail knot it to my fly line. The other end of this stiff mono i put a perfection loop in. That way i can do loop to loop connections when switching leaders.

pcray1231 wrote:
I cut the loop off the fly line, and use a nail knot to attach the butt section. That first butt section stays there for a long time, I design the leaders from there down so that when I change them, I keep that first section. Probably gets changed once a season, at most, on my most used set up, at which time I lose a half an inch of fly line, I guess.

I do the same as pcray, but just the opposite! If the flyline does not come with a loop, I whip finish a loop on the end of all my flylines, and attach my leader loop-to-loop. I probably redo it once a season on my most used rod as pcray does.

To each his own, they both work, BUT I can change leaders easily with loops. The loop seems to float better than a nail knot since the bouyant fly line is doubled in the thinnest section (the end). And yes, the loop slips through my guides with ease. And no, there is no hinging effect if you attach the loops correctly, in fact just the opposite, the doubled up line is less, not more flexible than a single line. And no, I have never had one fail on a fish.

Jay, just cut of the loop and whip finish another one on. If you used a nail knot, you would have to redo that knot anyway.

pcray1231 wrote:

I do the same thing now that I tie my own leaders. I attach a piece of 23 thousandths I think? And then tie my leaders to that. The thicker butt section flips the fly out nicely. I too like the knail knot.

Regardless of the connection it is great to build your own leaders to suit your casting stroke, you will be amazed at how subtle differences in leader build improve your presentation especially for drys

littlejuniata wrote:
Regardless of the connection it is great to build your own leaders to suit your casting stroke, you will be amazed at how subtle differences in leader build improve your presentation especially for drys

Exactly!! I wish I found that out a long time ago........better late then never.

afishinado wrote:
Jay, just cut of the loop and whip finish another one on. If you used a nail knot, you would have to redo that knot anyway.

Yeah, I'm probably going to end up doing that. I still sent them an email asking what they're willing to do, though.

Ditto LJ and Justfish. I build my own furled leader butts and that makes all the difference in presentation, whether it's achieved with knotted mono or furled leaders.

When I first started FF, and didn't know a thing, I used one of those metal thingies with a barb that inserts in the end of the flyline and a small loop on the other. I think they still sell them! I didn't take long for me to ditch that. I used a nail knot for maybe 15 years, and then tried those braided loop things for a season or two. For the last 15 years I've been my my own loops and haven't looked back. I wondered when the flyline companies would finally make a factory loop.

As you guys said, it's what comes after the connection that really counts.

All my fly lines have welded loops and I used a furled leader with a loop to make a loop-to-loop connection. To the furled leader, I attach tippet to the tippet ring and I'm off catching fish. Seems to work for me and I don't have to nuts around with nail knots, changing leaders, etc. I'm new to this hobby and like to spend more time casting line and catching/attempting to catch fish versus tying knots and changing leaders.

Back