Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Fly Fishing Competitions on TV?

From Erie, PA
I used to enjoy watching fly fishing on ESPN Outdoor games but it is no longer, anyone know of any fly competitions on tv these days? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/24 4:24

Re: Fly Fishing Competitions on TV?

From Johnstown, PA
No. Ain't it fantastic. Buy a half a million dollar bass boat and wear a fancy uniform like a race car driver and go DO THAT.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 5:26

From Mont Co, Pa
Agree. ^ I'm sooo tired of this competition crap! And it is crap.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 8:25

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Agree. ^ I'm sooo tired of this competition crap! And it is crap.
I agree 100%. Flyfishing is not a competition and was never intended to be.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:24

From Philadelphia, PA
I also have no interest in competition + fly fishing, but some people dig it.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 16:54

From Erie, PA
I have no interest in doing it, it was just something different to watch on tv.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:17

From York, PA
Why is it that so many are against this? Most bass fishers don't competition fish, but yet I don't mind watching occasionally. What is so ethically wrong with this that ruffles so many feathers?

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:38

From florida
The only competition I enjoy is between me and the fish. Mostly I come in second. GG

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:40

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

sipe wrote:
Why is it that so many are against this?

Because its douchey.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:57

From South Central,PA
We always find a way to make any activity competitive...I guess its human nature. My other main interest in life is music and I've always found "battle of the bands" to be absolutely absurd. Fly fishing competitions might seem ridiculous but at least there are actual numbers (fish caught / length / weight) that can be kept as score. It's inevitable that there will be a competition made of it.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 20:28

From Clearfield
I don't have a problem with any competition.....I think competition is necessary for society and was included in the foundation of the country

but I do have a problem with this; I was in a central pa fly shop the same day as a recent competition and asked where it was being held. I have no interest in fishing on someones beat and for the most part there is more than enough water to find space away from the competitors, but when the guy behind the counter said there were 24 competitions being scheduled this year in that area alone it makes you wonder if you need to start fishing in competitions to fish certain areas on weekends

Posted on: 2013/3/24 20:34

From State College
I could care less about comps,but I do know that a good many tactics were developed for competitions

Posted on: 2013/3/24 21:20

From Chester County
Quote:

tyeager wrote:
I don't have a problem with any competition.....I think competition is necessary for society and was included in the foundation of the country

but I do have a problem with this; I was in a central pa fly shop the same day as a recent competition and asked where it was being held. I have no interest in fishing on someones beat and for the most part there is more than enough water to find space away from the competitors, but when the guy behind the counter said there were 24 competitions being scheduled this year in that area alone it makes you wonder if you need to start fishing in competitions to fish certain areas on weekends

I follow the comp fishermen a bit. They are some of the best FFers in the country. I definitely am not into comp fishing myself, but I've learned a lot from some of them.

Comp FFing seems to be gaining popularity, especially in PA, because we have a very active and successful team made up of PA guys, for the most part. Anyway, I wish them well, but this is a double edged sword. Each year, more and more competitions are scheduled by the national team as well as many other clubs and organizations.

I would hate to see conflict on weekends between the comp and pleasure fishermen. The statements in the above post makes me think a problem may be brewing.

In many of the bass lakes in PA there is such conflict with the scheduling of tournaments. Let's hope that all anglers respect each other and try to work out things so each may enjoy our sport in their own way.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 6:07

From Johnstown, PA
I'm very much against competetive FF events , except for kids rodeos. The one thing i do agree with is what GG said.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 6:23

From Ferguson Twp.
I'll never forget the time about 20 yrs ago I was bass fishing in a pond ( almost a lake in size )in Del. in a canoe. Got up real early so I could slip on to the water before first light. So there I am fly rod in hand catching some on deer hair bugs sun's coming up, got all the usual dawning of the day stuff going on, you know complete serenity then there's this huge roar of engines and the next thing I know...bass boats and hoots and hollers fill the day. The glass smooth water illuminated by sunrise now a churning froth of waves. I left, at the dock I was told it was my fault for not checking the schedule. Ignorant me didn't know there was one.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 6:33

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com