Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Fly Fishing Competitions on TV?

From down the block from the Letort.
so, uhmm, what's the difference between the comps and coming back to the cabin in the evening and comparing numbers with your buddies? I've seen a lot of posts around here about 'friendly competitions' that happen at camps during opening wknd, guys that log all the fish they catch thru the year...is there really any difference?

fishing is probably more competitive than some of ya'll think...

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:12

From hellertown
I agree with many of the other commentary so far on this thread....Czech nymphing is about as much flyfishing as centerpinning is ....all mono easy drifts not my cup if tea ..... Cut the mono down let them use an indicator and make them mend and we will see who can accomplish a drag free drift and catch some fish just my 2 cents

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:09

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

blueheron said:

Have at it Becker.

Have at what? Does not matter to me how ya fish. As long as you get enjoyment out of it.

I fish anyway I feel will be productive. Could be highsticking, thingamabobber, streamers, dry flys, swinging wets from a helicopter. I just want to become better at all aspects. However, how you or anybody else fishes does not effect an ounce of my life.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Parkesburg
Is snagging productive?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:19

If people watch, advertisers pay, people make money, repeat.

Nobody watches or discusses, nobody gives a #censor#, advertisers shift advertising dollars, no sponsors, no competition.

Simple.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:23

From York, PA
If they put it on TV I'll watch it and TiVo it. I'll enjoy it and will probably never enter a comp but will always wish I could. I don't care about them other than self serving reasons (entertainment), and I won't fear for the dilution of the sport.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:29

Quote:

NickR wrote:
Is snagging productive?

Well obviously, that is why it is called snagging. Lol

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:42

From PA and NH
Have at that style, if you feel like it.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:57

From Johnstown, PA
SBecker..........i wanna go chopper fishin!!!!! The last Jam w2e had at Hemlock Acres i ran into a competition/tournament on a stream that i think was an upper branch/trib to Penns , it was above where the cave is and facing upstream it was to the left of the cave. there were signs posted about the comp and there were lots of trout , i fished and caught a few but never saw another angler , anyone remember this or know where i was , it was my first trip to Penns and i was totally unfamiliar with the area , was i on private property? The only signs present were the ones explaining the tournament. Chopper fishin with SB YEAH!!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/26 6:30

If you can provide us with the choppa, we are a go.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 7:53

From Brookville, PA
I competitve fly fish and I just so happen to be highly active in TU on a local and state level. I would actually say that many competitive anglers are more interested in conserving and protecting the streams than a good majority of anglers out there.

I totally understand its not for everyone but really what gives many of you the right to judge and demonize it to some extent. At one time I was actually much closer to the dead againist stance but once I looked into it and got a better understanding of what is involved I truely grew to appreciate what it is about and how it has improved me as an angler and conservationist.

As far as comments about czech nymphing and pinning are you for real? What the heck do you think an indicator is that really is pinning with a fly rod much more so than any tight line nymphing is. But I dont care how you fish as long as you enjoy it. Bait, lures, dries its all just fishing and we all do what we consider enjoyable. I do urge you to learn more about whats involved with the competitions before you are quick to judge.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:21

You know, since some of you have sort of left the topic, here's somethingI think I'm going to try this year: Tenkara fly-fishing. EXCEPT: I think I'm going to tie a section of old, worn-out fly line to an ancient cane pole I have in the garage, add a leader, and knot on a couple of nymphs. I guess that would be old man's Tenkara fly-fishing. If I really get to it, I do not imagine I'll do it very often, but I do think it might be a hoot.
As for Czech nymphing and pinning, I think it's up to the individual. Heck, I easily recall when indicators were considered unsporting and beadhead nymphs were referred to as mini jigs!

Posted on: 2013/3/26 11:26

From Pgh
Too be honest, I couldn't care less about competitive fly fishing, Czech nymphing, pinning or fishing in the nude. Whatever floats your boat.

This winter has been too long and we all need to step away from the computer and step into a creek.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 12:50

Has anyone looke at the stress on the resource (fish bugs water streamside plants,etc), particularly in light of good streams where many comps are scheduled? Maybe each stream should have a limit on the number of comps in a given area.

Additionally, I get 1 saturday a month to fish and if I drive a few hundred miles I would probably fish around these guys, wouldn't want to intentionally mess anyone up but by the same token mytime is limited and I can't afford to stand around and wait/watch.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 18:15

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com