Flies I need?

B

bric2000

I am a newbie to fly fishing. I will have some help getting started - I have a newly acquired friend who is willing to help me out. I have some extra cash and was planning on getting ready for the spring season. I am looking for suggestions on flies that I should have for fishing creeks in the NEPA region.
Thanks!

Hi bric - Click here for a recent discussion about fly selection.

Not all streams have every bug out there, so if you plan on fishing a particular stream, try to google up a hatch chart for that stream. In lieu of this, there's a generic hatch chart in the site content column on the right side of the page.

Some flies are useful anytime, anywhere. Things like streamers, and attractor flies are good to keep stock of. Likewise, wet flies can often save the day, and there's really no wrong way to fish them.

If you let us know where you want to fish, and what time frame, we can recommend some patterns that'd be useful.

If you DO get to attend the Instructional Jam (Newbie Jam), you'll get a TON of information about this, as well as learning about the things fish eat in our streams. Bring a notebook and pen...

H.A.

For the NE region for early spring get some #14 black stone fly dries, green Henryville Specials # 14 and #16, #18 tan caddis, # 14 hendricksons, and quill gordons, along with #14 rusty spinners. A few royal wulffs thrown in for good measure, in #12. These flies will get you started and if you don't catch some fish with them right away I'll be surprised. No, make that shocked. Depnding on the stream they may last from Spril through the end of May.

Dear bric,

To add what has already been posted you will probably want a selection of nymphs for times when the fish aren't actively feeding on top.

You only need a couple of patterns to start. I'd suggest Gold Ribbed hare's ear, Pheasant tail, and Prince nymphs in sizes 12 to 16 or 18. If you fish a lot of stocked streams a few glo-bugs can also come in handy. If you aren't familar with glo-bugs they look just like salmon eggs and stocker rainbow trout dig 'em.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back