HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fishing Creek Angler

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

PALongbow wrote:
I think they key to having a successful fly shop includes the following.

1. Good inventory that fits both the local population and out of town visitors. Sell unique items that maybe others don't necessarily carry.

2. Great personality and not overly opinionated. Provide instruction when asked.

3. As stated internet presence and supporting local affiliations

4. Set up the shop where people want to come and stay or hang out. Longer the customer is in the shop the more they typically buy. Make the customer feel part of the shop.

5. Common sense approach where the customer always comes first. Provide the best customer service. This is missing in today's business world.

6. Be approachable to everyone.

7. Educate yourself on all new products and existing inventory.

8. Be flexible to industry change.

9. Last but not least....Keep normal shop hours and understand that not all customers can visit the shop during normal day time hours and turn the lights on...

Ron

good list Ron, though as to 4) i think in most shops that is one of the most intimidating things to a newb - a shop full of guys busting balls etc. around the counter.

a good store owner will be very aware of when a stranger comes in, or anyone at all, many will just carry on with their buddies - though to be fair ive had the experience of being helped out by the counter crew a few times.

if i had a store, i'd put aside space for a couple of couches and a k-cup machine, leave out a few instructional books flyers etc to encourage people to hang out like they do in starbucks (and keep the counter clear...)

beer would be better obviously - in Waterbury VT they have a fly store & craft beer bar.

hours - summer 5.30am til 9, 11.30 til 2, then 5 til 7.30pm, Winter 8-2pm & 5-7pm ...is what i'd think is optimum.

Posted on: 3/16 21:30

From Berks County, PA
Agree that #4 could cause some issues for a newbie but on the other hand as you stated could be a help. I guess it depends on the counter crew. I think its in the best interest of the shop owner to monitor this and make necessary adjustments.

Ron

Posted on: 3/17 8:05

From Harpers Ferry, WV
The wife and I have a lot of ideas. location is the big thing. We would leave our current place in a heartbeat for that location. We are almost 4 hours away so selling our house would most likely be a must. I would love to find something already established, but the last two places the owners seemed more interested in being unsure of what they actually wanted to do with the business.

Posted on: 3/18 15:38

From Gilbertsville, PA
Since I see continued interest in what is happening with Fishing Creek Angler perhaps I can shed some light. I don't know the owners but I always liked the shop and tried to stop by when in the area. Last Fall I drove a distance one Saturday to find the shop closed. Hearing voices behind the shop I approached a man who informed me the shop was closed and that his wife was seriously ill. I wished he and his wife the best and continued on. I never heard anything more. Perhaps someone who lives in the area can provide an update. Members are correct, it was a nice fly shop. I'd like to think she's doing well.

Posted on: 3/18 18:36

From rock glen, pa
I have been a customer of lee and maryann for a long time, having spent countless hours in his shop when just starting to fly fish, he went as far as inviting me to fish with him at spring creek a couple of weekends. As stated before you cant ask for nicer people. yes, maryann is not well and hasnt been for a while, so before any one slams his reputation please consider that. He has plans to travel with his wife with the time he has left with her. Hope everything works out for him and his family.

Posted on: 4/5 9:28

They are having their final sale today, Sat. April 5, from 9 to 5.

I saw this in Mid-Atlantic Flyfishing Guide magazine.

Posted on: 4/5 10:09

From WNY
Quote:

Sylvaneous wrote:
Shame. We keep losing places. I haven't heard anything from Oil Creek outfitters since last year. The front porch sign is broken and laying in the front yard. That leaves the closest fly shop to me at Neshannock Creek.
\

He closes and spends the winter in Florida.
He gets back usually in late March.
He re-opened two weeks ago.

Posted on: 4/5 10:45

From Pa
Some fantastic deals today. Hate to see this place go

Posted on: 4/5 11:13

From Berks County, PA
Hang tight there may be another fly shop there in the near future..

Ron

Posted on: 4/6 12:02

From Bucks County
Quote:

PALongbow wrote:
Hang tight there may be another fly shop there in the near future..

Ron

"There"?

Posted on: 4/6 12:19

From Berks County, PA
...as there in Benton.

Posted on: 4/6 17:19

From S.E. PA
Last time I was there was back when the Beck's owned it. Sad to see it go.

Posted on: 4/6 18:14

From Lambertville
The recession has taken its toll on the shops. Two shops I go to have half the inventory they had in 2006 / 07.

Posted on: 4/6 18:26

From Berks County, PA
I think there is a little bit more than the recession taking its toll on fly shops. There are successful fly shops still around. The ones that are successful have created a very dynamic atmosphere both in their shops and Internet presence. Having a customer first attitude and not being overly opinionated is where most shops succeed and where others fail.

Ron

Posted on: 4/7 7:37

From Pa
You nailed it PaLongBow.

Posted on: 4/7 11:34

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com