Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fish ID Mike; anyone?

I was fishing Lake Galena last eve. I was catching What looks like a sunfish bass cross. The mouth was larger than a sunfish. It had gill tabs like a bluegill,but was shaped more like a bass also the lower fins were a peach color. Any one have a idea what it is. I've also caught them up to 10" in a farm pond I used to fish.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 7:58

Re: Fish ID Mike; anyone?

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
there's a lead mine at the upper end of galena underwater. probably effecting the genetics of the fish in there... make sure you eat some !!!

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:05

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Who needs enemies when you have friends?!?! lol

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:11

From Dauphin PA
Warmouth

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:11

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
There are probably a dozen types of sunfish in PA. How big was it?

My best guess is a warmouth. Green sunfish also have big, tough mouths like that, but they tend to be very small.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:20

From Gettysburg
Based on your description of peach colored fins......I'd guess a white perch. If you check the Biologists Report for Galena, there's a pic of the different panfish found in the lake. White perch are numerous there.

Galena Fish

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:24

From LV
Where's the pic? Can't tell anything without a pic.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:26

Naturally occurring green sunfish/pumpkinseed sunfish hybrid. Occurs in many water bodies, especially turbid ones, but they are not unique to turbid water. Also becoming common at Blue Marsh Lake, and I recall them being common in SW Pa streams (green sunfish hybridizing with other sunfish species) during my surveys there in 1976....Dunkard Ck, S Fk Ten Mile Ck, Ten Mile Ck, etc. The hybrids are often larger than the parent stock and grow faster too........known biologically as "hybrid vigor."

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:46

From South Lebanon Township, PA
A pic would be the only way to tell for certain. Based on the description I would have guessed Green Sunfish. They're usually about 5-6 inches as adults in most lake systems due to overpopulation (they're amazingly efficient spawners) and stunted growth from insufficient forage per fish. They can get bigger though given the right conditions. I caught one underneath a low head on the Swatara that was darn close to 10 inches once. Warmouth is a possibility from the description too, but Greens are much more common in PA. The one wrinkle for me is the biologist's report FI posted that didn't turn up any Greens or Warmouth...doesn't mean they're not there necessarily, but you'd expect to catch a few with all those Bluegill if they were.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:57

No pic because no camera its broken.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 11:03

Thanks Mike,you came through as usual.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 13:16

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
what about me Lou, didn't I help ???????

Posted on: 2013/6/7 17:06

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Don't get me wrong...Mike's an asset to have on this site and his input is often invaluable, but in a case like this it's impossible to 100% for sure ID the fish without a picture or more descriptive and scientific account of the fish. Based on the info in the thread so far, all of the mentioned species are possible.

Hybrids of the four common PA sunfishes (Bluegill, Green, Pumpkinseed, Redbreast) occur naturally and it's often very hard to accurately determine the species of their parents just by looking at them. Add to that, sunfish hybrids are often not sterile and can reproduce themselves, making IDing them even tougher. If several species are present in a watershed or lake, you can easily get lots of mutts.

Again, no way to tell accurately, but I'd probably lean away from a GreenxPumpkinseed hybrid here due to the OP's mentioning of a very large mouth on his fish. Greens have very large mouths for their size, but Pumpkinseeds have very small mouths, about the same or smaller than a Bluegill of equal size even. A GreenxPumpkinseed hybrid will have a mouth size somewhere in between its parents, but definitely smaller than a pure Green. Still, what stumps me most is that no Greens were turned up in the survey FI posted the link to.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:22

From SE Pa.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:39

From Eastern PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Warmouth

Thats what it sounds like. We used to catch beasts down on Santee Cooper chain of lakes.

Having said that, a photo goes a long way .....

Posted on: 2013/6/7 19:46

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com