Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fish ID Mike; anyone?

Warmouth: Extremely rare in SE Pa. To my knowledge, biologists have identified one in the past 30 yrs., and that was just recently. There may have been others over the past 30 yrs, but I know of only one. I have seen one or two in my career, both in Southwestern Pa.

Lake Galena biologist report: The species list in the report was based on sampling that was not complete or intended to be complete for all species. The list was based only on the trap net catch. Additionally, Galena's water source was expanded in the 1980's and new species introductions can occur independently of agency or angler introductions.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 22:31

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Warmouth: Extremely rare in SE Pa. To my knowledge, biologists have identified one in the past 30 yrs., and that was just recently. There may have been others over the past 30 yrs, but I know of only one.

Interesting.
I do a good bit of FFing for warm water species and panfish and I have never seen a warmouth in all of my fishing in PA. I used to catch tons of 'em in Michigan, where locals called 'em "mud bass." I rarely fish the Ohio River drainage and mostly focus on the waters here in the south central however.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 22:38

From Greensburg, PA
sounds like a warmouth or a good old rock bass. If it had purple-ish bands on its sides it a warmouth.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 0:00

From LV
I guess noneherelistens, Mike said they are very rare, indeed they are on the endangered species list for PA, and ARE NOT native to Eastern PA. I didn't find them in any biologist reports, but that doesn't mean there are none in Eastern PA, but I'd bet there are none in the Delaware Drainage.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 11:29

From Carbon County
It sounds like a rock bass to me. I've caught some in the Delaware water gap that have lighter yellowish greenish fins. They look especially light in the sun. You know bass are in the sunfish family. Like everyone else has said it's hard to know without a pic, just a description. I think everyone is over thinking this one.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 14:49

Its not a rockbass,I've caught lots its not a sunfish its not a bass.. What I will do is get a camera go to galena catch one take lots of pics and post them.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 14:57

From Philadelphia PA
it's definitely a "Whatchamacallit" People talk about them all the time. And of course like Nessy sightings - no real depth of photos for proper identification.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 7:54
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Maytown, PA
Here is a good ID key that might help him Identify it.

http://tinyurl.com/Id-key

Posted on: 2013/6/9 8:46

From Greensburg, PA
The top of the three warmouth pics is what I remember them looking like. Notice the purplish sides. Found them in a pond just north of Pymatuning lake. crystal lake or something like that. We targeted them as part of a statistics class I had. The prof was a TU president in the Conneaut (sp) area.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 10:46

Nice key and photos. I particularly like that the creators included some of the various color phases of the individual species which tend to trip some anglers up and make them think that they have caught a "new" species of fish for the area or water body that they typically fish.

I am not going to get into the green sunfish hybrid issue mentioned by Swattie above; it just is not that important to me. We identify them simply as sunfish hybrids as we process fish from various types of sampling gear.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 11:48

From Ohio
There's a few places I have caught warmouths in NW PA, and one of the places I catch them kinda regularly. Well not regularly, but they're far from rare. Always get a handful every year there. I also live right by Mosquito Lake in NE OH where both warmouths and green sunfish are very common. Cool fish to catch.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 20:50

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, in western PA, warmouths were not exactly rare. I mean, not super common, but I caught several per year, which is a lot for someone who never really targeted panfish.

You're right, though, while I don't fish warmwater that much, I haven't caught one in the Susquehanna or Delaware drainages to date. I guess I didn't realize they were so rare or nonexistant out here, just never gave it much thought.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 8:08

From Other side of the tracks
Lou, I caught a bunch of those the other day from my pond in the woods. I just assumed they were large green sunfish in spawning colors because I caught both sexes. Crosses tend to favor one sex. Green crossed with bluegill or redear tend to product about 90% male.

Do a search on Green Sunfish images.

I was actually fishing for perch for dinner, but when I would reel in, these things would attack it. Hell, they even hammered the popper a couple times. I wasn't fly fishing, so it wasn't a strike indicator.. VERY aggressive fish. They looked very similar to the bluegill/green sunfish hybrids that I stocked in the other pond several years ago but not quite as big and even more colorful. So what Mike said has me rethinking this. They might have been a hybrid of some sort afterall. The pond does contain green sunfish, pumpkin seed, bluegills, and I think even warmouth, and who knows what else.

BTW, they not only were extremely aggressive, they were also quite tasty.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 8:10

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
The top of the three warmouth pics is what I remember them looking like. Notice the purplish sides. Found them in a pond just north of Pymatuning lake. crystal lake or something like that. We targeted them as part of a statistics class I had. The prof was a TU president in the Conneaut (sp) area.

Tom, I think I know that "lake." However, I think that is the name of the trailer park. The lake is actually called mud lake.

Sorry, but I always found the name of that trailer park to be amusing.

link

No doubt there are lots of warmouth in that lake, but I never fished it.

It's actually east of Pymatuning Lake but feeds the norther part so you are close enough. I always wanted to hit the part north of there by canoe along the old canal system. I've walked up in there along the tracks quite a ways in the winter just to check it out. Popular duck hunting spot I think. It looks like awesome bass water if the mosquitoes don't carry you away first.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 8:36

From Lewistown, PA
Rock bass, maybe?

Posted on: 2013/6/10 12:10

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com