First on dry this year...

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Went to the LL, both FFO sections, today. Started at Wild Cherry Lane around 1230 and grabbed one rainbow on sucker spawn. Saw some fish rising in the same section, but not a lot of activity otherwise. Moved down to the Heritage section around 230-3 and found some steady top water activity. Tied on a BWO emerger parachute type fly and grabbed a nice brown. Flailed away for another hour at the other rising fish, but could only manage the single brown. Hes my first on a dry this year, which makes it feel like winter is over for me. Saw a lot of topwater action in the small section I fished, which was very pleasing to me! Its almost here...

P.S. I don't think BWO were hatching. Pretty sure it was just midges but kinda wanted to try the BWO dry I tied, just to see...

CAM00360_zpsfe3e584d.jpg

CAM00361_zps401ee751.jpg

Jim, looking good bud. Congrats.

Thanks Jack! It was a good day, and a pre cursor for the days to come...

I agree, been hittin the trout on olives on Spring creek hard the last week or so.

Nice! Are the olives out there small, like sz 20? I know they are small around here, at least the early ones.

They're 18's, there's always been midges coming off when the olives start though.

Yeah, definitely midges hatching on the LL today. Not BWO, at least where I was fishing.

On Spring today I came up to a bathtub sized back eddie, there were so many olives floating around in it that it looked like a marina. It was great.

Thats where all the risers were for me too. A big fast seam on the near side that went around a big sweeper with 3,4 little seams running into the slower pocket. It was great, but i had a hard time getting a good drift over the fast seam while not getting too close to spook the trouties.

Yea, those dang seams will screw up a drift every time. Tricky, tricky, gotta be slicky. ;]

Tyger, nice going. Hopefully you will get a few more on Sat.

GC

Hopefully. Cant wait to get back up there!

Nice! Always feels good to get that first trout of the year on a dry fly.

Yeah man, felt awesome. I love zippin line off the water to set the hook on a troutie with a dry fly.

Back