Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: First good numbers day of the year

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I say of the 30+ I caught, 2 brookies that were pushing 12 inches were possible holdovers. They had perfect fins, but it is kinda hard to say brookies that large were not stocked at one time in another trib and did not migrate to this stream. Everything else was wild browns and native brookies. Actually I lied, I forgot a fished a very small brook, brown and rainbow stream late in the day and caught 2 browns that were about 6 inches. Was fishing that stream in hopes of a wild bow for the wild trifecta. Here is my biggest for the day, 14inches..........

Forgot I took a pic with my buddies phone of the big brookie. You guys tell me what you think.

Attach file:

jpg  Wild Brown.jpg (129.05 KB)
3949_516c5fd94e134.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  Brookie.jpg (92.88 KB)
3949_516c620c1ee2e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/15 16:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Brown = definitely wild. Brookie = definitely stocked (likely freshly stocked).

Don't think there's much doubt on either, both pretty typical specimens. Nice fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:36

From Media, PA
I also had my first real day of fly fishing resulting in good numbers; not sure but twenty or better. Despite the fact that it was the Little Lehigh, most of the fish I caught and missed were stream bred browns; way more than I've ever see there in the past, with several year classes represented. In addition it was windy with no big hatches, and almost no risers. Best fish 13''; yeah I got some bigger rainbows but they didn't mean much to me. Got a couple decent pix; apologies if you already saw them:
 photo LLehigh4-14-13010_zps290d4191.jpg
 photo LLehigh4-14-13008_zpse7df6131.jpg
 photo LLehigh4-14-13006_zpsb7e30a2c.jpg
 photo LLehigh4-14-13004_zpsc282ac66.jpg

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:54

I trust ya Pcray in regards to the brookie. Now, I will disagree on the recently stocked part. What do you see on the fish that screams recently stocked? Colors?

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:57

Colors are rather bland. Anal and caudal fins are opaque. White and black lines on fins poorly defined. All fins frayed up pretty bad. Size, at least at first glance, appears to be typical stocky size. Body shape rather football like, with small head, indicates a rather young fish that was well fed and grew quickly.

It's certainly stocked, it has pretty much every one of the "stocked" indicators in spades. Not saying it couldn't be a holdover, but based on a picture alone, I see nothing indicating that it is. Most holdovers are noticably longer as a result of living another year, take on better color (especially pink in the belly) and slim down considerably, though the fin factors are often still there after a year in the stream. This one just looks like your every day stocked brook trout to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As Mike recently pointed out with the residency studies that brookies travel the farthest. And I've commonly caught stocked brookies miles from the nearest place where brookies are stocked. Usually downstream. If they don't stock brookies there, he likely came from upstream, maybe a trib that is stocked?

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:02

Pm incoming! Lol

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:22

I'm less in doubt after the PM. Stocked brookie, this year's.....

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:47

From Valley Forge
Damn Pcray sounds like you had a good day I coudnt imagine a day that good man!

Posted on: 2013/4/16 11:56

From Harrisburg
First good number day of my PA career!

I have caught good numbers before, but my definition of good would be 5-7.

Today I tried to get to Clarks Creek to enjoy the fresh stocking. Didn't make it out until noon. However.. as I expected, the dumping holes were over-filled with spinners. I ended up fishing an empty section that I hadn't had luck in during past expeditions - I honestly didn't think wild fish were even there.

Wow, was I wrong! I brought at least 12 to hand today, and was really close on a bunch of others. Had two very decent fish fight and win. 50% of my catch was clearly wild, and an additional 30% was long-term holdover.

Tan caddis was the ticket! The ugly nymphs I have tied were doing pretty well also!

My adventures today reminded me of how much fun it is to fish in Idaho! Find some good riffles, cast in/near them, and watch tons of fish go for your dry!

Posted on: 2013/4/16 23:48

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com