First Fish of 2012

Swattie87

Swattie87

I usually don't get out on New Years Day but we got back a little early from my in laws this time and with the 50 degree temps today I couldn't resist. I'll be honest...the first pic was my first of the year...fortunately the second was a little better! Unfortunately fish 3-10 (or so) after the Brown looked like the first. Can't beat 50 degrees in January though.

Attachments

• 01-01-12 001.JPG
    01-01-12 001.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 01-01-12 002.JPG
    01-01-12 002.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
I caught 2 on Falling Spring today. I hoped to fish before the wind started but it was breezy. It was clear then clouded up fast and it rained.

I struck out today!! Had 4 browns and never got them to hand. Anyone have any tips on getting better hook sets with streamers??

They could have been small little tail nippers-
did you see them?
Feeding fish looking for a meal hit prey sideways so they can swallow the prey head first and avoid getting fins stuck in their throat.

It was a nice day today, so I got out, as well. I only landed 2, but
couldn't get around 5 or 6 "to hand". Strikes were light and the trout in deep pools. Got to love the tied egg, baby.

Attachments

• S4025043.JPG
    S4025043.JPG
    714 KB · Views: 3
I managed to land 2 brownies on Penns today. Also lost 2. Couldn't pass up the 50 degree day also!

I hope it stays nice tomorrow I still have a day off from work! Then winter really sets in. I might try to get out to muddy creek or the gunpowder in md
Pete they were all about 9-14" good size fish but I seem to be having this problem all winter long. At fish I thought it was because they were nipping and I didn't tie with trailing hooks, so I added trailers and I'm still missing fish

I got out for a little while today, landing one, while long-releasing another. It was still good to get my first fish of the year, on the first day of the year - a first for me.

Tight lines to all in 2012!!!

Many,many years as an avid streamer fisherman in the west and I never,repeat never once struck at a fish that hit a streamer as they will hook themselves and very seldom miss.
So you really need to get some on stream advice as there is something wrong.
{talk about belaboring the obvious.lol}
Not meaning to be a SA but there is no way we can figure it out from here.
read up on streamer fishing if you haven't.
i am curious if this is a persistent problem as it just doesn't compute.
good luck and wish I could be more useful.

I caught a few brookies on dry flies from two pocono streams. Two of the brookies had good size, and, even better!, I caught a nice one from a stream I had never been on before...

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 2
Csoult, DaveS and I fished Spring and kicked some ***. We brought close to 20 to hand today. I went 7 for 7. Started the year off right! Csoult is going to be having nightmares though. Feel bad for him. It was just a perfect day and many laughs were had. We really could not have asked for any better! I am to tired to post pics, and Dave has dial up so we may never see those pics :)

I got out this afternoon on and caught my first trout of 2012. It was a respectable 14" rainbow on a white streamer. Happy New Year!

Attachments

• First Fish of 2012 in the bag.JPG
    First Fish of 2012 in the bag.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 1
Had a great January 1st on the tribs. This guy was a fantastic way to start the year.

Attachments

• IMG_1029-1.jpg
    IMG_1029-1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1
I wish the pic was better but by the end of the day we brought 10 to hand on spring between the paradise and benner sections me catching 8(best ever on spring)(no carp) and my brother getting2 in his first time there

although it rained sporadically throughout the the day the fishing was as good as it ever was for me anyways

Attachments

• IMG_20120101_132816.jpg
    IMG_20120101_132816.jpg
    953 KB · Views: 1
There is something special about fishing on New Years Day.

IMGP2002.jpg

BRWildBrown.jpg

Happy New Year

Dot

flipnfly wrote:
I wish the pic was better but by the end of the day we brought 10 to hand on spring between the paradise and benner sections me catching 8(best ever on spring)(no carp) and my brother getting2 in his first time there

although it rained sporadically throughout the the day the fishing was as good as it ever was for me anyways

Awesome Nello! How far did you wall down the canyon? I was waiting for you to walk by.

not reAlly all that far just past the first few bends id say .... what did you guys have success on it was a small black midge with silver rib and a clear bead head for us

I caught all but one of mine with a dubbing on a hook cress bug pattern.

first of the year!

thanks Sas!

Attachments

• 1st2012.jpg
    1st2012.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1
dryflyklesse wrote:
I struck out today!! Had 4 browns and never got them to hand. Anyone have any tips on getting better hook sets with streamers??
I was out 3 days ago and got 7 to hand if I remember correctly. There are many factors that can contribute to fish short striking. Could be they are not in a feeding mode. I have found if they don't want to feed they don't strike with the idea of eating the streamer. Could be the water was a little cold. I have seen fish come up and maul my streamer but not really clamp down on the body of it with their mouth, they just hit the tail of it. Could be if the water was off color they couldn't see it as well as clear water. Or if the water was clear you streamer might of not looked quite right to them so the fish was striking out of irritation.
The other day all of the trout I caught were are on #8 and #6 streamers. At first I was using a soft slow retrieve as I swung it across the stream, the trout would hit it but not very hard and I was not catching them I would just get what felt like "tailbites" I could see the trout on some of the hits and they were not real aggressive. So after half hour of 8 or 9 strikes and no fish I simply sped up the retrieve and used a little more of a twitch to the streamer and in 30 minutes I had 4 fish to hand. So it could be your retrieve.
Hope it helps.
Greg

Back