First Day and dont kno wat to do!!!

H

hueyfree123

Today was my first day fishing for trout... Actually its my first time fishing. I bought the wrong line (8 lb) because everyone is telling me I need 2 or 4 lb... Probly why I didnt catch anything.

Anyway tomorrow Im gonna be buying 2 lb test line and putting it on a spinning reel (Ugly Stik). I use Trout Magnets for bait but the fish dont seem to be biting and I found a "secret spot" where they put fish
in park and still didnt catch anything. In this spot the water was only 1 ft deep and you could see the fish without any problem cause the water is so clear.

When I go back to one of the general holes that everyone knows about, we all catch nothing... Then all of a sudden, up walks some guy with a fly fishing rod and he catches 6 trout in about 20 min. He was using fly bait, bobber, fluorocarbon leader and everyone using a spinner reel caught nothing.

As a newbie, Im wondering does the setup really matter or was it just the bait he was using?

Fly rods cast a fly which represents an insect that might be hatching or bugs in a nymph stage.
Try using an Al's goldfish or trout rooster tail on your spin rod

unfortunatly the true secret spot is any place with a fly rod .sorry thats a jab not that being said i have /still do a lot of spin fishing for trout and theres what i can tell u as far as set ups go ,line 2-4 lb floro i recomend berkley vanish its relitivly cheap for floro and is what i use even with my fly rod . next decide weather you want to fish bait or artificals in almost all cases natural bait will be able to catch trout (taboo in the fly fishing world if im on a stream where bait is allowed i cant catch on flys i dig up worms and use those) if artificals spinners such as rooster tails in white and red or golden brown ,panther martains in any of the trout colors or dark with gold blade ,or small mepps , all spinners should be about the secound size available from manufacture fish them upstream down just fast enough to get the blade spinning . also you can use flys with spin tackle . tie your fly on then add a medium large bobber about 1.5 to 2 times the depth of the water your fishing and let it drift down across from your position if the bobber stops set the hook same with bait . to answer your question as to why he was able to catch fish look at it from the fish's perspective the last couple of days all you have seen is worms shiners and power bait so anything that looks like food and not the aformentioned is probably safe. so to answer your original questions yes your setup will have some effect to catching fish . but it was also the fly that he was using (aka the non bait)as well and probably most important the way he presented the fly (in natural flow with the creek not soddered to the bottom unnaturally)

8lb test is not too heavy for trout, may be too thick depending on what you buy, but probably not. 6lb is a great weight. 2lb is too weak to fight a fish fast to make sure it doesn't get exhausted, and you'll lose fish all the time if you want to keep them. Try some Pline 6lb fluoro or 6lb fluoro/mono mix. It is under 10 for 300 yards and is excellent tippet material. You can buy a 10lb spool a 6, and a four, and make all the tippet you'll need. Try some berkley gulp maggots or worms with a 10 or 8 hook for fish in 1ft of clear water. Impart slight movement. Or buy a fly rod from a big box for 70 bucks and get some marabou streamers, some royal coachmans and caddis and experiment.

On some days flies work better than lures. On some days lures are better. And on many days, bait is the best. Be flexible. I use whatever legal technique is available to catch trout, but some days I just feel like fishing with one technique or the other, even though I know that it might put me at a disadvantage.

I have fished lures for years for trout. Four pound test mono works fine. No leader is necessary, especially if you are on a tight budget. As for trout magnets, I tried them for the first time the other day. Just reel slowly and keep lightly shaking the rod tip. They work, even in holes where the fish have stopped hitting spinners. It is a good one-two punch in combination with spinner fishing. And, yes, rooster-tails and Panther Martins are great lures, but add Kastmaster spoons to your arsenal as well.

Back