Favorite season of year to fish

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
What time of year is your favorite to fly fish?

fall definitely, although it seems to be the shortest season. It is by far the most beautiful. The colors of the leaves and the fish. The air has that crisp smell to it. And the chill feels like a nice cooling off from a hot summer as apposed to spring's feeling of it just being cold. theres a hurry to get all the fishing in that you can "before it all ends".

Fall--
scenery, air temp and feel, and the fish are warry but feed often. Their colors are magnificent, and for some on wild streams, will be the last time they are caught because they won't make it through the Winter.
However, I do hate floating leaves.

Mine would have to be summer because its prime smallie time with alot of top water action to enjoy . Followed real close by spring you can't go wrong with the hatches that spring brings. Which also has alot of top action... :-D

Fall-
If you have mature browns remember they will work up stream to spawn.
Move at night,rest during the day.
If you are on the stream at first light or last light and no ones disturbed the water for a while be sure to very carefully work the tailout water of pools.The biggest browns in the river can sometimes be found in the shallow water that you enter to fish the head of the pool.This is the one time of year where you have a chance to get at some of the streamwise browns because they are not in their normal territory.

I feel like Farmer Dave complaining that someone is trying to pigeon-hole me, but though I chose "Spring" in the poll, my favorite time of year is May and June, both technically considered Spring according to the astronomical calculation of seasons (despite the category divisions chosen by the poll-taker).

I chose Spring.

Although Fall is my favorite time of year, I rarely have time to fish in the fall, at least for trout. So, I chose spring. Specifically, May is my favorite month to fish. By then, the freezer fillers are about done, and the hatches are picking up.

Yup,
May and June for me.

JackM wrote:
I feel like Farmer Dave complaining that someone is trying to pigeon-hole me, but though I chose "Spring" in the poll, my favorite time of year is May and June, both technically considered Spring according to the astronomical calculation of seasons (despite the category divisions chosen by the poll-taker).

That is true Jack, but June is clearly considered to be part of summer according to the Meteorological calendars.

I answered Fall, but I may have been biased by the lovely outing I had Saturday morning. Ask me agian in April after a long cold winter and I might give a different answer.

I voted for spring because thats when I do the majority of my fishing and thats when my favorite hatches are. In the fall I normally only get out on sundays but don't get me wrong I still love to fish in the fall, I would just rather be out in the woods that time of the year.

Spring- good water levels and numerous hatches.

Lots of threads on this subject, but I wanted to officially vote on this.
I'm really surprised by all the people that now favor fall.
One of the reasons i enjoy this time of year, is that the streams are practically deserted, and when I first started fall fishing 20 years ago, they were. Maybe that won't be the case anymore though!

I didn't mean to steal Jaybos thunder by starting another thread. I had intended to only start the poll and then merge it into his post. But the software didn't like that idea so now we have two. Sorry Jaybo

easy one for me, it is fall,Love the fact of having nobody around .Just have to be careful in some of the game lands I fish.Sometimes some hunters don't like seeing someone fishing during hunting season.

I was fishing the opening day of deer/elk season in Montana.I was on the Yellowstone downriver of Livingston.Just about a half hour before sunrise.I looked up and spotted a truly beautiful whitetail buck standing along the bank a little downriver from me.Bang,the guy had his trophy about as quickly as you could legally take one.
Then and there I decided I enjoyed seeing these beautiful animals too much to hunt anymore.Besides we really didn't like deer meat.I am not an anti-hunter and understand culling.I have seen as many as a 1,ooo deer and elk feeding in winter wheat fields in the spring.Hard to see your friends feeding along the river and shoot them.lol

I have to say fall, but I can't rule out those other seasons! I love fishing warm days in the winter for trout, summers at the beach fishing in the salt- whether it is for stripers in Maine or snook and redfish in Fla. So hard to pick a favorite! But I have to say that the fall colors of a little brookie are pretty hard to beat....

Assuming that water conditions are normal, spring. The hatches are on, the days are getting longer, the woods are greening up, and the turkeys are gobbling. Fall is lovely, too, but it is a prelude to, dare I say it, ugly old winter.

I'd love to see this post again in the Spring. Do we all really love Autumn this much, or is it a case of the grass being greener right where you are?

Ian...I was wondering the same thing.

Back