Farmerdave

JoeE

JoeE

Did you refinish those rods yet? If you did you'll have to send me some pics.

Joe E

I haven't touched them yet. However, I hope to redo a split cane travel rod after the first of the year, and possibly fix my trout rod.

This is a test.

Here is a picture of one of the rods I redid. It's a 50s vintage japanese rod. WF 7 works pretty well on it.

I'm pretty sure this is the same rod. Note the old automatic reel which i often use on my Bass rod. It needs the extra weight to help balance it out.

Who says split cane is fragile?

Farmer Dave, do you sell any of the rods you build?

Matt, I haven't actually built any. I rebuild old rods as a hobby. I should say I used to do it as a hobby, but got away from it for about 4 years and plan to start back up. I have not made any blanks which is the heart of rod building. I don't have the equipment or expertise. But to answer your question, normally I don’t sell them, but I have sold a couple on ebay in the past. One was just a minor repair, the other was a complete stripdown to the bare blank, and i didn't like the feel. I wouldn't try selling one on this site. Besides, i think it is against the rules or at least it was in the old days.

So far, these have all been lower end production rods that you can pick up for very little. Even the one in the picture was thrown in along when I bought another. I feel they often perform very well. I love the feel of the one in the picture. I've had a couple of them. The reason they were cheap is because they were mass produced. They were just milled, and not hand planed. If you looked at it before refinishing, you would see gaps. It isn't quite as apparent once it is all done. I think it looks pretty good.

There is something about that first fish you catch on an old vintage rod that you have brought back to life after a half century of collecting dust. I can't explain it.

Dear Dave,

Welcome back, I was wondering where you were?

Still getting those slammer bluegills out of your pond?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Thanks, and yes. Especially the hybrids... and they hit like bass. Caught one on a 2/0 hook using a soft plastic 8 inch salamander. Couldn’t believe it!

Had a friend over and he used a 6X tippet. I warned him it was too light. I was right. He thought they were bass breaking him off, but after going to heavier tippet, he caught several. I need to buy more of those hybrids this spring. They are a blast.

Also have yellow perch now in the pond in the woods. They are growing fat eating the stunted green sunfish.

Thanks Dave. Just curious. I've been hunting for a affordable bamboo rod that why I asked. Thanks for the info!

A South Bend 290 is generally an affordable rod which fishes very nicely.

A friend gave me one which I rehabbed. It has plenty of power and a great feel to it. You can generally find one on Ebay or by searching the web. There are some sites devoted to vintage bamboo and they have swap forums. (I'm afraid I don't have them handy though, if I can recall the addresses I'll add them here)

Matt, I was informed that this site now has a swap forum, so i guess I might consider selling one here. However, the problem is I don't like doing business with friends, and i consider you and the rest of the frequest visitors to this site to be friends. The reason is ... in case it doesn't work out ... well, I wouldn't want that for anyone, especially with a friend. If i did decide to sell one here, I'd probably sell it only for what I have into it, and I can go real cheap or real expensive. you would be surprised at the range of prices on components.

Unfortunately, I don't have any right now that i would consider selling, and it might be awhile. I will be doing a few for my own use first and that might take awhile. I have an old travel rod I want to do, followed by an old Montague Flash. They are very common and very cheap. I'd probably consider selling the Flash if it turns out I don't like the feel, but I doubt it. It would make a good bluegill rod. I have parts for about 3 of them, but only one complete rod. If you could find a tip section for a flash, I'd build the second one for you. Then I plan to redo an old split cane bait casting rod just for the heck of it, and just because i have one. I'll use it, too.

You might want to look on Ebay for now. There are always rods for sale on Ebay, and you can sometimes find rebuilt rods for fairly cheap. Cheaper than a new one and sometimes not much more than one that hasn't been rebuilt or restored. but be patient.

Joe is right about the 290, but I have broken a different South Bend built rod right at the ferrule on the mid section ... twice!!! While casting! Wasn't even fighting a fish at the time. Going for a few extra feet on the cast, and SNAP! Because of that, I don't like the ferrules used by South Bend, but that's just me. It could be I had it overlined, too. I don't baby these rods, so others may not have seen these problems.

Also, watch out for cheap replacement ferrules. I bought a bunch, and don't like those either. Hey Joe, Wanna buy some ferrules??? :-D

Hey Matt, Joe builds really nice rods from scratch. I know, I used one of them for steelhead. Unfortunately he is getting away from the Hex stuff and getting into those silly Quad rods. :-D

Dave, No thanks with the cheap ferrules; I’ll stay with the nickel/silver. I’ve been getting them for less than 30 dollars a set. Quads just have my interest for now. I’m sure I’ll find a taper or two that I really like. They are definitely different than Hex rods (a little more difficult to make and a little fast than the traditional Hex). I do have to finish two Hex rods I started before spring smallmouth. They are only .010 from final taper then I received my Quad forms and never got back to finishing them. Although my Dad put in a request for an 8’8” 7wt Quad so after a get my bench clear of the Quads I started, I’ll take care of his rod. So I’ll end up not having my smallmouth rod probably not until next year. But I’m sure I’ll make do with one of the other cane rods I have in the meantime.

Back